Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Regarding the 500x500 portrait limit, IMO it would be better to discuss in
another topic so I started a new thread here [1].

[1] http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 88#p463888
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

wow i love that Rithrandil sketch. i am curious about 2 things:
1. do woses have only 2 arms (perhaps because related to elves)? (not implying any desire to change the sketch)
2. could the rough sketches be used in campaigns where for example the player has not yet encountered a character but is just hearing rumours about them (and thus would be checked into the archive of available art)? i think it might enhance mystery in some storylines.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

The idea of rough sketching some characters for campaigns would be easy enough to put in practice, art-wise. All we have to agree about is a background for said sketches (guess it would likely be displayed on a scrap of parchment, or perhaps a tablet of stone for trolls :mrgreen:

I have more Rithrandil Sketches planned,but soon enough we'll be able to poll and determine which one becomes final.

Regarding Jevyan (Re: StDrake), it's been discussed in this very thread that he's more the angry overconfident brute type of lich (those are zookeeper's words), so in that respect I'd say the portrait fits quite well.
Besides, I offered if need be to produce a more calm portrait of him, in which the sinister side could be further developped, but such a need hasn't been confirmed yet.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

need is often made by greed - show them a proposal for that sinister side and see if they start drooling 'me wants that' when they see it :)

speaking of which that part of Jevyan on the campaign pic looks sinister enough, maybe it's just a matter of head angle?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

tr0ll wrote:wow i love that Rithrandil sketch. i am curious about 2 things:
1. do woses have only 2 arms (perhaps because related to elves)? (not implying any desire to change the sketch)
They have a variable number of arms. The sprites only have two, for ease of viewing, but the portraits can have as many and in as variable a configuration as the artist desires.
2. could the rough sketches be used in campaigns where for example the player has not yet encountered a character but is just hearing rumours about them (and thus would be checked into the archive of available art)? i think it might enhance mystery in some storylines.
There wouldn't be a lot of point, since characters the PCs haven't met yet don't get any dialogue, and therefore don't have any portraits shown.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Joram

Post by Joram »

It could be a background image during the "story" part between scenarios.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Seeing as there's way more space for the story pics, they allow more art and less 'realism', and they'd require tons more work to have the same style and class as portraits - yep, that's quite a good idea to stuff sketchworks there.
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Each thing in due time. Even sketchy story art demands that standards be defined in both quality and style : precisely because we've dedidated a ton of work to portraits means we cannot content ourselves with an odd lot of crappy rushed story screens. So while "stuffing sketchwork" is out of the question, having story screens that allow "more art" will definitely be considered :wink:

Anyway, finished Dionli's shading *. Will get to Jevyan's now.

* Except maybe the magical effects, by which I'm not really convinced :hmm:
Maybe just leaves and no fireworks will work better
Attachments
tRoW-dionli.png
tRoW-dionli.png (206.21 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

LordBob wrote: * Except maybe the magical effects, by which I'm not really convinced :hmm:
Maybe just leaves and no fireworks will work better
Or perhaps less firework and more firefly?

It's a beautiful portrait.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Hey, nice portrait, the one about Dionli, that's it.

At first glance, it seems something looks off with her face, more especifically with the area of her left eye.

I'm not sure what gives me that impression, but looking closer the reason could be that her left pupil is ¿a bit bigger? than her right one.

I also suppose that her left eyebrown placement is intended that way.

The tunic/fabric/vest looks wondeful.

And lastly, about the fireworks on her hand, the problem I'm seeing is that those leaves doesn't give the impression of being pushed by the magic. They look like "hanging" in there as if pasted on the real image. Its a weird impression.

I would suggest to place them more like if they where being sucked upwards in a cone shape whirlwind? \/ or /\. At the moment its looking like in a weird shaped >< (but upwards) that or entirely removing the lightning fireworks, because the lines are affecting how we imagine the movement (and it isn't a spiral movement that surges from the hand)

Well, that's my view on the subject. As always I defer to those that are more experienced than me.

Did I say yet that I like the texture you used on the wings?
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Indeed a beautiful portrait..but sure an ugly elf. I don't remember the story anymore, is there any reason why she should look like she had the female version of Adolf Hitler's face with the lips of Angelina Jolie?

Meanwhile I hope i'm in time with this before Jevyan gets ready - his current expression vs..well..let this inspire you ;)
Attachments
nightmare cat.png
nightmare cat.png (36.07 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

In contrast, is there any reason why every single elf should be the perfect model human? Ugliness is relative and there's not really any reason for all elves to be perfectly beautiful.
Joram

Post by Joram »

I don't think she's ugly, I think she just has a rather severe expression.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

I like Dionli's portrait. The middle part of her tunic (above the belt, below her boobs) looks a little flat to me, though... I feel like the shading in the folds could be somewhat darker.

Oh, and I think her face is good, for what that's worth. There's no rule that says elves can't be frowny or have look like airbrushed fashion models. Go back a couple of pages and look at Aryad and Isothimir, or Logalmier. They're not exactly all smiles; nor do they look like they've wandered off the cover of GQ. And reading the discussion, Dionli's expression is supposed to be severe and authoritative, because that's how the character is.
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

It seems to me that her left pupil is bigger than the other one