unit^gold

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

unit^gold

Post by Mountain_King »

What is the right way to translate this? I have the string "unit^gold" under translation here, and it gives me three different tabs under which to translate it. Why is this? What does it mean? This is not the only string like this. How should it be translated?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: unit^gold

Post by Espreon »

In the case of "unit^Gold", those tabs are for different number forms (for example, "one apple" vs "two apples") for whatever the Irish word for gold is. I don't know much about Irish grammar, and I can't find anything about grammatical number in Irish, so yeah...
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Mountain_King wrote:What is the right way to translate this? I have the string "unit^gold" under translation here, and it gives me three different tabs under which to translate it. Why is this? What does it mean? This is not the only string like this. How should it be translated?
How this is to be handled is mentioned in the translations FAQ: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/GettextForTranslators#FAQ
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

In Irish the form changes based on the number differently than in most languages. A word like "Pieces" (as in pieces of gold) will start out as píosa. From 1-6 it becomes phíosa. From 7-10 it will be bpíosa. It gets a little bit more complex beyond that, but that's the gist of it. The forms given have choices for "one thing," "two things," and "three things," all of which would be the same in Irish, as the other forms don't appear until it's more than six. :hmm: I'm pretty sure the string in question is the string for unit costs, am I right on that point?
The word for gold (plural) is óir, but again there are differences based on the number. In some cases it might mutate to t-óir or n-óir. Maybe a better way to frame the initial question would be, "there are three tabs here for "unit^gold." How exactly does it work so I can translate all three correctly?"

Short Version:
Irish doesn't change based on one, two, and three items, it changes on one, seven, and 11 (or twenty, depending on who you ask) items. How can I make this work best?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

It is indeed for the unit cost.

Gold you can translate as being used as a "currency", so maybe there would be a way of avoiding the problem by treating it like one with a mass noun or something. Mr. Wikipedia tells me that when the euro was adapted for Irish it was made to ignore the normal rules for mutations, so maybe you could use that as an excuse.

If that doesn't help, for this string the first option for the singular for gold strictly means 1 and only 1 unit of gold. for the other option you'll have to compromise somehow.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Argh, I hate compromise. Ah well, if it can't be avoided I can roll with it. :| Maybe I could take a hint from the French translation and do it as "pieces of gold." While there are some mutations involved, it looks better and runs a bit clearer IMO to do something like "p. óir" :hmm: If that works I think my problem is solved.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You don't need to compromise. See the link Ivanovic posted.

More specifically: http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/l ... ralforms#g
If the language code is 'ga', then according to that site, there should be 5 plural forms: 1, 2, 3-6, 7-10 and 11+. This is what the tabs represent.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

This is strange indeed. The .po files I have say that plural forms for Irish are: nplurals=3; plural=n==1 ? 0 : n==2 ? 1 : 2;\
EXTERMINATE!!!!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Well, you can manually correct that: open up the PO file and change the Plural-Forms line to

Code: Select all

nplurals=5; plural=n==1 ? 0 : n==2 ? 1 : n<7 ? 2 : n<11 ? 3 : 4 
or, if you want 1-6, 7-10, 11+:

Code: Select all

nplurals=3; plural=(n>0 && n < 7) ? 0 : n < 11 ? 1 : 2
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Mountain_King wrote:This is strange indeed. The .po files I have say that plural forms for Irish are: nplurals=3; plural=n==1 ? 0 : n==2 ? 1 : 2;\
This is no surprise at all, since the forms are *not* automatically set correctly. You will have to do so manually using a (utf8 capable) texteditor or the respective option in your tool.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

oh. Now I'm feeling kind of dumb... :doh: Well, I guess I'll get on that right away. That solves my initial problem and tells me how to translate "unit^gold" correctly. ivanovic, I might be sending you an update earlier than I had planned on. Oh well. This translating stuff is strangely addicting once you figure it out. :D

Thank you and best regards,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!