Which faction is easiest to master?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Loyalists
29%
Northerners
10%
Rebels
47%
Knaglan
5%
Drakes
No votes
Undead
9%

Total votes: 86

Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I'm trying to teach my younger brothers(11, 14) to play Wesnoth multiplayer and recently one of them asked me which faction should he practice first. And I realized that there is no simple answer to this question, especially if you've seen thousands of threads locked because "default era is perfectly balanced, unless you provide a replay". Yeah, of course it is, but still, there might be some factions easier to play. Drakes are the most obvious no for me. I told them that Rebels are easy, because they are mostly neutral. Northerners have the cheapest units though, so it doesn't hurt that bad if you make a mistake. And loyalists are the most "intuitive"... and the list could go on. So I would like to ask you: if you had to choose, which faction would you call the easiest to learn?
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Which faction is easiest to master?

Post by Iris »

Rebels.

Even the flagship campaign and the tutorial use them!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

IMO, depends on how you define it and who it is.

Easiest to master as in easiest to become proficent to the point where you are a threat to a master would be Loyalists .

Easiest to learn in such a way that you can play effectively (enough to beat generic server player consistantly) and learn general dynamics/principles for a defensive player would be Rebels or Northerners for a more agressive player.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Chtomorc

Post by Chtomorc »

I also think Rebels are an easy starting faction...

Almost every unit got melee and range attack with different type of damage. Their movement type is not to restrictive and they are neutrals...
Each of this point make them easier to play with when you just discover wesnoth.

Once the first learning is made, Northerners and Loyalists are the next step I think.
My writing frightens you? Consider you happy not to hear me :p
Tribes of the North MP era : factions developpement and unit's sprites
powershot

Post by powershot »

Rebels, And when I play default, I like using rebels(and Vulcans too :mrgreen: ).
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I would vote Loyalists. The fact that they are the most Lawful faction in the game significantly simplifies certain aspects of the decision-making process. You almost always attack at day and retreat at night. Because of that, they play reasonably similarly against most of the other factions. Despite the fact that Rebels are canonically the starter faction, I find them more difficult to explain to new players. Their units are low-HP and terrain dependent, they are lawful against three factions and chaotic against two, and the key units vary significantly by matchup. That's just my experience, though.

Powershot, please don't take this personally, but nobody cares about your private modifications to the default era. Bringing them up in a discussion of vanilla Wesnoth will just confuse the issue.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I find the Loyalists the easiest faction to master. They are the most versatile faction. You can win against any type of foe when you're using loyalists. They also have good footing in most types of terrain.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Rya

Post by Rya »

Voting Rebels

Most rebels are neutral which makes them easier for beginners than loyalists which are all lawful.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Hmm, so mainly it's Rebels vs Loyalists vs Northerners. Would any mod be kind enough to make this thread a poll? I'd love to see the results in numbers... :mrgreen:
powershot

Post by powershot »

I think northerners is out of the question, unless you want real basic(no healers, etc.).

Anyway, I vote Rebels! :D
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Dunno wrote:Would any mod be kind enough to make this thread a poll? I'd love to see the results in numbers... :mrgreen:
This is your thread. Just edit your first post, scroll down and fill in the "poll" options. ;)

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Happy birthday!

Rebels.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Who's Birthday?

I voted Rebels, How do you make a poll?
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Gambit wrote:Happy birthday!

Rebels.
Thanks!
Crendgrim wrote:
Dunno wrote:Would any mod be kind enough to make this thread a poll? I'd love to see the results in numbers... :mrgreen:
This is your thread. Just edit your first post, scroll down and fill in the "poll" options. ;)

Crend
It's not that easy. Making polls is disabled for normal users.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

I voted for Northerner. :D

Grrr... you don't vote for Northerner, me smash you.
R.I.P