Wesnoth screenshots!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Wesnoth screenshots!

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

You haven't played To Lands Unknown?! :augh:
It's only the latest, best, most awesome, amazingly incredible campaign in the last decade... :lol2:

On a more serious note, I am a bit surprised that you haven't heard of it; anyways, this is the campaign's thread. It's by inferno8, creator of EoMa, and instead of using normal terrain, he lays one giant painted image over the entire map, so each map is painstakingly and purposely crafted and designed. It also uses some pretty dang cool "movie"-type animations... :mrgreen:
It is by far the best campaign I have ever played, and I would highly recommend it. :wink:

By the way, it's also a really big download... originally inferno8 had to upload it in 5 separate parts.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Impressive in the way of effort and writing (for a wesnoth campaign) at any rate. I wasn't too fond of the gameplay.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Velensk wrote:Impressive in the way of effort and writing (for a wesnoth campaign) at any rate. I wasn't too fond of the gameplay.
It's certainly a different style of gameplay, since it relies on inferno8's UMC era, Era of Magic, and has no mainline units in it at all, IIRC. It's definitely a different kind of gameplay from standard Wesnoth, but I actually kind of like that.

But if you haven't tried Invasion from the Unknown yet, I strongly recommend you do, it's really a great campaign.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

My favorite part personally was the art. (Although, as a non-artist myself, it doesn't take much to impress me; but despite that, I can still easily tell that TLU went above and beyond all other campaigns art-wise)

And I have to agree that some of the gameplay wasn't the greatest, but I can say that it has improved a lot since the first release. I've been reading the thread and following the development all the way, and many positive changes have been made in that area.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have no problem with using alternate eras (though EoMa is not a favorite, an excess of magic makes terrain less significant), it was the way the era was employed. I havn't played it since shortly after it was released so I don't know how much the gameplay has improved.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

Gambit wrote:That's a lot of screenshots. :shock:
Wow, Wesnoth's history in a handful of screens... *tears*
I still remember the 1.6.x days :'D

Anyway, 1.9.x looks totally gorgeous, how many highly-skilled monkeys have you hired to make that? :P
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
khelben1979

Post by khelben1979 »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:You haven't played To Lands Unknown?! :augh:
It's only the latest, best, most awesome, amazingly incredible campaign in the last decade... :lol2:
From the screenshots you can see that I've played it, but only a little. The dissapointment with that campaign was in the beginning were you couldn't base your strategy upon the terrain, because sometimes the AI is a bit stupid on that part, so it's fun to use the weak strategy from them and try to win by being smart on that.

Otherwise I think I need to play the campaign more to know exactly how I feel about it, but so far it definitely isn't one of my favouties. :) :) Wandering around with huge armies with the elves and shooting off some arrows is definitely more in my liking and the fact that treants can hide in the forest etc. that's fun too!

Thanks for all your comments so far, I was thinking that the screenshots would not be so interesting, but this proved me wrong! I will be able to contribute with some replays from the game later on as well.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:You haven't played To Lands Unknown?!
It's only the latest, best, most awesome, amazingly incredible campaign in the last decade...
On 1.9. Overall, I personally think that Invasion from the Unknown is the best campaign.
khelben1979 wrote:I was thinking that the screenshots would not be so interesting, but this proved me wrong
Screenshots are always fun :D
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

TheDreamer wrote:Anyway, 1.9.x looks totally gorgeous, how many highly-skilled monkeys have you hired to make that? :P
If you mean the new terrain: just Eleazar, who did an awesome job with the new terrain graphics. 8)

If you mean overall: too many people to list here. :D
khelben1979 wrote:From the screenshots you can see that I've played it, but only a little. The dissapointment with that campaign was in the beginning were you couldn't base your strategy upon the terrain, because sometimes the AI is a bit stupid on that part, so it's fun to use the weak strategy from them and try to win by being smart on that.

Otherwise I think I need to play the campaign more to know exactly how I feel about it, but so far it definitely isn't one of my favouties. Wandering around with huge armies with the elves and shooting off some arrows is definitely more in my liking and the fact that treants can hide in the forest etc. that's fun too!
TLU is a different kind of gameplay, for sure. But that makes it a novelty to play, too. Perhaps you should try coming back to it whenever you get tired of the 'regular' wesnoth gameplay. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

We actually have an infinite number of unskilled monkeys who have been pounding away in MS paint since its release.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Sangel wrote:I must admit, I'm curious as to the source of these two screenshots. I don't believe I've seen that particular campaign before.
While it is already answered, it is also easy to find out - simply look which addon is the biggest in file-size :-)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:You haven't played To Lands Unknown?! :augh:
The beauty of Wesnoth, my friend. No matter how long you've been playing Wesnoth, there's always new and interesting finds to be made. :wink:
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Sangel wrote:I must admit, I'm curious as to the source of these two screenshots. I don't believe I've seen that particular campaign before.
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31799
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

artisticdude wrote:
TheDreamer wrote:Anyway, 1.9.x looks totally gorgeous, how many highly-skilled monkeys have you hired to make that? :P
If you mean the new terrain: just Eleazar, who did an awesome job with the new terrain graphics. 8)

If you mean overall: too many people to list here. :D
Hehe, wow, that's awesome. Had a look at the new Fire Dragon too... :shock:

The "evolution" of Wesnoth is fascinating... from the pre-1.0 versions to the modern ones, from Amiga-like graphics to a respectable modern-day PC graphics level. Amazing job, all. :)
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
khelben1979

Post by khelben1979 »

I'm updating this thread with the news that the Wesnoth screenshots provided by the link now contains some statistics windows from the games I've played this year. Some are still missing, but most of them are there.

I'm updating the pics. archive mostly for myself, but feel free to express your opinion, hopefully a positive one. ;)