Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:What exactly are we seeing, then ? The portrait in the 1280x960 screen is clearly over 500 pix high. Is it shrinked so as to be 500 pix wide ?
Also, are zookeeper's screens a modified version of portrait displaying, or were they produced with the existing mecanism ?
They're screenshots of how the game works now (and how the new-style messagedialog presumably has always worked), and yes, I'm talking of the width. I really don't quite understand how the scaling is determined atm.
Tet

Post by Tet »

Yes, that definetely happens. I am using some 820x500 Portraits on my laptop widescreen. They do not match the pixel of my screen, but they are not distorted. the 500 seems to be the wide where the text is starting. I am usually strict on the lowest 200 pixel to stay out of more than 500 wide. Answer for pixels not matching screen resolution most welcome. I am not sure if shrinking is the right word.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Wow, the latest Rithandil looks truly wose-like! And the uncropped versions in zookeeper's quick tests look massive and great!
Only tiny comments; the part of the trunk behind his beard could use some darkening to differentiate the face and the rest of the trunk a little bit more. And the bird in the eyesocket just gets lost if he is scaled down only a bit. I would suggest to wether get rid of him or to make him a bit bigger and more easily recognizable as a bird by perhaps spreading out a wing or something like this.

Are you done with TRoW now? Congratulations, if so!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Here comes the final (for real this time) Rithrandil : automn version accounting for Kitty's comments and late-automn/early winter version.

It would wrap up tRoW had I not decided to give king Eldaric some surgery : there are a number of small details that really make him stand out quite poorly against the rest of the cast.
Soon to come !
Attachments
tRoW-rithrandil.png
tRoW-rithrandil_2.png
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I know you said 'final', but (although I am not an artist) I have a couple comments.

His eye and his pose never change between portraits. I would think even a wose would stretch out or shift his arms every few months or so, and maybe during the winter his eye(s) would droop...? Otherwise amazing portrait! I've enjoyed looking at the progression of portraits you've made :)
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

What's the blue stuff on winter Rithrandil's right arm?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

So, all of these look fantastic. Priest Edmond doesn't look quite the way I pictured him, but I feel that may be a personal preference so I won't complain.

It's Lady Jessica that's giving me a bad impression. I know the current art is, well, not good. It's certainly rough and simple, but she had a very good charm in that one. Maybe it's the poofy poodle-hair but I didn't like the new look. Doubt it will get changed this late in the design but whatever.

Everything else looks fantastic, especially the Lich Lord and the Wose.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Reepurr : the blueish stuff is meant as lichen, and a trick to add a touch of colour to an otherwise dull picture.

Please note that the second Rithrandil portrait is a bonus one. It doesn't say anywhere we actually need it and it'd be a lot of work to actually produce a different pose. Besides, similarities that may be obvious now won't be such a bother ingame, since the player never sees the two portraits together.

Arawn : since you're the first person to express such a concern...Well, you guessed right. I have to admit though, there is a certain appeal to comic-style characters since they can be made a lot more expressive. But a hair-cut or revamp definitely isn't anywhere on my schedule.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Great! I'll commit Rithrandil as soon as I've looked into the message dialog WML a bit... :hmm: After some recent changes to the resizing formula I'm now getting a crash when attempting to use the full-sized portrait, but if I don't manage to solve that before the next release then I'll just use a scaled-down version until we get it sorted out.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

And here comes the revised Eldaric. Which, I am extremely pleased to announce, concludes the portrait series for tRoW ! :!: 8)

I will come back to tRoW eventually, because it's in dire need for story art now. But before this can happen, other campaigns demand their portraits, too.
Attachments
tRoW-eldaric.png
tRoW-eldaric.png (159.85 KiB) Viewed 5390 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Committed. However, for the 1.9.3 release, I had to scale Rithrandil down to 500x727 because apparently something in a recent change which improved the portrait scaling also made the full-sized portrait crash the game. It still looks really good, though. :o

This is definitely the biggest and IMO also the prettiest portrait series so far. :shock:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

:hmm: Too bad. Meh, I guess the sheer size of the file was pushing things a little far :whistle:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I could have sworn I committed Eldaric at the same time as Rithrandil, but it seems I didn't. :doh: So, in case you're wondering, that's why it's not in 1.9.3.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Way too few congratulations on the completion of this awesome series! Congartz! So much beautiful work! :D
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

It is quite amazing. Awesome job! :D