Scenario Review: SotBE 1 - End of Peace

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 1 - End of Peace

Post by Content Feedback »

This is a review of "End of Peace" - the starting scenario of the Son of the Black Eye campaign. Feel free to answer the questions below; reviews of other scenarios are also available on the forum.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 1 - End of Peace

Post by Turuk »

...? I guess no one plays this anymore.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

4. While the Loyalist troops can be pesky, grunts are more than up to the task of chopping them down. Especially if you are smart enough to get the western villages with a wolf rider (1 grunt or orcish archer per turn).

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good actually, a higher standard than the other mainline campaigns.

None.

7. Always nice to play as the Northerners, and the little keep mid-map is a nice touch.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None, enjoyed it as is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looked good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging".

2. It's easy to get more villages than the enemy. If you move your leader onto the Castle in the middle of the map and recruit/lead from that area, it's a meatgrinder. Great terrain for you.

Great

Solid starting campaign

None

7. It's a very good starting map and I wouldn't do anything to change it.

See 6

No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Challenging (the easiest one), 1.7.1

4, good warming up.

No problem. Kill the leader.

As usual, the very beginning of the campains is a bit verbose, with a lot of information at once.

Be careful about not losing units, since it is clear that one should level up from scenario 1.

5, "normal" : not extremely exciting, but not boring neither. The small castle in the middle is cool.

No idea.

Actually, the first time I was too confident and stored my leader in a village close to the ennemy's castle. The lieutenant leader dared to rush and was lucky enough to kill Kapoue. I had to restart :-/

--
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6.x

crystal

clear and nice

guess I wasn't lucky (spent some turns trying to hit a spearmen on grass without success)

allow recruiting in the middle base (OK, that would make it lots easier)

badluck + stupid playing :oops:

NA
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Mythological wrote:This is a review of "End of Peace" - the starting scenario of the Son of the Black Eye campaign. Feel free to answer the questions below; reviews of other scenarios are also available on the forum.

1.6.4, medium

5. Not terribly difficult, but my first go-around I played stupid and of course paid for it.

Crystal.

Decent set-up. I look forward to more!

Well, I'm a bit worried that I didn't level anyone, and no one is even within one kill of levelling. It was very hard getting a kill or two in, and then protecting those guys. We'll see how bad that turns out to be.

5. Nothing special, but I've never been much of a fan of open-field battles.

It's OK.
Me playing when I just woke up and was lazy. :(
n/a
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.1
(2) 7 - several attempts required.
(3) Clear.
(4) Fine.
(5) Cavalry aren't easy to beat with grunts; but the enemy will focus all their attacks on any archers that you put into the front line. Enemy fencers running around my line and focusing on injured units, and cavalry are nearly as problematic. Fencers sneaking into defensive terrain, where they are a real pain to kill. Cavalry roaming the west plain during daylight, able to knock off any unit I put into a village to defend it.
(6) 5 - it's a tough field battle.
(7) I would take out the annoying fencers, or cap the number that the AI can recruit.
(8) No.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.3, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

Clear

The dialog in the scenario was good, but I liked the intro story much more.

Not losing too many units

7 – I enjoyed playing as the orcs for a change

None, I think it’s fine

No
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.5

7 - I lost units, and got lucky. I beat it on my first time without a single reload.

Go kill Mr. Arrogance.

Solid.

I sent two wolf riders west and 4 grunts/archers east to the castle/forest. My riders faired poorly (both died, but they killed two cavalry). I sent another wolf rider west with my hero and an archer, and a few more units SE as funds became available.

I almost lost my archer (a spearmen went 1 for 3 while I was in a village). I think the big strategy in this level concerns directing XP. I leveled both a grunt and an archer to lvl 2.

I finished in round 19/30 with 149 gold and will bring 138 into the next scenario.

In search of XP, I decided to try the human confrontation.

7 - Its a very traditional first scenario, which is probably ok given the adjustment to playing orcs.

Good as is.

No.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2

Clear.

Good.

I needed to learn not to overextend my forces and be patient. I lost a lot of units. I did no save-reloads, though I had to play the scenario a few times.

Maybe less villages and/or move some villages closer to the enemy's camp.

It took me a few attempts to win.

Just two comments, but it's okay.

Edit: Uploaded new replay with a better victory.
Attachments
SotBE-End_of_Peace_replay.gz
(19.25 KiB) Downloaded 1032 times
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Content Feedback wrote:This is a review of "End of Peace" - the starting scenario of the Son of the Black Eye campaign. Feel free to answer the questions below; reviews of other scenarios are also available on the forum.

1.9.2, Nightmare

Honestly, a 10 so far. I've played this twice on medium, no probs, but I have gone through 4 times (no save-loads) on hard, and get chopped up every time. Once I died near round 21 or so, rushing for the leader. That's the closest I've gotten. I prob should have save-loaded, since it as another one of those "I miss both shots on a spearman-he hits 3 times" combats, of which there have been FAR more than statistically normal. (I have kept stats since my first try, and yes, all 3 times I am getting hit at higher than 60% while in forest, and also hitting them less than 50% despite them in the open.)

