Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Exasperation

Re: Wesband 0.4.4, now with 4 players

Post by Exasperation »

I think things went into hibernation, but aren't dead by any means. Both Ken_Oh and I came down with severe cases of being busy a while back. While I can't speak for Ken_Oh, I'm just now getting back to Wesnoth, and have started picking up where I left off (need to reacquaint myself with WML, Lua, and the Wesband codebase, though).

While there hasn't been a lot of progress recently, there has been progress. There are about 50 lines worth of changelog messages (before cleaning out any redundant/silly comments) for stuff that's been done since the last release. I could probably put together a new release for you guys without too much difficulty (I do have access to the .pbl, although I haven't made use of it yet). I don't think there are currently any huge bugs introduced by the new changes that need to be addressed before another release could occur (although there are probably some old bugs that have yet to be fixed).
Exasperation

Re: Wesband 0.6.0, now with better inventory management

Post by Exasperation »

OK, Wesband 0.6.0 is now available on the add-on server.
Changes include:
-New inventory management menu (drop item, get item, give item, and manage inventory are all merged into one manage inventory command). You can manage your own inventory as well as the inventory of any hired/skeletal henches; just right click on the unit that you want to manage and select manage inventory. This also means you can use inventory-capable henches to collect items/gold (items go into their inventory, but gold gets automatically transferred to the player).
-Enemies now drop weapons/armor of varying quality (generally improving as you go deeper into the dungeon).
-Two new spells with associated items.
-Many bugfixes and behind-the-scenes improvements (more details available in the changelog).

Ken_Oh should be editing the first post to reflect this fairly soon, although I don't know if there will be new screenshots for this version.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesband 0.4.4, now with 4 players

Post by Ken_Oh »

Golbeeze wrote:It has been about 5 months since you posted, Ken_Oh. Are you still working on Wesband? I've been looking forward to progress on this project and I hope it hasn't disintegrated.
Hey, Golbeeze!

Yeah, I haven't exactly fallen off of the face of the earth, but, as Exasperation suspected, I got hit with a whole lot of real life busy-ness since 5 months ago. I have some things in the pipeline that may or may not make it into the game soon, and I hope to continue to contribute really soon. However, I can't really spearhead the development at the moment and am not sure when I would be able to do so.

That said, Wesband is apparently still very lucky to have Exasperation's attention, whose skills and creativity I can't speak highly enough of.
MCP

Re: Wesband 0.6.0, improved inventory management

Post by MCP »

Bugs:
1. I'm playing as the dwarf that starts with a hammer and an unbalanced axe. I immediately got a sword from an Orc and I tried to equip it. I noticed it un-equipped my hammer. So I re-equipped my axe and tried to re-equip my hammer, but I cannot. It keeps replacing whatever weapon is there with 'fist.' I can even equip a fist and it replaces my secondary melee weapon with fist.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Could you tell me what versions of BfW and Wesband you're using? I haven't been able to duplicate this with 1.8.5/0.6.0. Also, are you getting any error messages, or is it just silently failing?

Edit - you may be misinterpreting what's happening, what attacks are visible in the unit sidebar when this is happening? In 0.6.0 you adjust weapon slots individually, and are provided with a list of weapons you can swap between; the equipped weapon for that slot moves to the top, and when you're happy with your weapon selection you hit "Accept Equipment" to get back to the list of all equipped items. The non-equipped items in the list will be ordered by when you acquired them, so "fist" will always be the second entry unless it's actually equipped.
MCP

Post by MCP »

This should be the latest version 0.6.0 on wesnoth 1.8.5.

To repeat (I'm an engineer, I wouldn't report bugs lightly):
1. Open up manage inventory -> view equipment.
2. Select the first weapon slot, select a sword or axe.
3. Accept.
4. Go to the second weapon slot, select the hammer or any other weapon except a fist. Seems ok.
5. Accept.
6. Note how the second weapon slot reverts to a fist now and on the character status on the right side display.
Attachments
Wesband_Dungeon-Auto-Save7.gz
(427.29 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Really weird. I get that behavior from your save, but I can't duplicate it when starting from scratch. Is this a save that was started in an earlier version of Wesband?

Edit - figured it out, the weapon switching was a red herring, the problem was with the shield. The code for resetting equipped weapons in the dual/triple wield slots when blocked by an equipped shield has a 1 and 0 transposed. If you want to do a quick fix yourself before I get a bugfix up, switch the 0 and 1 in lines 412 and 417 of events/inventory.cfg
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I found the right click command for getting items to be rather convenient and am disappointed that it was removed. I know that it's more cohesive to have it in the inventory management section but it's still less intuitive for me and removes a bit of sorting through a menu on a task you will be doing over and over again.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Yeah, that's the primary drawback of the new inventory system. On the other hand, that merging of menus allowed me to make it so that you can combine things that would previously have taken multiple actions into a single action (referring to character actions here, not menu actions). That means that it's more practical (for example) to pick up and equip a better weapon in the middle of combat.
Luther

Post by Luther »

@Velensk: Are you using henchmen? Now that we can control henchmen's equipment, I very often have to go straight to "Manage equipment" after picking up items. Doing it the old way would be more difficult for me, as I'd have to do another right-click for inventory every time.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't use henchmen and I pretty much never have to modify my own equipment so either way it isn't anything.

Perhaps, having an command that just skips the menus altogether and picks up everything in the hex would be a nice improvement for when you are not looking for new stuff specifically just acquiring loot.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

I think such a command would be helpful, but even better would be an auto-pickup of loot when moving to a hex with loot. :)

Perhaps it could be toggled on/off, but I when I've played I've never NOT wanted to get loot. :)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

The problem with auto-pickup would be if we wanted to implement some sort of weight/encumbrance system. However, not sure if we want develop current features while keeping in mind features that we're not 100% set on.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

The other problem with auto-pickup of loot is that picking stuff up consumes actions, which you might want to use for other things while in combat (for example, you and your friend are both badly injured, and you're playing a healer; you heal yourself and move next to your friend; whoops, there was a rusty dagger in that hex, so now you can't cast another healing spell since auto-loot picked it up for you).
Exasperation

Re: Wesband 0.6.1, bugfixes

Post by Exasperation »

Just to let everyone know, I have uploaded a bugfix version (0.6.1). It includes fixes for the shield bug mentioned above, an old bug that never got dealt with properly, and a few new ones I discovered myself. Nothing major, and you may still be able to play with saves from 0.6.0 (although old saves may not enjoy all the bugfixes immediately). I also improved weapon generation a bit.