My Terrain (Mine!)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Tet

Re: Terrain

Post by Tet »

Thanks a lot. The key is to make it really out of crude stones. That should give some stonehenge impression. Otherwise it would give the future impression.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is a screen-shot of your files. I can't really see this being a stonehenge or being related to anything I was doing here. I'm not saying there's nothing to it, but I think any further discussion should not go in this thread. Thanks.
Attachments
what.png
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, i think the animated water looks good, but i dont like "big" interactions with shore, as with the "water---sand" interaction.

looks in combination with other shore elements not optimal.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I didn't have anything to do with the animated water, I think you meant to post that somewhere else.

If you do have a criticism, it would be better to post a screen-shot. I doubt Eleazar can do much with what you wrote.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

doofus-01 wrote: If you do have a criticism, it would be better to post a screen-shot. I doubt Eleazar can do much with what you wrote.
the water-sand transitions dont look always good.
(i can imagine that they might look good on a shoreline consisting of sand only)

it is the animation which makes it look "weird" in combination with other transitions, since these are not animated. (therefore a non animated screenshot wouldnt describe the "problem" very well)

if this isnt clear then you should probably take a look for yourself on for example conquest crusades map and watch the shores

if this isnt the right place then a mod can move it to the right place
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
em3

Post by em3 »

Doofus: for future you might consider renaming the thread to "doofus-01 terrain" or something like this. The current name does imply it's a generic terrain thread. :wink:
ride on shooting star
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is the transitions for the wooden floor. I didn't realize how compressed the JPEG was at the time I saved it, but it still gives an idea.

EDIT:Changed thread title.
Attachments
wood-shot1.jpg
wood-regular.tgz
(62.55 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by Sangel »

The square edges are great. I assume you're already looking into some of the glitches with snow+floor+other terrain combinations?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Looks good! I like how the edges are hard on the long borders with grass, but with a little grass leaking over at the corners--kinda like a board lying on the ground with weeds starting to climb up over it in places.
The cobbles leaking up over it……don't make quite so much sense to me. I guess it works if you think of it as the board rotting away in places, but it still looks weird, IMO. Same goes for the mountains, though I really have no idea how you'd get a convincing transition with the scale of the two tiles so completely different, and I imagine it would look more natural if the board were completely surrounded with mountain tiles, or whatever.
On the flip side, the board having a hard edge along the snow looks off to me, as well. I'd think the snow would blow up onto the wood a little?
And, as Sangel said, I'm sure you're well aware of the little weird thingy going on with the snow where some of it is up on the board but the rest isn't.
To help illustrate the above points: http://gyazo.com/79b0b5f8ada0429616019bd18c918e46.png

Anyway, great work, as always. Keep it up!

On a completely unrelated note, I've been reading Mabuse's name for years, and I only realized where it came from just now. I still need to watch the second half of that movie……
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Most of the transition glitches, such as the snow, should be fixable with terrain-graphics WML, but it would take someone with a more "big picture" view of where it all fits (and better understanding of the code). I could simply raise the layers until is stops happening, but that's not a real fix. Eventually, we will hit layer zero.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Thanks Doofus,

Committed the wood floor transitions. There are still some glitches, but not so bad as in the screenshot.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've started a wooden ... fort, I guess. Maybe it can be an outlaw castle.

It's lacking transitions, because I'm still working the base out. If anyone has opinions on the general idea, now's the time to say something. :)
Attachments
camp1.png
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

doofus-01 wrote:If anyone has opinions on the general idea, now's the time to say something.
It's nice and all, but I just don't see it fitting into the general Wesnoth artchitecture...

EDIT: Unintentional pun there (art -chitecture) :roll:
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That one highlights the distortions in Wesnoth scale to the point where I would practically never want to use it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

This could make sense as an alternate encampment keep, i.e. the basic idea of a taller roofed wooden fort.

But the color and more importantly the scale of the wooden planks contrasts very badly with the walls. I think you need to make a new surface from scratch. It is also a bit awkward that the sides of the planks don't align with any of the walls
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity