Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AlaskanAvenger

Re: Khalifate feedback thread

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

loyalist vs Khalifate. An interesting matchup indeed because the chargers have no pierce melee to fear and especially with leadership can be very hard on the jundi's and arifs. Also the khalifate don't have any super good ranged unit except the rami which is vulnerable to almost all loyalist units. Falcons are still a little too strong but overall this matchup is fairly balanced imo. Unfortunately we got an oos around turn 19 or 20 and had to stop.
Attachments
2p_-_Weldyn_Channel_replay.gz
(22.56 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Scatha

Post by Scatha »

Another replay of the Khalifate beating Knalgans on Silverhead Crossing. Similar strategy of a daytime assault spearheaded by Arifs backed up by a healer. Jundis are also a notably very strong (because versatile!) unit.
Attachments
Silverhead_-_Khalifate_against_Knalgans.gz
(22.01 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Wintermute wrote:Here are some 2p maps I'm curious about (against loy, elf, orc):

Weldyn Channel
Silverhead
Hornshark
Caves
and to some extent Fallenstar.
Just don't use the old Hornshark. ;)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
einsiedlerkrebs

Post by einsiedlerkrebs »

Hey,

it looks interesting, will test it in onlineMP.

there is a bug, the Mahid has in blue xp bar... but cant level up.

looking forward
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

tekelili wrote:From khalifate point of view, I see very difficult attack or advance due to your total lack of chances of negate a hex forest to an elf player, As you dont have any unit with more than 40 def to place there
Actually, you have exactly one - the falcon, which has 60% everywhere. No ZoC, though, and they're not massively durable. Might work better if they get traits, since you could get a resilient one.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

True, I should have written "meaningfull unit". Anyway I think you will become agree with me that duality hill/forest from knalgan vs elves, where mages can attack fighters/guardsman and woses can attack thunders/guardsman, but knalga has 3 units with 60 def or more for forest, is extreme in khalifa vs elves.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Version 0.8 out.

Changelog:
*** Version 0.8 ***
Fixed remaining OOS errors... again... please let them all be fixed now! Seriously!!!!1!!
Fixed leveling bug, units now gain the default ALMA.
Changed Khaiyal movetype (and thus also resists) from armored to regular horse (IE same as rami).
Added -10% cold weakness to regular horse movetype (all unarmored horse units as above).
Reduced falcon defense on villages to 50% (In 1.8 this makes it act like a bat but at 50/60 instead of 40/60 - it mimics what feral will do in 1.9.x).
Added -10% cold weakness to lightfoot movetype (hakim, naffat).
I will be pretty busy for about the next week so I doubt I'll have time for another version until after that. Thanks for the replays and feedback here and on the server.

Please post version 0.8 replays after this point.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Version 0.9 out.

Changelog:
*** Version 0.9 ***
Falcon cost changed 11->12.
An important detail that I forgot to include in version 0.8, so I wanted to get that in there quickly before everyone upgraded.

Please post version 0.9 replays after this point.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Excellent. ^_^

Will do as soon as I get the time to play some proper test games.
That does mean incomplete 0.7 games are invalidates, but that's no problem.

So that fixed the Qanas anomaly. But does that mean that if a Khaiyal levels into a Faris while it's standing on a mountain or swamp hex, it has 0% evasion? That is strange.
Attachments
Test game vs myself - Yes, the Faris does get 0% evasion.
Test game vs myself - Yes, the Faris does get 0% evasion.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Skrim wrote:Excellent. ^_^

Will do as soon as I get the time to play some proper test games.
That does mean incomplete 0.7 games are invalidates, but that's no problem.

So that fixed the Qanas anomaly. But does that mean that if a Khaiyal levels into a Faris while it's standing on a mountain or swamp hex, it has 0% evasion? That is strange.

A very good point which I had not thought of at all. Ouch. Not sure quite what to do about that. Perhaps as a baind-aid I can just add a defense value for mountains.

Also, version 0.9 fixed the "level 3 unit levels into another level 3 unit" bug but I forgot to add it to the changelog.

EDIT: added defense values to the armored horse movetype so that the leveling problem mentioned above isn't an issue. I hate to release so many versions in such a jagged way, but I think it's best to just move up to 1.0 quickly and then turn ya'll loose on the best version I have.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Version 1.0 out.

Changelog:
*** Version 1.0 ***
Fixed bug where Khaiyal could level into a unit with 0% defense on some terrain.
Please post version 1.0 replays after this point.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I forgot to coment a thing about falcons. They look really bad when level. I am happy with I get when I level a bat, besides I have to pay upkeep for him. I think lvl1 falcons dont worth upkeep if you compare them with lvl0 ones. I dont know is this good or bad for balance, just pointing it.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

How do you get 1.0? :?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

WM wrote:it's best to just move up to 1.0 quickly and then turn ya'll loose on the best version I have
thats the way...i like it :twisted: ill maybe check it out this weekend 8) 8) 8) , i cant await all the cool action in 2v2 and 3v3s !!! :lol2:
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

Played a drake vs khalifate game on silverhead crossing, unfortunately forgot to get recording of it. I was drakes and was badly defeated by jundi's and khaiy'al. falcons were not used much at all. I played a largely defensive game which I know is a poor strat as drakes, but with the jundi's ability to take to hills and deal retaliation in both melee and range made them very difficult to attack. Also I focussed too much on clashers in an attempt to hold off the khaiy'al on the defense, resulting in free strikes for the jundis who when I attacked in return, I almost always dished out stiff retaliation.