Installation on 64-bit Win7?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taistelutomaatti

Installation on 64-bit Win7?

Post by Taistelutomaatti »

Hello everyone, I heard about Wesnoth yesterday and I must say that it looks amazing for a freeware title :D But there's a small problem I've encountered - you see, I can't install it. The Win32 installer doesn't work on 64-bit systems, and the guides to compiling it on my system just read like a textbook on theoretical physics to me :(

Could someone tell me if there's a way to do a direct install? Or of any alternative ways to install?

Attempting to install the latest dev branch.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Installation on 64-bit Win7?

Post by Pentarctagon »

My computer is Windows 7 64-bit, and I was able to install 1.9.5 and 1.8.5 from the download link on the main-page just fine. If you could provide some more information (where you are installing it to, what happens when you try to install, etc), it would be more helpful.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Taistelutomaatti

Post by Taistelutomaatti »

Pentarctagon wrote:My computer is Windows 7 64-bit, and I was able to install 1.9.5 and 1.8.5 from the download link on the main-page just fine. If you could provide some more information (where you are installing it to, what happens when you try to install, etc), it would be more helpful.
Oh dear.. It seems like I was trying to install it in the default x86 program files directory, which doesn't accept 32-bit programs :oops: Now that I'm installing anywhere else, it works great :D Thanks for the quick reply and for saving me from my own stupidity :P Cheers!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Taistelutomaatti wrote:Oh dear.. It seems like I was trying to install it in the default x86 program files directory, which doesn't accept 32-bit programs :oops: Now that I'm installing anywhere else, it works great :D Thanks for the quick reply and for saving me from my own stupidity :P Cheers!
Ok, so I know your problem was resolved and everything, but just for future reference, the x86 folder is precisely where you want to install 32-bit programs such as Wesnoth. I'm not sure why you had a problem there, but for other users, that is the default directory.
Paxe

Post by Paxe »

Good night everyone

You can also install it in a pen drive 2GB. In this way you do not need to have it installed in a unique computer. And can play in any windows computer anytime. Have tried in Windows 7 64 bit, 32, windows XP professional and works perfectly. I allways play this way.

Do not forget to carry with you your pendrive... I allways bring it with me everywhere. ;)

Just an idea to keep in mind.

Sincerely

Paxe
Best computer game ever played?...... Wesnoth, The Battle for Wesnoth, of course!
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

I'm glad that my old idea of 'Portable Wesnoth' managed to gain some steam, awesome! I'll have to give it a try on that. :)

Be advised though that Wesnoth does do a lot of read/writes to the drive so its a good idea to just copy it to the computer you'll be playing on and just play off of that (making sure to copy back the settings/save files when done).

If you play straight off the USB flash drive then it'll wear out a lot quicker.

You could also avoid this issue by just playing off of an external USB hard drive, preferably one that has a separate power adapter (because USB has strict limits on power that can come from USB ports and hard drives may error more if they need more power for something like lots of read/writes like for a game).

I have Win7 64-bit and it runs perfectly for me. Make sure you're running the install program as an administrator. You install 32-bit programs (pretty much everything) in your 'Program Files x86' folder, and all 64-bit native programs in your regular program files folder. Would've been nice if M$ had done it the other way around and put all 64-bit native programs in a 'Program Files x64' folder with all the 32-bit programs in the regular folder but meh.

Good luck and enjoy!
Manhaes

Post by Manhaes »

Hi there, old time Wesnoth player (I ran it on a 600Mhz machine back then :P), back to enjoy some more of the game. I'm now running a 64bit Win7 (SP1), and also encountered this problem. I tried installing the game (version 1.8.6 just d/l'd from the site) on "Program Files x86" folder and on a different location, didn't seem to make a difference -- in both cases when I tried to run the game I immediately got the popup "wesnoth.exe has stopped working". I'm copying the Windows crash report below, in case it's relevant (the game didn't get to start, so no stderr.txt file was generated:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wesnoth.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4dcbe49c
Fault Module Name: StackHash_4c0d
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 91be0000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1046
Additional Information 1: 4c0d