Modifiable Android Project (new MP scenarios coming soon!)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SpoOkyMagician

Modifiable Android Project (new MP scenarios coming soon!)

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

- Foreword -

For those of you who are familiar with the platform game for wesnoth I designed awhile back, you may already know what this will be. For those who don't, I designed a simple platform style like game with WML awhile back. The concept was neat within itself and very unique. It's not a perfect platforming style but, it's close enough. (Most likely, I will borrow most of the code I used from the test concept.) Anyway, instead of my intended design with simple (10x80 hex) maps/levels, I decided to just make one giant world map. This way, I can make it similar to the Metroid style of gameplay. (You can only explore specific areas once you get specific upgrades/weapons/etc.) I think the only hard part will be custom images for the hero/enemies/etc. I am not a great artist. If you would like to contribute, feel free. But, ask me before doing so. In the meantime, I have to design the world, the units, and the gameplay. (Which should take some time but mostly the world map/WML.) I'll move on for now and continue to explain the campaign/scenario further...

- Information -

Title: MAP
Description: A single player campaign with a platform game like style. You play as a android that has the ability to modify his weapons, armor, etc. Explore a strange underground world that he found.
Genre(s): Platformer/Exploration
Creators/Contributors: SpoOkyMagician, zookeeper, zinc23, Maramros, Mythological, boru
Current Version: 1.0.1 (Available on 1.8 add-on servers) - Comments -

