Wesnoth 1.8 Translation Issue [split from Wesnoth 1.9.5]

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maxime

Wesnoth 1.8 Translation Issue [split from Wesnoth 1.9.5]

Post by Maxime »

Hi all !
I am a French player so if you don't understand what I say please don't hesitate to ask me to repeat.
I would like to congratulate all the traductors, especially the French ones because all the mainlines campaigns are very well traduced. It is a real pleasure for me to play Wesnoth in my own language !

That's why i've got a question : The last available campaign named "Les mémoires de Delfeador" (Delfeador's memories, i think, in english) has been created for a quite long time now but it is still not traduced in French.
I know that it is not a priority for you but please don't forget the French Wesnoth players ! To understand the scenario is very important for foreign players.
Do you know if this campaign will be traduced and if yes, when ? I Downloaded the 1.8.5 version and it's still in English.

Many thanks by advrance for your answers, and sorry for my approximative english.

Max
Viliam
Translator

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.5

Post by Viliam »

Maxime wrote:The last available campaign named "Les mémoires de Delfeador" (Delfeador's memories, i think, in english) has been created for a quite long time now but it is still not traduced in French.
Looking at translation statistics, "wesnoth-dm" in version 1.8.5 is fully translated. This is the finished version, for normal players.

In version 1.9.5 the translation is cca 90% finished. That is normal and expected. The development version means it is not finished yet -- it is published for testing purposes. It can containg bugs, missing translations etc. When it becomes finished, the translation will be probably finished too.

version 1.8.5 (stable) -- idéal pour les joueurs.
version 1.9.5 (development) -- pour expériment; le jeu est pas fini; traductions ne sont pas finis.
Maxime

Post by Maxime »

Thank you for your fast answer and also for your link, it is very usefull for me.
I confirm that I play wesnoth 1.8.5 and i'm sorry because i posted in the wrong subject.
I just tested another time the delfeador's memories campaign and it is not completely traduced. I think around 50%.
Well, I played scenario 1 and 2 + intro and it is very strange because sometimes it's in french and sometimes in english ! I mean in the same scenario, the same game, i've got words in french and other words in english. So it's is unplayable. (to understand the scenario)
Can you help me ?

Many thanks.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

It appears the translation was finished after 1.8.5 came out. I have attached a compressed version of the translation that you can use to replace the one you currently have.

Unarchive the file and copy it to your Wesnoth game data directory/translations/fr/LC_MESSAGES directory, replacing the wesnoth-dm.mo file already there.

As an alternative you can wait until 1.8.6 is released but I don't know when that might happen (and it may not).
Attachments
wesnoth-dm.mo.zip
(56.45 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Maxime wrote:it is very strange because sometimes it's in french and sometimes in english ! I mean in the same scenario, the same game, i've got words in french and other words in english.
In campaigns each phrase is translated independently. So if the translation is not 100% completed, this is what you usually get.

(The numbers in statistics mean the number of phrases already translated. In game the "translated" will appear in French, the "fuzzy" and "untranslated" will appear in English; "fuzzy" being a translation made by computer which must be yet verified by a human.)
Alarantalara wrote:It appears the translation was finished after 1.8.5 came out.
This makes sense.

The French translation statistics (stable) does not reflect 1.8.5 version, but rather today status, between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I understood that fuzzy usually means that there was an old version of this string which was already translated, and then the original English string got changed, which means that the translation has to be checked whether it still applies. I think the fuzzy strings will still be shown in your target language (but might not totally fit to what happens).

(Disclaimer: I did not try it, I only read the documentation, and even this was already some months ago.)

Edit: Also, as related news: There is planned a new 1.8.6 release in a week or a bit more, which should then contain the complete translations. This will likely be the last 1.8 release, if there is no new major bug to be found.
Maxime

Post by Maxime »

Alarantalara wrote:It appears the translation was finished after 1.8.5 came out. I have attached a compressed version of the translation that you can use to replace the one you currently have.

Unarchive the file and copy it to your Wesnoth game data directory/translations/fr/LC_MESSAGES directory, replacing the wesnoth-dm.mo file already there.

As an alternative you can wait until 1.8.6 is released but I don't know when that might happen (and it may not).

Thank you very much, this solution resolved my problem and i've got all the text in French, you're so efficient !
Well, i'm gonna discover this new campaign at once !

Just another question, i saw in the link below that some unofficial campaigns are also traduced in French ! I mean the add-ons like "danse macabre" ( The only add-on with a French title :D )
But when I played these add ons, they're completely in English, can you indicate me the way to have it in French ? If you explain me how to do it would be grateful because i will be able to do it myself for all others add ons traduced.
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

"Danse Macabre" is just "en Français dans le texte" (our language is still a bit known... ;) ), but since it comes from a Japanese author, I highly doubt it's translated in French.
And it's also quite recent, so I doubt the French translators started working on it yet.
Don't get misguided by titles =)
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Maxime wrote: Just another question, i saw in the link below that some unofficial campaigns are also traduced in French ! I mean the add-ons like "danse macabre" ( The only add-on with a French title :D )
But when I played these add ons, they're completely in English, can you indicate me the way to have it in French ? If you explain me how to do it would be grateful because i will be able to do it myself for all others add ons traduced.
The page Villiam linked to will tell you how completely most of the unofficial campaigns are translated. The following are mostly translated (from most to least):
Story of the Wose
The Final Exam
A New Order
Dead Water

In addition, if you don't care about dialog, my campaign, The Roar of the Woses, has tous les objectifs translated, so you should be able to know what to do, if not why.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

The best you can do for French translations is bring more French translators to the project. :eng:
Maxime

Post by Maxime »

Well, Danse macabre is a bad example. In fact my question is : How to get the unofficial campaigns -already translated in French- in French language ?

Story of the Wose
The Final Exam
A New Order
Dead Water

When I played these campaign it's all in English ! I just wanna know how to do to have these in French, because I know that they are traduced. (as mentionned in the French translations statistics)
Sorry to have not been clear.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Wesnoth 1.8 Translation Issue [split from Wesnoth 1.9.5]

Post by Iris »

The best you could do is to bug the campaigns’ maintainers to pull the updated translations from WesCamp-i18n.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.