Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: The new Wesnoth logo and the Loyalist sigil

Post by LordBob »

JAP wrote:I’m just tossing out the idea here, but wouldn’t it be nice with a new title screen to go with the new shiny logo?
That's definitely something we could work on, given some time. Ideally, to be released along with both the new logo and a UI revamp (Eleazar had such a project in mind, I think)
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

beetlenaut wrote:The whole point of blurring the map is to make it fade into the background instead of competing with the other elements. Increasing the saturation and leaving some parts of it unblurred would defeat that purpose.

To decrease contrast and increase saturation I'd need the map and logo on separate layers, but I suggested doing the latter because reducing the contrast would make it look very washed-out. A bit (not much) more saturation might help make it look less so whilst still letting the logo stand out.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Some changes to the letters:
  • Single story "a" which lacks the problematic thin parts of the double story one.
  • New "t".
  • The "T" and "h" of "The" have been customised to allow a tighter, "umbrella" kerning. Also, the whole word is scaled smaller.
  • The upper curve of "f" is a bit more curvy
Also, I modified the map to make it look more washed out. It was achieved by copying the map layer, blurring the bottom one with 6 pixel radius and giving the top one "lighten only" blend mode and 85% opacity. The result is more pleasant than just blurring, the background looks pretty much the same but the details look faded, though still pretty sharp. The logo stands out now much better.
Attachments
fadedmap.jpg
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Also, I modified the map to make it look more washed out.
Well played! That does look nice.

I think you could have gone farther though: The trees still compete with the logo a little too much because they have the same value and a similar hue. I would try lightening them a little and nudging their hue towards the brown of the map background. (I tried it, but had to go too far to make it look good with the current, less-colorful logo.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

...or just reposition the map so that the logo doesn't overlap with the forests. The forest is going to be rather dark anyway so the drop shadow doesn't work as a separation from it.

At any rate, it should now be demonstrated that adjusting the map will work in making the logo discernible.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:The forest is going to be rather dark anyway so the drop shadow doesn't work as a separation from it.
Not necessarily. The forest doesn't have to be much darker than the mountains:
background3.jpg
A drop shadow would work over those forests. The background also looks more homogeneous this way like a background should.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

Since you are modifying the background map: May i suggest choosing a part of the map (or version of the map) without any labels in it? It would look better in the washed out form, I think, and for i18n it would be better too.

Greetings

Lurker
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Just a general reminder: the XCF (GIMP layered format) source of the main map can be found in SVN.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

A new version of the map, with labels removed and forests faded out. A screenshot of how it looks like in the game:
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

So, when does that get committed? :D
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That’s going to look slightly different on 1.9/1.10 since the titlescreen view no longer uses a custom renderer, and relies on GUI2 functionality instead. (Some functionality is missing, like blurred transparent panels, because in practice this causes odd behavior like constantly increasing blur due to mishandled events.) The dialog geometry is not the same as in 1.8.7 either.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

So, when does that get committed?
For my part, the major design decisions are made, it only needs some minor work like making the rest of the capitals, some tweaks to the shadow (I'm not happy about it's current colour or how it behaves around sharp points). Also, the shield and swords part has been sitting on the shelf for months, I need to revisit it and see if there's something in it that I have since learned to do better.

I'm on summer vacation now and have plenty of time to work on it, so it should be wrapped up pretty soon. Definitely by the end of July, so that Koma's son will get his shirt with the new design. :)
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

I still urge you not to blur the border. Apart from that it looks very nice indeed.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Good work sir, a nice improvement. The blur effect works too without being annoying. I only have one suggestion; To make the green in the center of every letter a little brighter, or perhaps thinner. As of now the dark lines it creates have the effect of making the text harder to read. I think it does to me at least...
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The blur effect works too without being annoying. I only have one suggestion; To make the green in the center of every letter a little brighter, or perhaps thinner. As of now the dark lines it creates have the effect of making the text harder to read. I think it does to me at least.
The problem is that decreasing any contrast in the reflection pattern, while making the text look more legible in small scale, will make it look less realistic and metallic in larger scale. I just have to strike the balance somewhere.

Here's some work on the shield, I have completely remade the spectre embossing. It's a quick attempt in bumpmapping, and parts of it, especially the flame, look much better than the previous, hand drawn version (in the background). I'm still going to hand draw it, to keep the look consistent with the rest, but I can use the bumpmapped version as a template.
Attachments
Icon-swordshield2-9.jpg
kuin syntien tekijätkin.