Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zaimoni

Re: Wesband 0.6.1, improved inventory management

Post by zaimoni »

Having some problems deciphering the WML, so I'll just ask:

If one has so much armor that a hand calculation gives a resistance above 100%, the displayed resistance starts going down. E.g., if calculated resistance is 110% then the display resistance is 90%. Is the resistance actually used in damage calculations going to be 110% (which trivializes to 1 point), or 90%?

(This never happened in the 0.4.x series; it looks like the iron plate and iron greaves have been so boosted that combined they can exceed 100% without regard to the helmet choice for blade and pierce.)
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

I don't know what the engine does when handed a negative number for resistance (in-engine resists are handled as 100 minus the displayed value), so for the next version I will be adding code to cap the resists at 0 as a quick fix. At some point, I will also take a look at toning down the base values and/or rank/attribute adjustment for armor. How far had you descended into the dungeon before acquiring this armor? Did it have an attribute (heavy, new, etc.)?
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

By the time I was starting DL 7, the range of iron plate blade resistances was 56%-68%. The two lowest ones (56% and 58%) were on New iron plate that I had purchased before starting DL3 and DL4. The other two were normal.

The range of iron greaves blade resistances was narrower: 45%-55%. These were normal; I had retired a purchased before DL3 Polished iron greaves for only having 40% blade resistance.

I was intentionally avoiding the thick iron plate and iron greaves as I didn't want to knock down the dwarves to three movement points from four movement points. I didn't see any after completing DL5, however.

The range of blade resistances from leather helmets was 10%-13%. (My soldiers are outfitted with crossbows, so it is important not to impair crossbow damage).
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

New game, to give better information. I just pushed dwarf soldier #1 to 102% nominal blade resistance in the shopping run after completing dungeon level 5. Current armor is:

new leather cap: blade 10% impact 13%
polished iron plate: blade 60% impact 17% pierce 45%
new iron greaves: blade 52% impact 16% pierce 58%

By comparison, the highest rated leather cap obtained as loot is has resistances blade 7%, impact 10%.
MrL4mppu

Post by MrL4mppu »

This may be stubid question, but i would like to know where i can download wesband.

Sorry I'm new.

EDIT.

Ty. I didn't want to make new post cause i could easily edit.
Last edited by MrL4mppu on May 14th, 2011, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

It's available for download in-game through the add-on server. At the main menu, choose "add-ons", then "connect", then type "wesb" into the filter to find wesband (note: it is currently only available for the stable versions of BfW, not the development versions).
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

Wesband 0.6.1 is broken for multiplayer?

I (kernigh) tried to play Wesband with L4mppu, but I got out-of-sync (OOS) errors. We used the multiplayer server; L4mppu was host. The OOS errors always happened when we entered the dungeon. (There was no OOS for the first game, but we died quickly. All the remakes had OOS errors.) From chat, I think that L4mppu and I had different maps, with monsters in different places. We both reinstalled Wesband, so we both had 0.6.1, but this did not prevent the OOS errors.

Also, every player, except Kernigh and L4mppu, left the game at the beginning of turn 1. The game probably kicked those players for unknown units. There seems to be no way to stop those players (who have not installed Wesband) from joining the game. There is no Wesband era, so we use the Default era to create Wesband games.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Did the error messages provide any more information? I did a check for uses of random where there should be rand - the most likely source of OOS errors (and surprisingly I found some, I thought we had cleared them all out long ago), but they were in a place that isn't used much, and is completely unrelated to dungeon creation; selection of random elemental types when using the summon elemental spell.

Also, check and make sure all players have the same version of BfW. The last time this issue occurred, it turned out that BfW 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 were generating different random terrain variations, and getting everybody on the same version of BfW fixed it. If one of you had upgraded to 1.8.6 while the other was still using 1.8.5 it's possible that might have caused the OOS.
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

As long as we're reviewing bugs: for what race/class combinations does purchasing "Upgrade Movement" actually work as advertised? [Dwarf Soldier is not one of them: if movement points are currently under maximum then the *current* movement points are increased by one, but this increase does not affect maximum move rate.]

Verified for both Wesnoth 1.8.5 and Wesnoth 1.8.6; playing all four sides as hot-seat. I haven't checked with earlier versions of 1.8.x, so it's possible this is a regression.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

I just started a new dwarf soldier and checked, and max moves seems to be working as intended (there's also no race/class specific code in that calculation; it works the same for everybody). Does your dwarf still have his starting equipment? If not, it could be a result of the specific weight penalty of your equipment. The amount of movement penalty you receive from your armor is a percentage of your base move, rounded up. If your equipment has 17-20 total evade penalty (after subtracting out your character's evade bonus), then moving from 5 base move (5*[17%-20%] -> [.85-1] -> 1 move lost) to 6 base move (6*[17%-20%] -> [1.02-1.2] -> 2 move lost) won't increase your adjusted base move. Similarly, 15-16 won't show an increase going from 6 to 7.
For reference, a starting dwarf soldier has 13 evade penalty and 5 base moves; equipping a shield with 4 to 7 evade penalty (a round shield with no attribute has 5 penalty), for example, would put him into the range to see no immediate gain from increasing max moves (although he would see a benefit if he later reduced his penalty to 16 or less, increased it to 21 or more, or increased max moves a second time).
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

That should be it, then. (These dwarves are in much heavier equipment than their starting equipment). Thanks.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Hurray, I'm glad to see it is still being worked on! I'll have to get back into it now. 8)
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

Exasperation wrote:Also, check and make sure all players have the same version of BfW. The last time this issue occurred, it turned out that BfW 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 were generating different random terrain variations, and getting everybody on the same version of BfW fixed it. If one of you had upgraded to 1.8.6 while the other was still using 1.8.5 it's possible that might have caused the OOS.
I had 1.8.5 but I think that the other player had 1.8.6. I might want to upgrade!
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Kernigh wrote:
Exasperation wrote:Also, check and make sure all players have the same version of BfW. The last time this issue occurred, it turned out that BfW 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 were generating different random terrain variations, and getting everybody on the same version of BfW fixed it. If one of you had upgraded to 1.8.6 while the other was still using 1.8.5 it's possible that might have caused the OOS.
I had 1.8.5 but I think that the other player had 1.8.6. I might want to upgrade!
The Wesnoth devs will tell you that you won't get an OoS for different maintenance versions of Wesnoth, but I can tell you first hand, at least for Wesband, that is lies.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Always have the same version of wesnoth. Every software engineer should know different versions make a huge difference, but our hubris blinds our eyes to the simple truth...we don't know enough to say for sure ;p.