[Complete] TOURNAMENT: King of the Frontier!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

[Complete] TOURNAMENT: King of the Frontier!

Post by Doc Paterson »

I'm guessing that many of you have already heard about this, but here's the deal:

I've organized a tournament that will focus exclusively on four of our in-development 1v1 maps, the idea being that this will provide us with lots of top-tier replays, which will in turn greatly assist the balancing process. (All of these maps are pretty well balanced already in my opinion, or we wouldn't be having this tournament at all, but these matches will surely help the fine-tuning process). In addition to serving that practical purpose, I think that the tournament will also be a lot of fun for the players, and entertaining for the community as a whole, and will hopefully help to introduce these maps to the wider public. :)

If this works well, I'll host similar tournaments in the future, and will allow for a more open registration. However, this time around, and for simplicity's sake, we decided to have this tournament be an invitational, which allowed us to hand-pick the 1v1 players who we felt were the absolute best. If you see this list and think "why didn't they invite so-and-so," we probably did, and they probably weren't available. That said, I do think we managed to get just about all of the best 1v1 players who are currently active. I wanted to keep it small, so I capped it at 10 players. They'll be divided into two (randomly determined) leagues, and within each league, they'll do round-robin play (everyone plays everyone, within their league).

The leagues are:

The Ape League

The Black Sword
Dauntless
Neki
Kolbur
Rigor

and

The Owl League

Huumy
Demogorgon
Oook
Cremember
Horus2

After round robin play, the top two players in each league will advance to the semifinals. (Any ties will be resolved by a single match, played on one of the four maps. If the tie-breaking players cannot agree on a map, one of the four will be randomly chosen for them.)

The top player in the Owl League will face the number 2 player from the Ape League, and the top player in the Ape League will face the number 2 player from the Owl League, in a best-of-3 series. The winners advance to the finals, which will be a best of 5 series.

Here are the maps:

Round Robin Play (round 1)

Match 1: Aethermaw
Match 2: Thousand Stings Garrison
Match 3: (a tiebreaker, only if necessary) Walls of Pyrennis OR Arcanclave Citadel OR (if they're crazy), the new Hornshark. Players agree on one, but if they can't agree, I'll choose randomly between Walls of Pyrennis and Arcanclave, with a coin toss. I don't expect anyone to choose a wild-card like the new Hornshark this early in its development, but I wanted the option to be there. ;) A future tournament will focus on that map, and perhaps other new ones.

Semifinals

Same map sequence as round 1.

Finals

Match 1: Aethermaw
Match 2: Thousand Stings Garrison
Match 3: Players can agree on any of the 4 maps. If they can't decide, it will be Arcanclave.
Match 4: (if necessary) Walls of Pyrennis, unless Walls was chosen for the previous match. If so, Thousand Stings Garrison.
Match 5: Aethermaw

Will there be a time limit? Yes, though I'll allow players the option of not using one for any given match, if they both agree. The time limit for any match on Arcanclave will be higher. I haven't yet decided exactly what the time limits will be, but will take suggestions. :)

As for prizes, I'll offer the top 3 graduated honors of some sort, by naming characters or places (perhaps even future maps? :)) after them, and/or allow them the option of naming (within reason) some of the starting units on the new Hornshark. The prize aspect isn't solidified in my mind yet, but I promise that the winners will be honored in some noticeable way, within the bounds of the newer 1v1 maps. :D

So, that's the gist of it. Most of the players on the list are pretty active, so I don't think I'll have to set a fixed date for finishing the round robin play. If it does drag on for some reason though, I will do so. 8)

If any of the players want to report their matches to the ladder, they should, though that's certainly not required.

The matches themselves can begin whenever the players feel like it. My only request is that they use the heading "King of the Frontier Tournament" (or something to that effect) as the match name, so that observers know what's going on. Posting the matches here would also be most excellent. :)

I'll field any questions in this thread.

Enjoy!

Note: These are not really "standings," just a listing of wins and losses. Too much hassle to be cutting and pasting lines, all the while hoping I don't mess up the delicate formatting. :) I think it should be easy enough to interpret who is "in the lead."