* From here, I need to basically, design some move types (hero/enemies), unit types (hero/enemies), and start working on the basic WML (Scenario/WML). I am just going to skip animations/images since I have little skill in art. (in my opinion anyway.) Once I get a decent version of the game complete, I will release it as a beta. (Since images/animations won't be done.)
* I would also like to note that the game itself may sound simple. (Shoot some enemies, kill some bosses, collect items, explore, and so on.) Although, I will be sure to add some challenging aspects to the game too. (Like, some enemies will be 100% resistant to specific weapons. Making them only killable once you find specific upgrades and whatnot.)
* Anyway, I better get to it... :)
* I thought of a basic world design. It will consist of four different depths. The first will be just the entrance ground floor. It will basically be a cavern like area. The second will be a strange growth like area with plants and water. A jungle like environment. Third will be the primary base. It's basically a lab like area. However, you cannot reach this area until you go though the fourth area. The fourth area will be near the planets core. There will be a lot of lava/magma here. This area will be dangerous if you fall into it...
* Added screenshot of current map design. Note that this design can change at any time. But, the overall size should remain the same.
* I'd like to give a more expanded explanation on how the game will work here. (For those of you who have not seen the concept before.) Every time you move your character, you will instantly fall until you reach a platform like terrain, some lava, or any of the hook like terrains. If there is an enemy below you, you will instantly stop on top of the enemy as well. (The enemy may cause damage too. Undecided on this yet though.) This is the basic concept. To explain the game further, read below...
* The following comments will explain a lot of the games upgrades below...
* Energy Core: These gives you +50 max hitpoints. (You will find these around the world map. There are 9 total. Maximum of 500 hitpoints.)
* Attachable Cannons: These gives you new types of weapons. (You get a arcane type cannon by default.)
* Attachable Armors: These increase your resistance to specific types of damage. (Default is 20% resistance at all. Maximum is 60% resistance.)
* Rocket Boosters: This allows you to move twice as fast when jumping/moving around the world. (Default is 4 moves. With this, you can move up to 8.)
* Compression Mode: This allows you to explore the small caverns around the world that you couldn't before. (The cave terrains.)
* Hook: This allows you to grab onto specific cliffs/hanging objects/etc and continue to climb. (The unjumpable areas.)
* This is the general upgrade I have in mind. Although, there may be more added. (If I think of any others anyway...)
* Added another screenshot of the second edit. (A lot more to go however...)
* Added third screenshot of map design. (only three more rooms to go. Although, they may change...)
* Fourth screenshot added. (This is the basic design of the worldmap. May change. Depending on test/debug run.)
* The gravity effect is complete. (except for lava/depending if you have upgrades/etc...)
* The basic test run I just did seemed to work just fine. (No enemies, only 3 upgrades at the moment.) All the areas music changes correctly apon entering the area. I also added some basic sound effects when falling and landing. (Although, I plan to add more yet.)
* Thanks to zookeeper, he suggested another form of WML gravity.
* Re-added sound effects with new gravity code.
* Fixed gravity code after a few hours of embarrassment but, it works for the most part. (Still needs lava death though.)
* Added screenshot 5 of map. (Minor changes/fixes.)
* Figured out/Finally solved the falling on top of an enemy problem. (the filter took me awhile to write correctly but, I finally got it.) Falling on top of units removed the unit completely. (Which is not what I intended to happen.)
* Starting on the enemy units now. After that, I need to place a bunch of them and test the game.
* I designed 5 enemy units for now. I also did another test run. I found the game quiet interesting. (Very long though.) I just need to add more enemies, finish up the WML for last area, and the game should be stable. I decided to use default images (but renamed for now. I need to make custom images later on. Although, these will do for now.) Oh, and I also added gravity to specific enemies too. (non flying enemies.) Anyway, I will try to finish this up tomorrow or so... goodnight.
* added more enemies, a new enemy, and added a drain like effect to the hero. (he loses 2 hitpoints every side turn.) This is to make the game more challenging. I have to make enemies for the last two areas yet, finish up the ending triggers, and find somewhere to put some upgradable armors. Oh, still undecided with the difficulty thing as of yet. I'll give it more thought...
* Decided to go with a simple concept for difficulties. (easy +500 hitpoints, normal, +250 hitpoints, hard +0 hitpoints.) The hard mode will be very challenging and will require a lot of save/reloads. (I died just in the second area in like... 30 turns? It is somewhat hard... Mostly due to the energy drain effect. However, I like it.)
* Added a bunch of stuff for the past few hours. (Enemies, new examinable stuff, bolt/rock cannon now collectable/not automatically got., and a lot more here and there.) It's nearly finished. (I still have to add the ending events and eventually get custom art. Although, that can wait til later on.) Anyhow, I got to go now. Goodnight all.
* Decided to remove the difficulty bonus hitpoints for now. I found that the bonus hitpoints made the game too easy. I will figure out something for this later on...
* Decided to release the first beta version of MAP.
* Thanks to zinc23 for finding a problem with the ending. (My bad. I'll remove the kill tag and leave the enemies be.) I'll fix/update in a few minutes...
* version 0.9.2 is now released. the scenario should now be completable. (If not, I apologize.) I will look into translations tomorrow. I have yet to get that working...
* Yet again, I found out that MAP was still uncompletable again by zinc23. I decided to make 100% sure you could complete it this time. I moved the leader next to the spot, moved him, and it teleported me. If there are still problems with the scenario... I swear... lol...
* I decided to make new enemies for normal/hard difficulties. (The current enemies is for the easy difficulty.)
* I added new images for units and updated the space background. (Looks much better.) :)
* Updated a few bugs and added a few things here and there. (Not updated download yet.)
* A lot of fixes/changes/etc. I also uploaded version 0.9.8 to the server. Enjoy! :Awesome:
* I fixed a lot more things and released version 1.0.0! :mrgreen:
* released version 1.0.1 :)
Last edited by SpoOkyMagician on September 11th, 2010, 9:14 am, edited 15 times in total.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Orick

Re: Modifiable Android Project (Beta 0.9.5 Released)

Post by Orick »

Makes no sense. I was killed after few turns, due to lack of energy. How on earth could I charge my android?! Needs a lot of work.
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Well, I played it a while ago, the concept itself looks innovative, it was fun to go through it, I have not much soggestions since for me it looked like done. Maybe having more variety with the weapons you get, something like having some other secials, I saw the weapons really similar...

For the lava level, maybe add some flying rats apart of the suicide bats, to find it a bit more battle-like. The end was ok, just that, what it did was stay on a rechaging thing, and then, move to recahrge whenever needed, since the only enemy that moved freely was the boss and some tiggered guards, the rest stayed quiet... Ah, and make a bit clearer where to end the scenario.

For the last comment, you just got to move to the Orcish castles to regain Hp, try reading the tutorial for any more help...
SpoOkyMagician

Re: Modifiable Android Project (Version 1.0.1 Released)

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Darkmage wrote:Well, I played it a while ago, the concept itself looks innovative, it was fun to go through it, I have not much soggestions since for me it looked like done. Maybe having more variety with the weapons you get, something like having some other secials, I saw the weapons really similar...

