IPS's Art Gallery (working in a new stuff)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Reepurr

Re: IPS's Art Gallery

Post by Reepurr »

SFault wrote:Every mounted unit look quite uncomfortable. Their toes are sticking to the side, when they should point forward.
IPS said somewhere, I'm sure of it, that "pointing forwards looks like you're hurting the horse" even though technically, it would be seriously hard to control a horse using stirrups when your feet are pointing that way.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
IPS

Post by IPS »

SFault wrote:Every mounted unit look quite uncomfortable. Their toes are sticking to the side, when they should point forward. Also some of them are sitting on the neck area of the horse, not on the back. Finally, they have weapons in both hands. That would make it hard to control the mount.
Understood. I will try to make the mounted unit's sprite with only a armed hand. I told every mounted unit costs me to made a lot :)
Fog wrote: sprites as JPEG! This distorts the colors, and it doesn't support transparency. All of your TC will not work.
I know, I make the sprites with PNG and the family trees are made by JPEG because it's a better format for bigger images. That remmind me I need to fix the older sprites with xcf format :roll:

Comenting other things: the half of the work of the Empire's familly tree is almost done. unfortunately I will use the sprite of the horseman and his high levels (exept the paladin) for a jousting horseman and his upgarades (yay, it works as a horseman, but weaker and cheaper).

Note: Every sprite with red colour letters in my gallery are from the Empire faction, gold for the Botherhood of the magic and brown for the Revolution of east faction. It's a very simple form to the people recognizes a unit of each faction and it works easier for me too.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

IPS wrote:the family trees are made by JPEG because it's a better format for bigger images.
JPEG are better for photos (and photo-like images), but not necesseraly for bigger images. A 2000x2000 pure white image is lighter when you record it with the PNG format than the JPEG (with a 75 % compression rate).
For a family tree, you should check the size between JPEG and PNG if JPEG weight less than PNG (and if yes in which proportion).
IPS

Re: IPS's Art Gallery (needs help with mounted units!)

Post by IPS »

Feufochmar I use PNG or JPEG to share the images ;)

Ehhmmm.... after thinking this a bit, I need help with ALL the mounted units. Them becomes harder to make because I don't know how to manege them, so I must be happy if you help me in what to do or if you share me an example to I try to do other mounted unit by myself.

I think only the scout mounted unit were fine from me =/
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
IPS

Post by IPS »

I tried to make a new sprite for the Explorer (lv2 scout). I know it's not very good, but it's a lot better than the older Exlporer (check Revolution family tree in the page 1)

Can you say me how it's? :)
Last edited by IPS on November 29th, 2010, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Might be worth moving the head say 3px left? His head's falling off.

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
IPS

Post by IPS »

How it does look now? I Changed the head's position.

Edit: why I have this stump in this page when in my file it's normal? o.o"

I have made too a new sprite for the Mounted Champion, It may it's to raw.

FerrusManus

Re: IPS's Art Gallery (needs feedback with mounted units!)

Post by FerrusManus »

The angle of the lance seems awkward. Sword looks rather unnatural too, maybe angle it slightly forwards?
IPS

Post by IPS »

I will check this, I will study all the mounted units like the dragoon, the calvary and every mounted unit.

The calvaries work is for me a lot harder than the infantry units.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

FerrusManus wrote:Sword looks rather unnatural too, maybe angle it slightly forwards?
No mainline loyalists (AFAIK), including the cavalry, hold their swords much differently to what IPS is doing.

IPS

Post by IPS »

Sorry for the delay for posting, I have continued the sprite making of the era. About the mounted units ... I better do them later.

I made a familly tree for a dummy unit, I used the Path of Summoners era as influence, please comment of it.

About that magic wireless, its totally intentional to the lv1 exept the dammed Dummy has no magic wireless (removed intentionally because it erases the arcane weakness for the mainline of the unit, because its a more solid animation)
SFault

Post by SFault »

Those strings look bit like stinky lines from cartoons. Perhaps adding the control thingy on the top or at least make the head string straight. I suppose it is currently holding the puppet up in posture, so it should have tension.

Perhaps the control thingy could be in a form of a small cloud :hmm:
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
IPS

Re: IPS's Art Gallery (working in a new stuff)

Post by IPS »

About the puppet, the lv0 unit is indeed the original puppet from path of summomer era. Also that strings it had a smaller animation, so it likes more a nagic wireless than a string.

I see you are criticing only the "strings", so I think the other is fine then. If in my era I would like to the lv0 dummy and the lv1 dammed dummy has some arcane weakness. then, what I can put to remplace those strings? to keep some arcane weakness in those dummies and not in the othres.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

at best some kind of glow, maybe the strings ending in a sparkle instead of looking cut off
and surely an idle animation showing those strings flailing around visibly unattached to anything real :)
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Tet

Post by Tet »

I like the sprites.

Do you have values or unit-cfgs?

About the bomb thrower: LVL2 and LVL3 are to similar for me. I can see the belt, but not enough for me.
Maybe a hat? Or different items in the hands? Or just changing bomb and flare from left to right?
Just suggestions in case you still like to go back to them.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895