Code: Select all

Ape group:
╔═════════════════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╗
║ ........Fighter.........│ ..Played..  │.Total Wins. │.Total Losses│BRUTAL (2-0)s│BRUTAL (0-2)s║
╟─────────────────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────╢
║1. neki..................│......4......│......2......│......2......│......2......│......2......║
║2. Dauntless.............│......4......│......3......│......1......│......2......│......0......║
║3. The Black Sword.......│......4......│......2......│......2......│......1......│......2......║
║4. Kolbur................│......4......│......2......│......2......│......1......│......0......║
║5. Rigor.................│......4......│......1......│......3......│......0......│......2......║
╚═════════════════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╝

Owl group:
╔═════════════════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╗
║ ........Fighter.........│ ..Played..  │.Total Wins. │.Total Losses│BRUTAL (2-0)s│BRUTAL (0-2)s║
╟─────────────────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────┼─────────────╢
║1. Demogorgon............│......4......│......4......│......0......│......4......│......0......║
║2. Horus2................│......4......│......2......│......2......│......0......│......1......║
║3. Crem/soul_steven......│......3......│......0......│......3......│......0......│......1......║
║4. Oook..................│......4......│......1......│......3......│......0......│......2......║
║5. Huumy.................│......3......│......2......│......1......│......1......│......1......║
╚═════════════════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╝
[/size]
Attachments
poster1.jpg
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
neki

Re: TOURNAMENT: Lord of the Frontier!

Post by neki »

Read everything you said, Doc and I truly appreciate your effort. However, let's give this a more professional look:

1) kof.wesnoth.org should point to this forum thread (King of Frontier), Rigor can post a message with this link on the ladder website and I can advertise it on my channel => advertising more easier! plus, KOF should be in the title of the game ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, so the event has visibility. We get a name, something that people can see, if we decide for KOF as the acronym of our tournament. if u still don't get me, have a look here: tgt.wesnoth.org

2) NO replay, NO score! each victory should be announced in this forum thread by the winner or loser (in case we have masochists among us) together with the replay. Once you see the announcement together with the replay you update the first thread with the available results until now. if you still don't get me, have a look here: tgt.wesnoth.org In this way the crowd will actually be able to follow the tournament

3) Match dates should be announced on this forum thread 24 hours before they are played, if possible. If I go online and find Oook and decide to play a tournament game spontaneously it's ok but if we settled a game beforehand, it's nice to announce it here 24 hours before at least so the crowd knows. At least that's how I am going to do with my matches. if you still don't get me, have a look here: tgt.wesnoth.org

That's all for, for now :)

P.S:if you still don't get me, have a look here: tgt.wesnoth.org :p
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

neki wrote: 1) kof.wesnoth.org should point to this forum thread (King of Frontier), Rigor can post a message with this link on the ladder website and I can advertise it on my channel => advertising more easier!
Sounds great. Not sure how to do the first though.

neki wrote: plus, KOF should be in the title of the game ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, so the event has visibility. We get a name, something that people can see, if we decide for KOF as the acronym of our tournament.
I'd prefer the proper English of KOTF. :eng: :wink:
neki wrote: 2) NO replay, NO score! each victory should be announced in this forum thread by the winner or loser (in case we have masochists among us) together with the replay. Once you see the announcement together with the replay you update the first thread with the available results until now.
Ha, maybe I should have just made you the TASKMASTER from the start. ;) My thinking is that we don't need to be too strict about this, seeing as we all know one another, and see each other on the server all the time. I was envisioning something like, "Hey, we should do our match now..." If people want to do strict scheduling, and post the times here, that would be cool as well.

Good point about making it easier for the audience to follow though. I suppose it is a good idea to make replay-posting mandatory.
neki wrote:if you still don't get me, have a look here: tgt.wesnoth.org
I get you. ;)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
neki

Post by neki »

KOTF is just... lame! I can definitely speak and understand proper english but KOTF is just too long. KOF is catchy and easy to pronounce KOF = King Of the Frontier, anyways, KOTF or KOF it doesn't matter, just talk to grywacz, deekay or Faello please. They know how to do this, since they've made tgt.wesnoth.org. Probably one of the devs, grywacz will be kind enough to setup this link for us. It only takes one minute, you just need to ask him (as a tournament organizer).

I say we don't organize this "tournament" as a family friendly battle, because nobody "outside the family" will be interested in watching it. Have some respect and give some thrill to the crowds. Therefore the acronym, easy to remember link to this forum thread and post-battle replay posting should be mandatory and represent the first steps/rules in organizing the tournament.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

kof, kotf i couldnt care less. just dont call it kot!(if u dont know what THAT means, try a german dictionary!).

i dont want another one of those games where u have to schedule everything 3 days in advance and X has no time and then Y has no time when X is free...gngngngn. we play a lot of games here, and i would like to finish it rather sooner than later, thx for understanding. to meet in the lobby and play sounds nice for me. 24h in advance if possible, ok, if not: availability of player > everybody can prepare to see the match live.
neki

Post by neki »

Rigor as usual, u reply without even reading or understanding what I wrote. I SAID: post-battle replay ===== after the battle it is mandatory to post the replay. Post comes from latin and before the germanic tribes invaded, the territory of today's Germany and Austria had been already colonized by the Romans, so you should be very familiar with the meaning of post and u don't need any german dictionary for that :)

As far as pre-announcing the game I said it would be nice, but of course everybody will understand spontaneous matches. Don't make me talk about the etymology of "pre", you noob :)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

my latin > your latin

but family friendly or not, how dare u write a crappy reply to me while ur playing ur first game against me at the sme time! focus on ur allmight yopponent now, or ill laugh at u when ur leader lies in the dust!
neki

Post by neki »

Yeah, folks, Game 01 between neki and Rigor has started at 20.00 GMT Sunday 20th of March. And it will end as soon as Rigor will say gg. :) For those of you already observing, enjoy!
neki

Post by neki »

Game 01 between neki and Rigor, members of the Ape Group finished with neki's brutal win. Aethermaw - Undead vs. Dwarf (me). Enjoy!
Attachments
KOTF_RIGOR_G1_2p_-_Aethermaw_replay.gz
(26.34 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
neki

Post by neki »

Game 02 between neki and Rigor, members of the Ape Group finished with neki's brutal win. Thousand Stings - Orcs(me) vs. Drakes. Enjoy!
Attachments
LOTF_Rigor_Game02_2p_-_Thousand_Stings_Garri..._replay.gz
(17.78 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
neki

Post by neki »

Hey guys, Noy4 banned me from Wesnoth for 3 weeks he says for brutally serving him a 2vs2 a challenge and calling him arrogant in a WHISPERED PRIVATE CONVERSATION. His reaction only proves my point!

If a developer has the power to dictate bans left and right based on his personal private matters and feelings, it means Wesnoth is not the game for me. This is neki's last message, I will not come back to Wesnoth unless Noy4 unbans me AND publicly apologizes on the official Wesnoth forum.

That would probably not happen so dear community, fellow Wesnothiers, enjoy Noy4, all hail his dictatorial powers and say goodbye to the annoying neki! Can we have a cheer for losing neki forever ? Yay for Noy4!!!!

Signing out, forever!
Demogorgon

Post by Demogorgon »

I hereby post my games against Huumy.
Game 1: Drakes vs Undead on Aethermaw.
Game 2: Northerners vs Loyalists on TSG.

Thanks Huumy!
Attachments
2p_-_Thousand_Stings_Garrison_replay_KOTF_Huumy_Game_2.gz
(18.81 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
2p_-_Aethermaw_replay_KOTF_Huumy_Game_1.gz
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Seems this time i'm out from the fun (unless neki takes this ban-issue really hard and wanders to a distant country where's no internet connection available)... just wanted to wish thrilling upcoming matches for you guys! ^_^
The future development of these maps depends on you, don't forget that even for a moment! :D

:idea: An idea on sidenote: maybe one of the champions should get an opportunity to rename the new Hornshark Island. After all, it resemble the previous version in nothing, and the presence of two maps with same name is already confusing, so why not a new name? :) I'm pretty sure there's more than one island on the Multiplayer Sea. :D
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Horus2 wrote:Seems this time i'm out from the fun (unless neki takes this ban-issue really hard and wanders to a distant country where's no internet connection available)... just wanted to wish thrilling upcoming matches for you guys! ^_^
The future development of these maps depends on you, don't forget that even for a moment! :D
Well, Cackfiend is still somewhat of a question mark, although I believe he will have some limited availability this week. It would be cool to extend it to 12 people and add you and Nelson (who I think would be particularly good, because he seems to play these maps a lot), but- I'm not sure how the others would feel about extending the time it would take to finish this. So, let's wait and see about Cackfiend, but if you don't get to play this time around, I will promise not to forget you for the next one. :)

About Hornshark and the possibility of a rename, I don't know, I'll think about it. ;)
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Woah, those Demogorgon/Huumy matches were AWESOME.

So much carnage. :D
without your noses.