For the lava level, maybe add some flying rats apart of the suicide bats, to find it a bit more battle-like. The end was ok, just that, what it did was stay on a rechaging thing, and then, move to recahrge whenever needed, since the only enemy that moved freely was the boss and some tiggered guards, the rest stayed quiet... Ah, and make a bit clearer where to end the scenario.

For the last comment, you just got to move to the Orcish castles to regain Hp, try reading the tutorial for any more help...
Yes, thank you for pointing that out to him Darkmage. I'll admit, I did my best to at the time to explain things. Although, it is a bit confusing at first. (if you skip the messages.)

Well, certain enemies within the game are not meant to move around much. Especially the smlug. (He can only move around in the water/swamp.) Some don't move at all. Like the Harok. He is meant to block the path and prevent you from going to places. Of course there are the fast enemy that attack very often. (Lavmar/Zlap.) I know it wasn't much of a challange. However, there is a reason for this. As mentioned in the game, all difficulties are the same at the moment. However, I thought of some new creatures/enemies/etc to make for the harder difficulties. Like the "Nifhid". It cannot move at all but, it remains hidden under the ground until you get close to it. (Basically, it has ambush.) This machine was built by this race to prevent others from coming to this place. It will have a powerful gun that causes major damage. (A nice challenge.) However, I been busy lately that I have not upgraded the project since then. I may come back and update this soon enough.

edit: Performs a full test run... (I have been putting this off. I only tested parts of the scenario. For the most part, everything works though.)

edit: I was also told that one of the armor's actually give negative resistance. I have yet to test/check this out. Although, if this is the case, I will be sure to fix it.

edit: I haven't got to the armor yet but, I found a problem... The lock unit doesn't have resistance... I meant for this unit to be immortal. (You have to find the 3 keys to unlock this area.) I will fix this as soon as possible...

edit: I made the "lockfoot" but, I forgot that i renamed it something else. It should work now fine. (Fixed it.)

edit: It seems I screwed up a key location when I tested something. I'll fix that as well... (this applies to only me I believe.)

edit: Found the armor. He was correct. I got it backwards. I forgot that I need to be adding negative resistance in order for it to be positive. (I'll fix that too.)

edit: I made the guards movement to 8 now. This should add some challenge to the final battle.

edit: I don't like the fact that when you "fall", the screen/view doesn't scroll along with the player. It seems I forgot to add this in. (Of course, the player won't be visible in shroud. However, it just makes more sense to scroll along with the player like most platform games do.)

edit: I added energy sphere's to drop on specific enemies when killed. This will heal you 10 energy/hitpoints. (One's that use some sort of energy source.)

edit: Now that I did all that, I will work on the new creatures and work on the difficulties. This should make the game more challenging for sure. :)

edit: It's getting late here. I will try to finish this up tomorrow. I also want to repeat this as I believe I said above. These sprites are only temporary. I don't exactly want them to be used. I just made some quick/simple versions of what I want. I know I cannot draw well. I am just trying to get the point across. If you would like to contribute art to MAP, please do. All work will be appreciated and credited. Anyway, I am going to bed now. Goodnight all.
Last edited by SpoOkyMagician on August 12th, 2010, 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I played MAP one or two month ago and I really enjoyed it. The concept is very interesting. There were some bugs when I played it : it was not possible to end the scenario because of a problem with a teleporting event (but you say you have fixed it), and an annoying bug : the music restarted each time the android moved (because of the "gravity" sound).
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Feufochmar wrote:I played MAP one or two month ago and I really enjoyed it. The concept is very interesting. There were some bugs when I played it : it was not possible to end the scenario because of a problem with a teleporting event (but you say you have fixed it), and an annoying bug : the music restarted each time the android moved (because of the "gravity" sound).
Yes, that was fixed awhile back. I apologize for that bug.

