Some Question

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mistzone
Translator

Some Question

Post by mistzone »

it is a question for Korean translation.

1. i have a difficult to translate 'my lord'. i guess this means title of honor, but its meaning differs for situations.

well, in Heir to the Throne, Kalenz says 'my lord' to Konrad, but i think he is not Konrad's inferior because he is much more aged and he is a lord of Northern elves himself.

and in An Orcish Incursion, other elves call Erlornas 'my lord', and he is really Elvish Lord. and descendant of loyal blood of elves.

i don't know how can i tell these situations and translate.

2. what is origin of the name 'wose'? i guess this name is just transformation of 'wood', but i don't know.

i have translated this to '엔트(Ent)'. but i want to find a word to replace it. For example, '나모' ('나무(wood)' 's transformation)

3. what is difference of lightning and lightning bolt? ...

i don't think there's gap between them, but i feel some pressure that i have to translate them different :)
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: Some Question

Post by Astoria »

mistzone wrote:it is a question for Korean translation.

1. i have a difficult to translate 'my lord'. i guess this means title of honor, but its meaning differs for situations.

well, in Heir to the Throne, Kalenz says 'my lord' to Konrad, but i think he is not Konrad's inferior because he is much more aged and he is a lord of Northern elves himself.

and in An Orcish Incursion, other elves call Erlornas 'my lord', and he is really Elvish Lord. and descendant of loyal blood of elves.

It means the same in both situations. It is usual to adress somebody to his title e.g. calling your doctor "doctor". Others are Sir, Lord, King etc. Lord is Konrad's title.
2. what is origin of the name 'wose'? i guess this name is just transformation of 'wood', but i don't know.

i have translated this to '엔트(Ent)'. but i want to find a word to replace it. For example, '나모' ('나무(wood)' 's transformation)
Woodlanders? Be creative.
3. what is difference of lightning and lightning bolt? ...

i don't think there's gap between them, but i feel some pressure that i have to translate them different :)
There is a difference. Lightning has a general meaning while a lightning bolt (notice the article) is a lot more specific.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

LightFighter wrote:
mistzone wrote: 2. what is origin of the name 'wose'? i guess this name is just transformation of 'wood', but i don't know.

Woodlanders? Be creative.
:hmm: Hmm, I'd suggest you to keep the "ent" translation.
Wikipedia wrote:Ents are a fictional race of beings who closely resemble trees from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy world of Middle-earth. They appear to have been inspired by the talking trees of many of the world's folklores.[citation needed]
If you dont like it, may I suggest something like "forest genie", "forest guardian"....
I myself translated "Wose" into "Thần rừng", which means similar to "forest genie".
R.I.P
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

hhyloc wrote:
LightFighter wrote: Woodlanders? Be creative.
:hmm: Hmm, I'd suggest you to keep the "ent" translation.
Wikipedia wrote:Ents are a fictional race of beings who closely resemble trees from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy world of Middle-earth. They appear to have been inspired by the talking trees of many of the world's folklores.[citation needed]
If you dont like it, may I suggest something like "forest genie", "forest guardian"....
I myself translated "Wose" into "Thần rừng", which means similar to "forest genie".
In dutch it is also "Ent", but it's just because of gameplay reasons.
Compare: I'm attacking with my ent. To: I'm attacking with my forest's transformation.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

LightFighter wrote:In dutch it is also "Ent", but it's just because of gameplay reasons.
Compare: I'm attacking with my ent. To: I'm attacking with my forest's transformation.
Huh? What gameplay reasons? I don't really get it. :?
R.I.P
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

hhyloc wrote:
LightFighter wrote:In dutch it is also "Ent", but it's just because of gameplay reasons.
Huh? What gameplay reasons? I don't really get it. :?
It has to be catchy, and not extremely long.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Yeah...I didn't realise that.
R.I.P
mistzone
Translator

Post by mistzone »

LightFighter wrote:
hhyloc wrote: Huh? What gameplay reasons? I don't really get it. :?
It has to be catchy, and not extremely long.
there's no gameplay reasons between 엔트(ent) and 나모(wo??) because their number of character is same (2 character) :)

i'll think about this more later. thanks :)

LightFighter wrote:
mistzone wrote:it is a question for Korean translation.

It means the same in both situations. It is usual to adress somebody to his title e.g. calling your doctor "doctor". Others are Sir, Lord, King etc. Lord is Konrad's title.
it sounds strange to me :( i understand this thanks to your example "doctor", but i don't know still how to translate this because i can't find correct word to match it.

In japanese translation it is "閣下(각하)" but it is weird somehow.

but i'll keep trying to find word. thanks to your reply :)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

mistzone wrote:
LightFighter wrote: It means the same in both situations. It is usual to adress somebody to his title e.g. calling your doctor "doctor". Others are Sir, Lord, King etc. Lord is Konrad's title.
it sounds strange to me :( i understand this thanks to your example "doctor", but i don't know still how to translate this because i can't find correct word to match it.

In japanese translation it is "閣下(각하)" but it is weird somehow.

but i'll keep trying to find word. thanks to your reply :)
In English, if someone needs to be addressed formally, the title used does not depend on the rank of the speaker. If this is not the case in Korean, then you can probably translate the two uses above differently. Consider Kalenz to Konrad to be like communication between two nobles of different countries.
Erlornas is of course actually a lord of the elves addressing him.

This is of course my opinion and may be overruled by the people in charge of prose (most notably esr).
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

In English, the general rule for addressing nobles of any rank is to call them by their full title when you first address them, and thereafter by a shorter form wherever the longer form is too unwieldy. This rule applies whether your own rank is lower or higher, and also whether or not you are a 'subject' of the noble in question.

So, for a king or queen, 'Your Majesty', and thereafter 'Sir' (or if the king is /your/ king, 'Sire') and 'Ma'am'.
For Princes and Princesses, 'Your [Royal] Highness', thereafter 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'.
For all ranks of noble from Baron to Marquis, 'my Lord' or 'my Lady'
For Dukes and Duchesses (the highest rank of noble, use 'your Grace'.

It's useful to realise that 'lord' is also a generic term; Barons, Earls, Marquises, Dukes etc. are all lords.

So most nobles end up being called 'my Lord' or 'my Lady' regardless of their actual rank, while Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses get 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'.

Dugucloud

Post by Dugucloud »

I remembered that I used to translate 'My Lord' to '殿下'. But this is not as general as other words.
'Wose' we translate it into '树精', which probably means spirits(?) of trees (or woods).
Mi povas paroli Esperanton.