Well, so far a zero, it's just frustrating to be up against twice as many forces with just level 1s and no real terrain bonuses. (Forest only gives 10% extra to me, and so far that hasn't mattered a lick.) For a first scenario, this is pretty dumb.

Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Normal (Difficult), 1.8.5

2. A quick Goblin Rider sortie and you'll be at a gigantic advantage for the entire mission.

Perfectly clear.

Love it. The plot is more subtle and political than most, and the dialogue is both distinctly Orcish and really likable.

None, really.

6. A nice little introduction to the Orc troops.

None.

None.
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5

I lost 4 units, managed to kill 19, no saves/reloads during the game ofc.

Very clear.

It's clear and interesting, Northeners campaign is generally refreshing when compared to loyalists and rebels campaigns.

Dealing with cavalry. If player won't recruit significant amount of archers, this scenario difficulty will go up since grunts performance is below average when it comes to dealing with the loyalists cavalry. 5 to 6 archers forces AI in this scenario to recruit more fencers, thus whole loyalist army can be destroyed more easily.

It's important to send 2 wolves west in the early part of the scenario, to grab some villages, if one of them is strong, resilient, it should take part in the main battle after the first couple of turns. Quick one should grab more villages and draw few horsemen from the main battle - with some luck he will outmanouver them with the help of 1 - 2 grunts later on.

It's good to level up 1 strong, res wolf here to goblin knight (decent 4 attacks unit is something that Northeners need more than the slow ability Goblin Pillager has early on) and - possibly - get a crossbowmen. Some kills (espescially lieutenant) should be given to Kapou'e, since Northeners are considerably more powerful when leaded by the Orish Ruler and almost unstoppable under the Orcish Sovereign influence.

Other kills should be distributed to archers and grunts (espescially resilient, strong grunts and quick/resilient archers)

It's a quick, fun scenario that requires skill and decent planning ability with keep changing, it's also a good way to learn how to handle the cavalry and it's important knowledge for every wesnoth player can use in multiplayer. Player is also forced to divide some units from his army to capture villages in the west => it's also a possibility to train some harassing.

All in all, I give it 9/10 points.

It would be nice if that wounded 16/30xp strong, resilient wolf that appears in the end of the scenario was loyal :mrgreen:

No.

Here's the replay:
Attachments
SotBE-End_Of_Peace_replay.gz
(18.9 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Before reviewing the scenario, I would like to say that I tried to look at the two scenario replays which were posted, but it didn't work. I put them into my saves directory, but whenever I tried to load one of them, I was told that the file was corrupt. :(

Grunt (Challenging) on 1.9.6

I didn't find it very difficulty once I found out what to do. I would give it a 4/10 in terms of difficulty.

Nothing wrong with them, crystal clear.

The dialogue is clear, and quite interesting. It was different to be playing as Northerners after all those campaigns where you kill tons of them. I liked Kapou'e's orcish personality, as it adds a little more flavor to the dialogue.

Finding out where to position my troops, and protecting my archers. I remember playing this scenario on 1.8.5 a few months ago, also on Grunt. I got crushed. So just today, I tried again, and positioned my troops by the mountains. My troops were outnumbered, buy we were on the hills, and made contact at night. I lost again. Then, noticing that I had quite a high income, I moved my troops to the next keep, and still made contact at night. I recruited two more archers, and two more grunts. Because of that, everything became so much easier, and that's probably what I should have done earlier.

I also managed to level up my two Orcish Archers into Orcish Crossbowmen, and leveled Kapou'e into an Orcish Ruler.

Very fun, especially for a starting scenario. While not as challenging, I found it pretty neat to have the higher income but lower starting gold, making me get to the second keep. The dialogue also helped make this scenario very appealing to the player. Also, playing as Northerners made it a bit more unique.

I would suggest possibly adding dialogue when your forces meet and start fighting, but this is a pretty simple and quick scenario, so I guess not having that is fine as well.

Not going to the keep to recruit more troops, and thus ending up outnumbered. Started again at turn four and made my troops run to the east instead.

Everything is pretty self explanatory, nothing needing to be changed.
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

Medium (challenging?), 1.8

3, basically just felt like getting used to playing Orcs. Kind of like the first scenario in HoT.

Very

It was alright

Dealing with enemy cavalry. Fencers were irritating as well.

5. Just your average scenario.

I think it's fine as it is. It's a good way to get used to playing Orcs before plunging into the rest of the campaign.

I restarted once because I felt like I didn't put enough thought into positioning my troops, and was taking heavy losses.

The strategy for this map is pretty simple. Send a detachment of troops, primarily Riders, around the Western side of the lake to snatch villages and prevent enemy forces from slipping around my flank. The main army pushed southward and secured the neutral keep, which made things pretty easy from there on out. I could keep a constant flow of recruits and it made a great defensive position during the day, when the enemy was strongest. A single night-time offensive broke the lines just as my Western detachment was mopping up around the lake. Enemy leader was lured out of his keep and slain on the spot. I came out with some high level-one XP and two crossbowmen. :)