This bug I am not aware of. However, the music DOES change every time you go to a new location/area. (the cave, the growth area, the lava cave, etc.) As far as to why the music changing every time you move, i don't know. Perhaps, you could fill me in on this bug?

edit: I am gonna work on the difficulties for awhile. Hopefully I should have a more difficult scenario for normal/hard mode.
Last edited by SpoOkyMagician on August 12th, 2010, 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(User Page)
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I retested MAP, and the bug with the music is not present any more (at least in the first area). The bug I experienced was the following : each time I moved, the "slap" sound of the gravity stopped the music of the area I was and after the "slap", the music of this area restarted from the begginning. It was very annoying in the last area.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Feufochmar wrote:I retested MAP, and the bug with the music is not present any more (at least in the first area). The bug I experienced was the following : each time I moved, the "slap" sound of the gravity stopped the music of the area I was and after the "slap", the music of this area restarted from the begginning. It was very annoying in the last area.
ah hell... I see the problem... :augh: I accidentally screwed up the IF_VAR macro on the last area. I'll be sure to fix that. Thanks for finding that. (Added to testers/debuggers credits.)

edit: I added an extra recharge station in the room before the rocket boosters. I found it pretty evil having to go all the way back to the other one to recharge energy. (considering you only get 100 maximum energy at this point.)

edit: If i calculated this correctly, if you got all the ammo boxes and never used any of them, that means you could do a maximum of 1300 damage. Although, the boss's hp is 250 and his resistance is 80% to everything. (If you used either bolt/rock cannon on him without using the ammo, you should do about 260 damage.) This concerns me a bit. This means the boss is somewhat easy. Although, since I increased the guards movement to 8, this may make it more challenging. However, you also have to consider that you have to use at least 3-5 of rocks/bolts on a few of the rubble's... I also considered how much unused space there is on the world map. I could easily hide at least 5 more ammo boxes around the world or more energy cores. Although, I feel like that I could add new weapons that are even stronger. Although, in order to reach them, you would need specific weapons to get there... Hm, I will think this over for awhile. I know I need to add stuff to the game. (Not that it is needed but, It would be interesting...)

edit: I have an idea. I am going to add some new armor and a new dangerous effect to the android. When you first start, you CANNOT enter water or you will be electrocuted and die. This new armor will prevent this from happening. (You are free to walk around in water.)

edit: storm... i gtg...

edit: Meh, it wasn't too bad but, the power almost went out two times... Glad it's still on... Anyway, back to work... :whistle:

edit: More modifications to the map here and there. (Nothing major. Only minor changes.)

edit: I had an interesting thought. (I doubt I will do it but, I'll consider it anyway.) Depending on what difficulty you pick, will also determine the number of worlds you have to explore as well. (Making 2 more new scenarios with the other nearby worlds.) It's a interesting idea. Although, I am unsure if I should. It took me like 800 turns to just get to the final area when i realized that I screwed up that key thing earlier. (so I only did a 80% full test run...) It would be interesting to use whatever you got from the last scenario to all the new worlds. But, that could cause major problems/annoying reloads. I may just make the other worlds smaller compared to the first one. I dunno. Again, I will think it over...

edit: I am done for today. I will continue this tomorrow. I should release a download by tomorrow or the next day.

edit: another day, another... uh, nevermind... Back to work. :annoyed: :lol2:

edit: something important just came to thought. If you don't get the rock/bolt cannon's and you get an ammo box, an error may occur or you will lose the chance to getting the ammo. I cannot allow this. I will add a check to this to be sure you have the cannons before you can grab the ammo.

edit: I made a bunch of changed already (if you are not aware.) and I did a full test run. (I had to cheat a bit here and there. I fixed the flaws that I seen though. Anyway, it looks possible to me.) I want to note a few changes though. I moved the rock/bolt cannon locations and I changed the rock cannon to the "hammer". I also allowed you to use the hook as a weapon. (but does very little damage.) There is a lot more updated as well. However, I won't say anymore. You have to play to see the changes when I release it. (About a day or two...)

edit: It seems I finished a bit early... :mrgreen: I am not 100% sure I should call this stable ( Version 1.0.0 ) so, I will still call it a beta to be sure. ( Version 0.9.8 ) I will go upload it real quick to the add-on server. I hope you enjoy the add-on's changes. If you find any flaws with the game or find something impossible, please be sure to let me know. ~ SpoOkyMagician

edit: I realized that I forgot to tell players about ammo boxes when they don't have the bolt cannon. I will be sure to fix this as soon as possible. I also noticed that the hook doesn't have a animation either. I will fix that next too. I'll be on the lookout for other bugs along the way as well...

