insane campaign replays

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AvovA

insane campaign replays

Post by AvovA »

I keep hearing that somebody beat HTTT on hard using only healers, or doing no recalls, etc, etc. Sure there must be replays somewhere. right? Where can I get them?
HomerJ

Re: insane campaign replays

Post by HomerJ »

AvovA wrote:I keep hearing that somebody beat HTTT on hard using only healers, or doing no recalls, etc, etc. Sure there must be replays somewhere. right? Where can I get them?
Yes, most of this was in the Campaign Challenges Thread. However, most replays are 1.4/1.6.
Especially for HTTT, the challenges are actually easier than you think, try it for yourself. And if you think you mastered everything do NR on Nightmare with only fresh recruits. We talk again next year.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
AvovA

Post by AvovA »

Too bad I cannot see those replays in 1.8.

BTW, how come wesnoth does not support subdirs for replays? Weird.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I sort of have replays of HttT recruiting Elvish Scouts only, which is quite a bit harder than Shamans only (which I did a long time ago). I say "sort of" because I don't have the game configured to save replays, but I have autosaves up until the last turn, which you can watch as replays. However, they are for 1.9 only, and some of them are a little corrupt (they do seem to work OK). I'm not going to upload all two megabytes to the forum, but I can upload a couple of the scenarios if you want.

I also have the autosaves of TRoW recruiting Mages only, which is by far the hardest challenge I've completed.
AvovA wrote:BTW, how come wesnoth does not support subdirs for replays? Weird.
Because none of the volunteer programmers have coded it yet.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I would like to see some of those replays. Maybe just upload a couple of the hardest scenarios.

As for the subdir question, it is because everyone who starts to work on it will (after looking into it) decide that they should first overhaul the GUI system first. Then they inevitably get sidetracked for months and never come back to the original task. Those silly developer people.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
AvovA

Post by AvovA »

To be honest, I searched "replay*" and I could not find any HTTT playable campaign replays. Everything is 1.6 or even older.

Basically it looks like every a couple of years or so all wesnoth replays become obsolete.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

AvovA wrote:To be honest, I searched "replay*" and I could not find any HTTT playable campaign replays. Everything is 1.6 or even older.

Basically it looks like every a couple of years or so all wesnoth replays become obsolete.
Tell us what you want to see the most. Maybe I'll give it a try on 1.8. ^_^

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Sapient wrote:I would like to see some of those replays. Maybe just upload a couple of the hardest scenarios.
More of them are broken than I thought: About half of them crash the game, so these aren't necessarily the hardest ones. The checksum errors you get on these don't seem fatal.

Some notes: "The_Fall" ends two turns early instead of one for some reason. The earliest scenarios of TRoW are the hardest because you have a level-0 hero, and weak, 20-gold cannon fodder. You have to rely heavily on the loyal infantry. "A_Harrowing_Escape" took me half a dozen tries. I had to accept non-zero chances of getting heroes killed occasionally, but Haldric nearly dying in "A_People_in_Decline" was based on a miscalculation. I wouldn't have put him where I did otherwise, so I got lucky there.
AvovA wrote:Basically it looks like every a couple of years or so all wesnoth replays become obsolete.
Assuring backward compatibility is a trap you can get into. The game is better because the developers don't worry about it.
Attachments
SomeReplays.gz.zip
(496.22 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
AvovA

Post by AvovA »

beetlenaut wrote:
AvovA wrote:Basically it looks like every a couple of years or so all wesnoth replays become obsolete.
Assuring backward compatibility is a trap you can get into. The game is better because the developers don't worry about it.
Backward compatibility can be assured by including everything in the replay, not that hard. This is essentially a board game, come on.

Btw, what do developers worry about? I heard from somebody that it is a simple change in the code to remove the fog of war in MP and show results of attacks due to the fact the rng is local.
HomerJ wrote: Tell us what you want to see the most. Maybe I'll give it a try on 1.8. ^_^
Siege of Elensefar on hard using only shamans?
Last edited by Iris on April 24th, 2011, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged two consecutive posts.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Backward compatibility can be assured by including everything in the replay, not that hard. This is essentially a board game, come on.

Btw, what do developers worry about? I heard from somebody that it is a simple change in the code to remove the fog of war in MP and show results of attacks due to the fact the rng is local.
You want us to include entire wesnoth versions in replays?

The base wesnoth engine has changed considerably over time. Short of including some way to recreate the old engines (and all the problems involved with that) there is no real way to create a replay system that can interpret old WML.

Keep in mind, shamans level up into sorceress, you can slow every enemy enemy on the field and then blast them to death with your magic attacks, you'll also have an army that essentially regenerates due to the healing.

Avoid double posting.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

AvovA wrote:Siege of Elensefar on hard using only shamans?
You would have to download 1.9.5, but you can see it here. I played pretty fast, so there are some poor moves, but this shows that it's possible. (I only recruited shamans, but I allowed recalls of loyal units as well.)
Attachments
HttT-The_Siege_of_Elensefar_replay--shamans_only.gz
(43.78 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Just an idea:

It could be nice to make a step-by-step tutorial on wiki about how to record your replay as a movie and upload it to YouTube. This way, everyone could enjoy replays from the old versions withotu having to install anything. ;-)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Viliam wrote:Just an idea:

It could be nice to make a step-by-step tutorial on wiki about how to record your replay as a movie and upload it to YouTube. This way, everyone could enjoy replays from the old versions withotu having to install anything. ;-)
Unfortunately this varies greatly by operating system, computer specs, and budget. It's barely possible on a large portion of machines.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I once produced a 3 minutes long video and it required a few GB of free disk space during production... but I thought it was only because I do not understand it, so maybe I used wrong tools or wrong settings. (I do not remember the tool I used, but it was some free software.) Seems to me that the screen recording software produced a video file which essentially contained a sequence of uncompressed BMP images. Later I was able to reduce it to much smaller file size. I guess an average machine is not capable of compressing like 50 bit bitmaps each second. :-(
AvovA

Post by AvovA »

beetlenaut wrote:You would have to download 1.9.5, but you can see it here. I played pretty fast, so there are some poor moves, but this shows that it's possible. (I only recruited shamans, but I allowed recalls of loyal units as well.)
Well, you did not come even close, imho. You would need a lot of turns to kill all the undead.

Besides, is AI broken in 1.9.5? What was the Orc leader doing all the time? He had 13 villages, he could buy like 2 grunts per turn, and he did nothing.