TAM artwork

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: TAM artwork

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

The shading looks great and I like how you have roughed them up a bit. The beards could probably do with being less well maintained, though. Also, Largo's right arm seems very short. I guess we could write it into the story :), but you might want to tinker with the elbow bend.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Yo,

I give some time for the portraits to settle down. I will take what you said about beards into consideration Bob, though I think right arm of Largo is ok taking into account the foreshortening.

Also I have the flats for Marko, the eldest brother. I suspect forms to be better defined while shading.
Attachments
marko.png
marko.png (57.47 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
comics, comics
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

His left (our right) forearm is very thin and long. :hmm:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
SFault

Post by SFault »

I think the upper arm is too short. His shoulder is down, but the elbow is still quite high compared to the hip (assuming that the hip is bit above the belt).
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

And his head is way too big :P

You already know it but I thought I might mention it again: I love your costume designs - his pouch is awesome!
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Ahem.. very much so! I should stop using myself as a model :P

I beefed up the arms a bit, streched the upper left arm, as well as some other tweaks. I think head size is ok though - I was thinking his head to be stooped over his shoulders. Anyways it's open to further C&C. I'll finalize it later once I get go from either Bob or jw.
Attachments
marko.png
marko.png (104.79 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
comics, comics
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Great work, as always Bear.

The Demo is on the Add On server. It doesn't feature any of the custom art yet (to keep it MP safe), but finally you can put a name to the face, so to speak.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Hey jb,

Thanks, but I think I'll redo Marko later on. However I'm contend to call Largo&Hugo portraits finished contrary to what I said earlier as fixing them further on Bob's comments.

I found some time working on two new portraits by the way, the ogres our heroes team up with. The jailor ogre and the one that gets prisoned, I am sorry but I can't recall their names :doh: (and it's somewhat impossible for me to check).

I am aware of the descriptions of ogres ingame, and they are humanoids with deformed features. Well, I suppose I didn't want to go to an extreme deformation and was happy to give them some sort of mongoloid facial features and large hands. Actually my impression of an ogre is something like Lennie Small of the '81 adapdation of the Mice and Men. As I post these I must admit. I am quite fond of the second portrait, but a bit troubled for the first one, so may as well redo him - though please let me know if my impression on ogres would be acceptable or not.
Attachments
ogre1.png
ogre1.png (49.66 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
ogre2.png
ogre2.png (63.62 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
comics, comics
johndh

Post by johndh »

I don't mean this in an offensive way, but have you looked at the current ogre portrait and sprite? The ears and jaw are way different.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Indeed your concept of ogres is..well..too human
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Sure thing, I agree. I did some reading on ogres this time (and looked at the mainline portrait+sprite!) and.. did some revision:

So this will be mister captive ogre. I may have got carried away on the rope, probably I'll get it down nerfed to something more realistic. I also added the protruding tooth while doing the linework without much thought - I may need to place them more carefully. I suppose many of you will immediately notice enormity of his head as in comparision to the mainline portrait. Well, this was somewhat deliberate on my end.. Let's say it's a personal preference. Oh I was also thinking to add some thick hair on his shoulder (something like a natural cape) and some wispy patches of hair on his otherwise perfectly bald head, and very likely I will.

Looking at him makes me smile, I hope you'll share my sentiment, if not, try to visualise him as posing for a shopping catalogue of any major brand for their winter collection! :P
Attachments
ogre3.png
ogre3.png (112.6 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
comics, comics
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

He's adorable. :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

He looks great, much more ogrey. My only concern is the clothing doesn't match the ogre sprites, but then why must all ogres wear stripey trousers? (I guess the other one could be bare-chested, though.) As it stands the ogres only have speaking parts in the first scenario - but it is very probably this chap's cuteness will earn him some more lines.
My current projects:
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

haha indeed! :P

here is the shaded version then which I'll call finished so as to proceed with the prison warden.
Attachments
ogre3b.png
ogre3b.png (201.35 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
comics, comics
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

That is nice, bera. I like his sense of resignation. Just for the record his name is Ordon. The other one is called Mocco. Mocco is only a jailer at the very start, so don't make too much of that (I noticed there is a bunch of keys on the first sketch).
My current projects: