[Complete] New tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Huumy

[Complete] New tournament

Post by Huumy »

The spoiler contains stuff about me (not directly related to the tournament).
Spoiler:
The tournament:
To me it seems it's hard to have a tightly packed tournament for wesnoth even 1 game/week can be hard to do.
So --> I thought out simple way to keep it.
- Slow paced tournament 2weeks time to play 1 game.
- Simple elimination brackets one player advances one is eliminated from the tournament. The more players the longer the tournament is.
Example: 8 players need 3 rounds (Round of 8 -> Round of 4 -> and finals round of 2)
9-16 players would need 4 rounds. (if less then 16 players sign up lets say 12, some players would get free wins in the first round)
-The tournament do not have it's own website all info can be found in this thread.

So the tournament would last about 2 months (every round last 2 weeks) depending on how many players sign up.
Rules:
-Timer: no timer, if players both agree on other time settings they can use them.
-Use map settings.
-Observers: Always on.
-Name of the game: "Tournament round of x - (insert player name here) vs (insert player name here)"
-Games can be saved and continued later if both players agree. Try to set up time when you are going to continue plz. You can also use this thread to set up times.
-Maps: Every round has it's own map (I picked the maps randomly from map pool containing most of the 1v1 ladder maps).
-Factions (races), must be picked for every map when signing in for the tournament: RANDOM can be picked as faction (race). If you want same faction for every map you can state simply "insert faction here, all" or something like that.
-Bad mannering (cursing, leaving games without saying anything etc.) can result ban from the future tournaments (In the end I alone decide what is bad mannering and before banning you from future tournaments I prolly give warning.)
-Winners post the result AND the replay in this thread. Also short description of the game would be nice :).
-Just to make clear, the rounds are best of one.
-If both players agree on tie the game will be played again.
-Games are played with the newest stable version of wesnoth.

I want to hear opinion about (only from users who are signing in).
- Would you like the option for the finals to be best of 3 if both players agree? (still only 2 weeks time to play it)

Maps: Every who signs in has to use newest version of Random Map Picker add-on (not because it picks random maps but because it has all the new version of the maps).
This was the pool I randomly picked 6 maps:
Caves of Basilisk
Den of Onis
Elensefar courtyard
Fallenstar Lake
Hamlets
Hornshark Island
Howling ghost badlands
Sablestone delta
Scarred Foothills
Serpernt Ford
The Freelands
Weldyn Channel

The maps I picked for the tournament:
- The possible but very unlikely Round of 64: Hornshark Island
- Round of 32: Weldyn Channel
- Round of 16: Den of Onis
- Round of 8: The Freelands
- Round of 4(semi finals): Serpent Ford
- Round of 2(finals): Hamlets

The possible tournament starts (if 4 or more players sign in) a week from now: December 10th: Also I will notify when the signings end that day (when I wake up that day and get in the forums). During the same day I will make brackets and post them in this thread (my timezone is +2 central european time).
The brackets shall be random :)
If you see major flaws in this tournament plz tell post in this thread what it is :). If you think this tournament sucks without telling specific reason don't post it in this thread.

Every round is best of one :) Every round will last 2 weeks.
How to sign in?
Send reply to this thread saying:
Your Multiplayer nick
Your faction for every round (if same for all rounds state only one faction)
Also state if you would like to see specific rule changes.

I hope this tournament would be enjoyable by all. If things goes smoothly I start keeping this tournament regularly (will have a week to sign in between tournaments).
If you already in the tournament and know you can't play your game during the 2 week period, send post in this thread or pm me (your opponent will have free win but you save him the time to search you).

There is no prize money but players who get in top 8 will get points for possible final tournament end of the next year or just to see how people are improving/doing in these tournaments.
The scores are given:
Winner 7 points
Second place 5 points
3-4 place 3 points
5-8 place 1 point

What you should post in this thread as a player?
-Results
-Possibly when you are going to play your game (so people who follow know when to watch).
-Set times with your opponent when to play.
-What you see could be improved.
What you should post in this thread as a non-player.
-Discussion about the games
-Hype :)
-Anything related to the tournament funny or not. But not hating or flaming.

If you encounter any problems about the tournament pm me.

Ps. I'll edit my post as the tournament goes on and have brackets, results and maybe some other stuff in this post.

People now you can sign in, you have about 7 days time to do it. :)

Pss. I would also hear name suggestions for this tournament during the sign ins. I'll pick one as the games start.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Huumy

Re: New tournament

Post by Huumy »

No tournament :) I'll try keep another one at start of the january.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Unfortunately you tried to have this while TGT is running. Everyone who plays competitively is either in TGT, or spectating every match.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Yeah, didn't know about TGT before I posted :)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

It's generally good idea to set tournament dates quite far in advance, to give more time more time for word to spread and people to sign up. Best of luck hosting, and best of luck to the participants.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

try posting it in the multiplayer forum imo
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Alternately, we could have another TOC. Want to help me run it? Granted, we should probably wait for TGT to end.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Doc Paterson wrote:Alternately, we could have another TOC. Want to help me run it? Granted, we should probably wait for TGT to end.
I was thinking about contacting you soon about this actually :)
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236