Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by wayfarer »

So finished the animations. Quick and dirty.
So next on the plate is the Riders at least some placeholders until the new horses are ready and the hawk lvl 1 and two I've worked on him for while but nothing substantiel. than all up to lvl 2 will be finished.

So sorry for the delay. About the hair color. Nothing is final yet and it is rather trivial to change it back and forth. My intention for all the higher lvl units was that they look battle worn, in a portrait the would be scared with drawn faces.
With sprites it is a bit more difficult not much face to work with. White or gray hair has a kind of symbolism, something I wanted to try out.
I'll try and see how it works out when the whole stuff is cleaned up.

@Liryan
Well it is one unit that is rare enough so one unit as a whole can stand out a little bit. The lvl3's will be even more outstanding.
Attachments
Ls_1.zip
(98.33 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Maybe insert the hooded one as an idle animation, the normal one looks mush better in-game.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Yep, but that will come later.

Small touch up and rework of the eagle, Might need some further tweaks but overall this wil be the direction.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

wayfarer wrote:Yep, but that will come later.

Small touch up and rework of the eagle, Might need some further tweaks but overall this wil be the direction.
Actually, I think the lv.1 looks fine as it is now, but it might need another attack frame for the prey crush attack. Well, I'm not the one to judge. :mrgreen:
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

The eagle is looking nice :mrgreen:

Would you have the eagle like with the gryphon and stay as a standalone unit without rider? (in case someone decide that could be added to mainline along the other monsters creatures which is one of the things default can have more of)

Also it would be nice if at the end you can put a image with each upgraded unit and its old version down for comparisons (and see the effect better) :)

Cheers and happy week!
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well the old one wasn't bad at all but it had some perspective issues In my mind though the fact that it was based too much on the gryphoon. Plus something was lacking in my mind.

I think I'm almost there the riders will need some smaller changes and the older eagle will get some white feather peaks to get more volume. At teh moment he is still a bit small I think.

ImageImage
As wished in comparison the old one.

Well for the eagle stand alone if someone needs it the rider is in a separate layer. But for now I won't but much the efford into it.

-Ghost Fields
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

wayfarer wrote:Well the old one wasn't bad at all but it had some perspective issues In my mind though the fact that it was based too much on the gryphoon. Plus something was lacking in my mind.

I think I'm almost there the riders will need some smaller changes and the older eagle will get some white feather peaks to get more volume. At teh moment he is still a bit small I think.

ImageImage
As wished in comparison the old one.

Well for the eagle stand alone if someone needs it the rider is in a separate layer. But for now I won't but much the efford into it.
Remove the armour on the lv.1, IMO it should be something for the lv.2 only.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Th first line is the rider and the master, work yin progress as you might say. :P

On the other sinde can someone explain me what prey crush should mean?
The flying animation works well enough as a attack animation but at the moment I don't know what this stuff should display.

-Ghost Fields
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

wayfarer wrote:On the other sinde can someone explain me what prey crush should mean?
The flying animation works well enough as a attack animation but at the moment I don't know what this stuff should display.
Not really sure since I didn't "devised" the units, but counting that the creature looks akin to the famous Roc, I think it means that it "catch the prey(unit) go up high and then drop it so it smashes on the ground"

Basically, anything that can break the bones of the target unit (prey) and that include taking big rocks and dropping on the target (Not sure if the rocs could do that on simbad stories).

And that's all that could come to mind in a few minutes of thinking :whistle:
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Vendanna wrote:
wayfarer wrote:On the other sinde can someone explain me what prey crush should mean?
Not really sure since I didn't "devised" the units, but counting that the creature looks akin to the famous Roc, I think it means that it "catch the prey(unit) go up high and then drop it so it smashes on the ground"

Basically, anything that can break the bones of the target unit (prey) and that include taking big rocks and dropping on the target (Not sure if the rocs could do that on simbad stories).

And that's all that could come to mind in a few minutes of thinking :whistle:
Just make a frame with him holding a rock. That'll work just fine.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Prey Crush should be pretty simple - the eagle catches "prey" in its talons and squeezes the life out of them. Effectively crushed. By the way, Wayfarer, this line of units is by far my favorite for Wesnoth. I was pleased to see them go mainline in IFTU. The renovations look fantastic, you are very skillful.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

SouthernOracle wrote:I was pleased to see them go mainline in IFTU.
Aragwaith aren't mainline... neither is IftU.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Aragwaith aren't mainline... neither is IftU.
IIRC, IftU is on the Ipad/Iphone/one of those ported versions.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Imageand the master, and ye ahhair color is well ignore it for now until I finally make my mind out about it. :roll:
Image if no one speaks up I think I can animate this fellow as the advancement of the rider.

For now both just holds a rock in their claws for the prey crush.

@SouthernOracle a thanks but I still have a long way to go to touch all of them up before anything could be called ready. :P
Attachments
Rider.zip
(107.21 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

-Ghost Fields
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

wayfarer wrote:Imageand the master, and ye ahhair color is well ignore it for now until I finally make my mind out about it. :roll:
Image if no one speaks up I think I can animate this fellow as the advancement of the rider.

For now both just holds a rock in their claws for the prey crush.

@SouthernOracle a thanks but I still have a long way to go to touch all of them up before anything could be called ready. :P
Something seems off with the placement of the armour on the master, it doesn't look like it fits.