edit: I am going to modify the code a bit as well. I tend to forget about making macros... (I have so much code that could be 'macro-tized'...)

edit: I'm gonna take another break from this. I will finish it up later.

edit: Back to finish this up...

edit: I forgot to add the healing animation to the Rephel. I fixed this just now.

edit: I forgot the hook animation as well. I fixed this too...

edit: I added a new intro scenario. (Displays helpful messages and small introduction.)

edit: They code is more efficient now. However, I still need to redo the gravity code yet. I feel that I need to split player 1's gravity and player 2's gravity into separate events. (This way, it won't interfere with each other.) I will fix this tomorrow. Once this is done, I will release version 0.9.9... It should be complete very soon. :) (If I cannot find any bugs in version 0.9.9, I will re-release it as 1.0.0)

edit: I fixed the gravity code a bit and added some comments here and there. Both sides have their own gravity to prevent confusion of the script. I will do a full test run later on today. If I complete the game on hard mode, (without finding any bugs) I will release this as version 1.0.0...

edit: While doing my test run, I realized that if you go into the one room without getting the rocket boosters, you will get stuck down there. I also noticed that the energy cannon upgrade didn't work either. I will be sure to fix that as well.

edit: It seemed to work perfectly. The only thing that did not work was the final escape. (The event wouldn't trigger the ending on the scenario. I'll look into it real quick. I should be able to fix this with ease. Once I fix this, I will reload/modify/back up/etc and upload version 1.0.0)

edit: I can't find the problem with the code I wrote. Although, I found some other errors due to ai gravity. This concerns me a bit. (I don't know if it's okay to have these or not. To be safe, I may need to remove the code. Although, I am unsure.)

edit: To be on the safe side, I am just going to comment out the gravity for now on the enemies. Once I get a response about this, I may/may not re-add it back in.

edit: Finally... Everything is done. I will release 1.0.0 now. xD
Last edited by SpoOkyMagician on August 12th, 2010, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(User Page)
boru

Re: Modifiable Android Project (Version 1.0.0 Released)

Post by boru »

Interesting concept, but there are some glitches and anomalies. I played up until the point where I picked up the key, went to the locked door and nothing happened. (To use the normal sized key in your campaign and get it to display properly, copy the png to your campaign folder, that's the only way I was able to get it to work.)
* At first the android is very fragile and weak, the game's not much fun until he finds some powerups. Once he has the hook, the power pack and at least one blue orb, it's a lot better.
* There are some swamp hexes in the beginning where you can safely rest, but in most you short circuit and die.
* The "smack" sound effect at the end of each turn gets really annoying by turn 500. We already have the annoying built-in "kettledrum" at the end of each turn, so I'd get rid of the "smack."
* What's up with the experience points? They started going up at the beginning, but they keep resetting to zero.
* Using keeps to regain HP is a unique approach, but it left me wondering who built powerup stations all over this unexplored cave and why the powerup stations weren't evidence of life instead of the dragon statues. It's funny, but if you just had villages there, I probably would have accepted them without question.
* I don't really understand the regenerating rubble. I have a 100% chance to hit it, and at the beginning I can always do 3 hits of 5 damage each, and it always gets ten back ... at that point in the game I always knew it would take three turns to destroy the rubble, never two, never four ... okay, I'm a grouch but this was not fun.
* sometimes I couldn't undo my moves and couldn't understand why. Sometimes I'd get a warning of an enemy nearby and the warning stopped my android and made him fall. Sometimes he'd stop in the middle of his move and fall for no reason I can understand.

I hope you'll keep working on this, because it's a clever idea and could be a lot of fun.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I gtg to the doctor but I will check into these when i get back. Although, I will respond to some of these before I go...

1: I will look into this. (But, I used the mainline key.png so this should be working. I'll check in a bit once I get back.)
2: This scenario is NOT intended to be easy. (even though parts of it are a bit tricky/challenging here and there.)
3: I thought I fixed that in the gravity code. Maybe I missed something. (I'll look into this when I get back. Can you tell me x,y locations please?)
4: Well, I can understand for that. I would like to keep something in there for "landing" but, it does seem to annoying after awhile... (I'll think this over.)
5: There is a reason for this. I wrote it in the comments...
# edit: we also need to reset the xp too... the enemies don't attack if about to level up...
If you think about it, players could get like 49/50 xp and never be attacked again... (so exploring the world would be boring as hell... I had to prevent it somehow so... I wrote a resetting xp every turn. Besides, I didn't want the android to level up anyway. :P )

6: Well, I considered the machines to be left behind, old, technology built by the race but, that's just my quickly, randomly thought, to respond but that sounds good enough to me? Don't you think? (I just needed a terrain to use and I picked this one... lol)
7: Well, I just wrote the rubblefoot pretty quickly. I kinda wanted it to be specific # of hits but, you make a good point. (Although, if I add defense, it's only going to make the game longer... I will think this over...)
8: Due to the fact that the scenario uses gravity, undo moves would be VERY BAD... (I'm assuming the the undo would try to be undone but it would have to know how the gravity works too. I could allow undo for non falling moves but other than that, I cannot...)
9: I took a lot of time on this and whatnot. I wanted to start working on UGS sense I promised myself I would work on that. Although, I will look into these before I do. Although, it will have to wait until I get back from the doctor... (Got a cold again... Anyway, I gtg now. I'll be back and look into these.)

edit: Oh and thanks for playing/commenting boru! :)
Last edited by SpoOkyMagician on August 12th, 2010, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(User Page)
boru

Re: Modifiable Android Project (Version 1.0.0 Released)

Post by boru »

I finished playing the game. It continues to get better as you get more powerups. Nice work!

About the key ... there is no bug. Once I got it through my head that it's not really a key, more of a switch that you turn and it opens random barrier somewhere else on the map, then I had no problems. It does display as a tiny key, not the 72x72 one.

I guess he doesn't really need to level up in the usual way, given all the weapons and power ups he finds. I did find this confusing in the beginning, though. Maybe when he first lands, he reports to Falcon that his experience accumulator module is malfunctioning, along with his undo-move regulator.
Sometimes I'd get a warning of an enemy nearby and the warning stopped my android and made him fall.
I'm attaching a saved game where this happens. Try to move the android into the easternmost swamp hex.

I hope you are over your cold soon.
Attachments
MAP-Underground_World-Auto-Save290.gz
(50.92 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

boru wrote:I finished playing the game. It continues to get better as you get more powerups. Nice work!

About the key ... there is no bug. Once I got it through my head that it's not really a key, more of a switch that you turn and it opens random barrier somewhere else on the map, then I had no problems. It does display as a tiny key, not the 72x72 one.

I guess he doesn't really need to level up in the usual way, given all the weapons and power ups he finds. I did find this confusing in the beginning, though. Maybe when he first lands, he reports to Falcon that his experience accumulator module is malfunctioning, along with his undo-move regulator.
Sometimes I'd get a warning of an enemy nearby and the warning stopped my android and made him fall.
I'm attaching a saved game where this happens. Try to move the android into the easternmost swamp hex.

I hope you are over your cold soon.
Might as well comment. (now that I am back.)

1: indeed and good job for completing it.
2: Huh... the filename's must both be "key.png"... (in both image directories of mainline... *checks* ...I see that the filename's are the same but the directories are different... strange... Why did it pick the other key? Well anyway, I may just copy/modify the existing key image to be safe... Anyway...)
3: I like that idea. I will add that to the messages. :)
4: Okay. I will look into this.
5: and thanks. I will be fine. (I will work on this real quick. I seem to get more sick when I try to rest with a cold. So, I'll just code...)

edit: Again, I want to point out that allow_undo would be bad. even in a case like this or worse. (Believe me, I found worse move that stop you from enemy movements. That is why I was extremely careful in the lava area... You wouldn't believe how many times I had to debug that area... However, you are correct. You should not continue falling everytime you sight an enemy. Although, If I remove/add shroud/fog, the results are the same. No, I will not remove both. I feel that the player should learn the map the first time though gameplay. If they were both off, you would know where everything was... It's an interesting dilemma... Although, If I read though the code, I may be able to prevent it. However, I am unsure if it's possible to filter out apon enemy spotted... Maybe [fiter_wml] could but I am unsure. I will look into this. You did raise a good point though... It does annoy me too...)

