Humble Indy Bundle #2

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tonepoet

Humble Indy Bundle #2

Post by Tonepoet »

Oh hey everybody, I thought since the response was so overwhelmingly positive last time that you guys might want to take a look into the second iteration of the Humble Indy Bundle. For those of you who missed it the first time, it's basically a fundraiser type deal where five independent game developers make you an offer you'd be rather hard pressed to refuse. Basically you get five cross platform compatible shareware games DRM free for the extremely reasonable price of whatever you want to offer. The proceeds go to the five developers, a couple of charities and Humble Bundle Inc. to be divvied up as you dictate with the sliders near the bottom of the page.

The games offered in this round are Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium and Revenge of the Titans. Personally I'm really excited about the Mechanarium offer myself since its a game I've been waiting out on for months in the hopes of a physical copy of the macintosh edition buut no luck so far. The short story is that it's a very artisticly ambient hand drawn flash based point 'n click game with a very unique interface that has you manipulating your character's height and moving him around in order to gain access to various parts of the level to collect stuff and complete the puzzles, with robots.

I've got yet to know anything about the other games buut I just got the thing for the low low cost of one cent just so I could check them out. I'm also interested in seeing what you guys think of the offerings this round, so see you later.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Humble Indy Bundle #2

Post by ancestral »

Hey, I'm glad someone posted on this!

The last one was awesome, and this time around looks to be pretty good as well, with its name-your-price and cross-platform goodness. Some of these games, like Braid and Cortex Command have won indie dev awards, so they're good stuff.
Last edited by ancestral on December 16th, 2010, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have tried the demos for a couple of these games. I didn't like Cortex Command at all. Revenge of the Titans is a decent tower defense game.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Tonepoet wrote: I just got the thing for the low low cost of one cent
They must love you for that. Did it all go to charity?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

How long will this be going on for?
doofus-01 wrote:
Tonepoet wrote: I just got the thing for the low low cost of one cent
They must love you for that. Did it all go to charity?
:lol2: Nice.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Tonepoet wrote:I've got yet to know anything about the other games buut I just got the thing for the low low cost of one cent just so I could check them out.
It's the butchered quote that makes it sound wrong. What I understood is that he wants to play test first and later on pay the real amount.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Hmmm. I might buy this one. The osmos demo was awesome, and revenge of the titans looks like something I would enjoy.
The creator of Minecraft paid $2000.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yoyobuae wrote:It's the butchered quote that makes it sound wrong. What I understood is that he wants to play test first and later on pay the real amount.
"Butchered quote" my foot. He didn't say he was going to go back and pay later. Most people didn't pay for that "pay what you want" Radiohead album a few years back, so taking for a penny is something a lot of people are capable of doing.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

offtopic:
Some time ago I read an article about some hotel here in Germany where they have the "pay what you want" philosophy too. They name a list price what it would cost, but guests are completely free to pay whatever they consider appropriate. The surprising result is that the hotel runs pretty well, most of the guests pay the list price nevertheless. Paying less implies the need to explain why and such, and it's hard to find good reasons. So, if personal contact is involved, it can work. That being said, it's good advertisement in any case.

(For music albums however there's likely a good reason to pay nothing: loudness war)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Again (since no-one noticed my post): I checked on the website and saw no time limit. How long is this going to go on for?
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

bigkahuna wrote:Again (since no-one noticed my post): I checked on the website and saw no time limit. How long is this going to go on for?
The on the upper right, the time left counter:
5(days) : 20(hours) : 41(minutes) : 36(seconds)
doofus-01 wrote:
Yoyobuae wrote:It's the butchered quote that makes it sound wrong. What I understood is that he wants to play test first and later on pay the real amount.
"Butchered quote" my foot. He didn't say he was going to go back and pay later. Most people didn't pay for that "pay what you want" Radiohead album a few years back, so taking for a penny is something a lot of people are capable of doing.
Just saying what I understood from the original post.

Even so, here we have installment #2 of the already very successful Humble Indie Bundle. It's surprising how well they are doing, you know with all those ungrateful people which pay a penny only. :roll:
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Oh finally!

They say they were going to do this again and I was keeping an eye out for this since last year…

Wow, some of those games look promissing! Too bad Braid seem to not be available for Mac… and Mechanarium… a bit of a mystery; I haven't been able to get much information from the website…
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Uh, Braid is available on the Mac, as is Mechanarium.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

"Just so" is a statement I'm doing something I normally wouldn't for a reason and "I could check them out" shows that this reason is for the purposes of evaluation. I figured that the context would've implied that the purposes of this evaluation was for figuring just how much I should donate, since as stated before I normally wouldn't normally offer a mere penny.

However I do plan on utilizing the check box for gift links to horde 1c bundles I'll pass around to people who may've missed out after the deal expires, which is arguably worse. Think what you will of that. :whistle:

Also I just played all five games in Mac OS, albeit I'm using one of the later Intel iMacs running version 10.5.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
boru

Post by boru »

Braid looks like one of those games I'd never get thru, just get killed in the same spot a million times. Cortex Command, not sure, maybe the same thing but might be good. Machinarium looks great, you find junk and use it to solve problems. You can play the demo on their website without downloading anything. Osmos: the video looks nice, kind of like a freeform PacMan, we'll see how it goes. Revenge of the Titans has a tech tree to research and then it's tower defense. Looks good to me.

Overall, it looks like a much better bundle than the first one was.

Cortex and Titans are both still under active development and if you buy the bundle you're eligible for future updates.

It's sorta pathetic that people would only pay a penny for this, but amazingly, about 1/4th are actually paying LESS: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Saving- ... die-Bundle

I'm not sure why I'd want to donate to EFF. I didn't when I paid for this, just for the Child's Play and of course the devs, with a small humble tip. EFF seems mostly about suing the US government, so as a taxpayer I already pay them, like it or not.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.