how to get *really* good at Wesnoth...

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

donkey_noob_trash1

how to get *really* good at Wesnoth...

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

It took me about a year to get what I would consider "good" at Wesnoth, and about 2 years to get what most people would consider to be "very good" at Wesnoth... playing on average 3-4 games a day. I'm almost ashamed to admit that number... :oops:

But let's face it, Wesnoth *is* an awesome game! :D

Anyways, a lot of tactics have been discussed on this forum, by players who are just straight-up AWESOME... and I just thought I'd add a little something of my own to the mix (well, besides my blitzkrieg topic).

The question I want to address in this post is "how do I get really good at Wesnoth (preferably without having to spend gazillions of hours playing)?"

I found that my skill level really started taking off when I started doing these things:

1) Join the Wesnoth ladder server, and download replays of really highly ranked players playing against opponents of varying skill levels. Then, study the replays CLOSELY. Watch them several times, identify key decisions during the game. Note which units that the really good player is recruiting. Notice how he/she is using them. Then, COPY that style of playing, once you think you understand what's going on.

2) Experiment... often! A lot of people, in my opinion, will start to get somewhat good at Wesnoth and then adopt some basic ideas as fundamental "truths," never bothering to check if there are exceptions to certain rules. One of my favorite players to play with and watch is oesis, because he is constantly pushing the envelope of "normalcy" in how he plays. I once saw oesis beat a top-ranked ladder player using Loyalists vs Orcs by just spamming hoardes and hoardes of cavalry. I think the kill ratio was something like 10 to 1 at the end of the match. It was probably the most decisive ladder victory I've ever seen of two "master" level players. If you come up with a new idea, and a theory of why it might work, TRY IT OUT! It's a LOT of fun, and will make you a better player!

3) Get on the forums every once in a while and read what other people are saying (the good players, especially). Don't be afraid to ask for advice about sticking points in your game, but be careful that you word your questions in such a way that you're actually going to get the kind of answer that will be helpful. Maybe attach a replay as well, so people can see what happened.

4) Don't pidgeon-hole yourself into one style of playing. I did this back when I was discovering and developing the "blitzkrieg" style of play. If you play often enough, people will be able to guess your game plan exactly. This creates problems. My solution to that has been to develop 3 basic ways of playing: speed/ maneuver focus (buy lots of fast units and leverage the benefits of speed), manpower focus (buy lots of cheap units and leverage the benefits of manpower), and support focus (buy a wide variety of troops types, utilizing the respective strengths of each unit). Interestingly, I have to say that support focus (the way most people play) is not only the hardest to master, but probably the least effective overall way of playing, for the simple reason of logistics.

So that's about it. If anyone else wants to add to this, feel free! :eng:

Peace out,

~donkey
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
monochromatic

Re: how to get *really* good at Wesnoth...

Post by monochromatic »

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:3) Get on the forums every once in a while and read what other people are saying (the good players, especially).
I'm doing this right now :D
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I saw this thread, saw who posted it, and knew it was going to be something good.

I'd add an addendum to number one. Prefer watching games live to watching replays. Discuss them with the other observers. Ask questions if you don't understand why a player made or didn't make a move. The answers may not be right, but they'll give you new perspectives. And don't limit yourself to ladder games. The ladder is a good way to easily find players who are pretty good, but many of them are niche players who only play one map or one faction, and many good players don't play ladder at all.
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

A big big problem I had, which you previously stated, was becoming too set in playing methods. You've got to vary.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Actually nowadays ladder is much less just playing one map. It seems that atleast 2/3 ladder games created are Grrrs random map.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Caphriel wrote:I saw this thread, saw who posted it, and knew it was going to be something good.

I'd add an addendum to number one. Prefer watching games live to watching replays. Discuss them with the other observers. Ask questions if you don't understand why a player made or didn't make a move. The answers may not be right, but they'll give you new perspectives. And don't limit yourself to ladder games. The ladder is a good way to easily find players who are pretty good, but many of them are niche players who only play one map or one faction, and many good players don't play ladder at all.
Glad you added that little side note, Caph. Another thing that's nice about observing games is you can make good friends whom you may later end up playing many, many games with... a definite side benefit of joining such discussions.
Christheturtle wrote:A big big problem I had, which you previously stated, was becoming too set in playing methods. You've got to vary.
Yah, one thing I really had to learn that helped my game tremendously was learning when to cut my losses, retreat, and play defense. This involved thinking outside the offensive box that I had learned to think in for such a long time.

One last thing I would suggest- if anyone criticizes your playing style, don't get super defensive and accuse them of taking the game too seriously, etc. Just listen and have a good attitude about it.

Alright, peace out y'all

~donkey
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
andyrewwer

Post by andyrewwer »

How do you watch a replay? I have downloaded quite a few and am stuck on how to open them.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

andyrewwer wrote:How do you watch a replay? I have downloaded quite a few and am stuck on how to open them.
The replay file needs to be placed in the saves folder. It can then be opened just like every other savegame. The location of the saves folder varies. State your OS for further details.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
jearrr

Post by jearrr »

HomerJ wrote:...HomerJ
Interesting. I saw You casting a Starcraft II replay on Youtube. So You are the replay man?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

jearrr wrote:
HomerJ wrote:...HomerJ
Interesting. I saw You casting a Starcraft II replay on Youtube. So You are the replay man?
Yeah, that wasn't me... This nick seems to be quite popular.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
cookie

Post by cookie »

Maybe its because your the first name of a cartoon?
HomerJSimpson? from Simpsons? :L
Bye says the cookie.