edit: I need to restart my computer... windows update... >.< brb...

edit: I will fix this real quick. (Also expect a PM coming for you.)

edit: okay so I fixed the key thing by adding a custom key image for now. (It's only temporary.) I also added a message in the tutorial about the undo moves/leveling up failures. Now I just want to see if it's possible to prevent gravity from triggering apon sighting an enemy... *thinks/reads wiki*

edit: Also added boru to credits (testers/debuggers)

edit: I am still undecided on this. In my mind I am trying to imagine the player hovering in mid air while just because he saw an enemy. (Yes, it makes sense since wesnoth is turned based. Although, I am trying to remove that possibility completely from the scenario. I also remembered that whenever you kill an enemy while standing ontop of them, you don't fall because you are standing on something that still exists within the game's memory. So, you remain airborne... Although, you are still correct with what you are saying... I looked on the wiki and there may be a way to filter it out but, I don't think it will work exactly as I would plan it. Mostly because how the gravity code is written. I might be able to add another filter in but, too many filters confuses the hell out of me. It took me awhile just to understand how to write the gravity filters in the first place. Although, I have to thank zookeeper for the newer gravity code. It was much better than the one I wrote... *thinks more deeply* ...Besides, I would even have to add more checking code afterwords. if the unit has no moves left, he cannot move and fall. so I would have to write something like... if moves != 0 then you MUST fall no matter what. even if you spot an enemy... Anyway, I will just leave it alone for now. If anyone wants this to truely be fixed, I will fix it. Until then, I will leave it...)

edit: oh, I forgot about the sound of landing... Maybe I should use a lower volume sound? this way, it will annoy you less but, still be present. I hate to just leave this sound out completely... *thinks what to replace it with* ...I replaced it with petrified.ogg... this should be less annoying. It gives the sound of landing dirt/mud/wet terrain. It makes sense for water and whatnot. although, the harder terrains make less sense... But whatever... It's less noisy then the turnbell at least... okay that sounds a little better anyway... the club sound does annoy you after awhile. hopefully this doesn't either... if it does... I could remove it but I rather not...

Anyway, releasing 1.0.1 now...

edit: I decided to add some random misc multiplayer scenarios. (android vs android. lol) It should be interesting. I'll let you know when their done.
(User Page)
wesfreak

Re: Modifiable Android Project (new MP scenarios coming soon

Post by wesfreak »

The lock mechanism is broken: When I moved on it the key just disappeared without a message, but I couldn't open the lock afterwards.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I played this scenario most of the way through... Here's my verdict.

New Stuff- I thought your falling system and upgrades was a really cool addition to Wesnoth, though it got kind of repetitive and was hard to predict. The upgrades came rather slow.

Premise - The premise was classic enough - random time in a galaxy far far away. I would've liked a bit more, though. I didn't know anything about the 'Galactic Federation' or Android technology. Why would they send a single robot to a planet that they are very interested in?

Player-NPC interaction - This one was kind of a lonely campaign. I like NPC interaction. Why didn't the android ever message his federation during the scenario? He obviously could've contacted them at any time.

Storyline - Virtually none. I did not even know what the android/Federation were looking for on that planet. The "intelligent life" was simply
Spoiler:
Dialogue - Like I said, there was virtually none and I was hoping for more.

Gameplay - There was way (insanely) too much backtracking.
Spoiler:
The whole system was too predictable. There was ONLY ONE way to complete the scenario, even your moves were calculated. The maps were practical (you would get to each recharge station with the exact amount of health needed to survive), though.
Spoiler:
This was such a great idea and could be very good. It just needs some love :wink: The major showstopping problem is the keys. It is almost impossible to find them, you get no hints, and you don't know which key unlocks what.
Last edited by bigkahuna on February 14th, 2011, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
jdp

Post by jdp »

I read that the Haroks are difficult to damage, but for me they are impossible. It doesn't matter how many times I attack them, it doesn't damage them at all. It seems that I can't make any more progress until I get the upgrades that I presume are protected by the Haroks.

I expect I'm misunderstanding something. Does anybody have any hints as to what it might be?