Wesnoth.exe broken?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Phyreprooph

Wesnoth.exe broken?

Post by Phyreprooph »

I just downloaded battle for wesnoth version 1.8.5 the other day for windows 7 but for some reason my wesnoth.exe won't actually load the game. :? I was playing it yesterday evening and then this afternoon i loaded it up and it was working fine, but my saves weren't there so i exited the game to check if my saves were still there. Went into userdata and what not and what do you know...they're still there and working fine. When i went to load the game back up...it wouldn't load. I tired a few times and then opened the task manager to see what was going on and i had like 7 instances of "wesnoth.exe" apparently active at once. I stopped the processes and tried again...still nothing. Reset my computer and tried again....still nothing. :( I don't know what to do and i want to play wesnoth. :( PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Everything is edible, some things just aren't good for you.

Current Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
StDrake

Re: Wesnoth.exe broken?

Post by StDrake »

I see a possible corrupted installation and/or download, or something (hyperactive protections software perhaps?) is blocking it.
If it's the first then redownloading/reinstalling should help. I've got Win7 as well and Wesnoth is running fine in both 1.8.5 and 1.9.4
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Will i lose my saves?

StDrake

Post by StDrake »

not if you don't choose to, but you can copy them to a safe place if you're paranoid (I usually am)
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Well i tried re-installing but it didn't work. I even copied over the old version from my other computer onto this one but that still doesn't work. :? Could it be possible that the .exe isn't compatible with my computer for some reason? I dunno just a thought. :?

StDrake

Post by StDrake »

in that case it's something in the system or a damaged disc (pray no)
check your antivirus/firewall if it's not blocking it(but that would be weird symptoms indeed), also try copying the old version from your other computer into a different directory and see how it behaves

btw 32 or 64 bit windows? though that should not matter..should not
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Well the weird thing is that it's technically noticing the .exe and loading it cause it appears under the processes in the task manager. But it's not actually loading it...if that make sense. It's there but it's not doing anything.

Max

Post by Max »

can you post the log? see here:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23894

another thing to try:
make a copy of your wesnoth folder (in my games) and delete it. make sure that no instance of wesnoth is running at this time. try to restart wesnoth afterwards.

it might be that the cache got corrupt (or your preferences file). if it works close wesnoth again and replace the saves folder so you get your old save files back.
AdamtheNerd

Post by AdamtheNerd »

Phyreprooph wrote:Well the weird thing is that it's technically noticing the .exe and loading it cause it appears under the processes in the task manager. But it's not actually loading it...if that make sense. It's there but it's not doing anything.
I have the same problem. I installed it on my flash drive, and sometimes it just doesn't run. I can't really pinpoint why it does that. When I plug my flash drive into the computer it was originally installed on though, it's fine.

I'd recommend uninstalling it, running CCleaner's Registry Cleaner and then installing it again. Try a newer version this time, such as 1.9.4, as your saves will be backwards compatible (I'm guessing).
AdamtheNerd

Post by AdamtheNerd »

Just an update on what Max said here (so that you don't have to delete the preferences files and lose your preferences every time this happens).

I was playing Wesnoth on my monitor which has a resolution of 1920x1080. Later, I unplugged my laptop and noticed a very very very brief flash. Maybe it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. But it gave me an idea.

I went into my userdata folder (in My Documents or the Install location depending on what you chose).
In it is a preferences file. Open up Notepad. Drag it in. Press CRTL+F and search for xresolution.

Change all the resolution and window size values to something ridiculously small like 640x480.
Save and close the preferences file.

Run the game. It should work now, because before, the game may have been defaulting to a resolution that - for some unknown reason - prevented it from launching.

Anyway, I hope this helps.