Unknown Horizons

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Unknown Horizons

Post by Gambit »

I recently found a really neat OSS RTS. It's still a work in progress. I don't play a lot of RTS's because I find them hard to keep up with, but this one reminds me a lot of Pharaoh. It takes place back in the time period when Europeans were rapidly settling the new world.

You start with a ship with limited supplies on it somewhere in the middle of an archipelago (or if the random-map-generator smiles on you: one large island). You have to land and build outward from the beach. Then your settlers advance more and more through different layers of technology. What really impressed me with this game so far is how central economic management is. You can easily see what you're making in taxes and trade revenues versus what you're spending on upkeep for different buildings. Turns out it is pretty hard to balance taxes and spending. :lol2:

Check it out at http://www.unknown-horizons.org/

And because a picture is worth 1000 words:

monochromatic

Re: Unknown Horizons

Post by monochromatic »

Looks interesting. I'll have a look..
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

It is inspired by the famous German RTS contruction & management game ANNO 1602 and its successors. Too bad they didn't change it to turn based. Real time leads to me playing in permanent slow motion. Make AIs intelligent, not super-fast-and-lotsa-multi-tasking-capable.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I found the game very nice :) The only things that got on my nerves were that some of the interfaces (taxes, for one) were rather hard to find, and there are only a few maps and there is no campaign. Hopefully this will be solved soon, as the game is in constant development.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

just downloaded it. read the description on their website and it actually sounds like Stronghold in a lot of ways. Also noticed 2 spelling errors while reading it :roll:
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

^ Yeah, that got on my nerves too :lol2:
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

This is an extremely awesome game! :D
Take a look at this, guys! 8)
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

There aren't many maps right now because they don't have a working editor. They're stuck creating them by hand entering SQL queries.
There is a random map feature in the bleeding-edge versions, and the upcoming 2011.01 release will have that.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Gambit wrote:There aren't many maps right now because they don't have a working editor. They're stuck creating them by hand entering SQL queries.
:shock: good heavens.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

this is probably going to sound really stupid, but I can't seem to actually build anything anywhere.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Did you try the tutorial? You have to move your ship close to an island and build a branch office on it.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I think I have to practice much. I'm not able to organize my economy properly - I don't get enough money in :?
Any tips? :P

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Crendgrim wrote:I think I have to practice much. I'm not able to organize my economy properly - I don't get enough money in :?

Crend
(All of the tips are based on the Anno series but I guess they apply here too I guess.)
Build only a single one of each of the "settlement-centric" buildings, such as marketplace, church etc. Build all of them together in the centre of the settlement. Arrange houses around them so that the covered area is filled up in such a way that every house can at least ascend a single time. Don't build any of the farms, factories etc in that area. Build farms at the coast of the isle instead. Built factories who need the goods produced by them next to them so that the farms are covered by that factory's reach. Set factories and farms which are currently not needed "to sleep". Set the tax rate (this exists only in some versions of the anno series...) so that, unless your people shall ascend, are *almost* unhappy (so that they almost descend).
Guess that's most of the important stuff about income in the anno series.

They are looking for developers btw afaik. The whole things is written in python. So if someone wants to contribute to some OSS game and finds wesnoth too hard it's an alternative.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Open thread => download game => get addicted
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Crendgrim wrote:I think I have to practice much. I'm not able to organize my economy properly - I don't get enough money in :?

Crend
Tips
  • Build houses first, then build food producer buildings, that'll help you to control the money flow.
  • Do everything to advance to second increment, everything's easier if you have an access to farm.
  • Trick your workers and farmers by removing roads, so they won't store on random storage. This will boost your production.
  • Reduce taxes to the lowest to boost settler numbers, it will raise your income
Example savegame file if you're using the current bleeding edge version : http://db.tt/n69S4Mz
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums