1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mich
Translator

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess

Post by mich »

I can assure you that at least at the easy and medium levels it's doable. Remember that after defeating the first leader (in the lower right corner of the map) you can use his keep to recall your units. So try to reach and kill him quickly. After that you can use all your gold to recall/recruit units. This is the last scenario, it's not easy, but possible. If you are playing at the Hard level please attach a save so we can test the scenario better.

Maybe after defeating the first leader we must add some text lines saying that it's possible to recall/recruit units.
Thanks for playing, and let us know if you manage to complete the scenario.
schlappe89

Post by schlappe89 »

Hi,

I'm playing this campaign and I'm stuck at some crazy scenario.
I am supposed to attack Gulder with Ameck , however it is not possible because there is deep water in between.
Any hints?

€dit: figured it out xD ... omg so easy ^^
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,

A new version, 0.8.3, is on the server now. We skipped version 0.8.0-0.8.2 because we used them on the progress. We are going to develop the campaign based on this edition. On this edition, the first twelve scenarios are Part One and the remaining seventeen scenarios are Part Two.

Many changes are included on it. The biggest one is that four more scenarios have been added on the Part One after Capturing Dorest scenario to fill up the transition, that has been reported by some precious players, and to make the story clearer. Making them just from the dialogues to a game, the storyline has been touched up slightly on it. The Part One leader, Baldres, is not killed by Elen-Garil anymore, and some characters, who had never shown in the game, such as Gulcyn the Wizard, High Lord Elvanadíon, and Elen-Garil, appear in the game now.

What different are:
Spoiler:
Because of many changes, feedbacks will be great appreciation for us at this moment again, especially the new scenarios that we have to work on in the future more than the others.

Thanks.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Hello there!
@Skyone: are you considering porting FoaP to 1.9? I really want to play it, and that's the version of Wesnoth I currently have.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ciao SkyOne, and compliments for the new release (that I installed, of course! :D )
I just ran wmllint and wmlscope for you, so you can see what needs fixing; the zip below contains their reports. If you have any question about these, please post or PM me. :)
Attachments
FoaP.txt.zip
(9.76 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

sur.nhm wrote:Hello there!
@Skyone: are you considering porting FoaP to 1.9? I really want to play it, and that's the version of Wesnoth I currently have.
Sure, I will when the 1.10 port is opened. Maybe, it's going to be on next March or April? (Basically, I will keep it up until I retire from Wesnoth.) Until then, I will slowly update the maps for 1.9/1.10 with thinking how I use the railroad terrains.:smile: So you need to download 1.8.5 to play FoaP currently. I will actually appreciate if you give us some comments regarding to the new edition because you know this campaign well. I touched the game balance slightly on the Part Two, so you can carryover more golds on it if you play well.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Ciao SkyOne, and compliments for the new release (that I installed, of course! :D )
I just ran wmllint and wmlscope for you, so you can see what needs fixing; the zip below contains their reports. If you have any question about these, please post or PM me. :)
Grazie, Elvish_Hunter.:smile:
I think that speeches of dying units in die events is okay. I actually prefer a die event more than a last breath event in most of cases as long as the image shows on the speech. It makes players more impress to defeat the enemy. It was a lot on A Rough Life, wasn't it?

But I did not get something like those:

Code: Select all

22b_At_Prestim.cfg", line 37: [side] without type attribute
"/home/linux/.wesnoth1.8/data/add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/scenarios/

and 

19_Eisheim.cfg", line 161: unknown 'Turuk' referred to by id
"/home/linux/.wesnoth1.8/data/add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/scenarios/
Could you tell me those are big problems? They don't disturb the game to play.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:I think that speeches of dying units in die events is okay. I actually prefer a die event more than a last breath event in most of cases as long as the image shows on the speech. It makes players more impress to defeat the enemy. It was a lot on A Rough Life, wasn't it?
I don't remember; but, if was, then I corrected all of them, because my output is clean. :)
SkyOne wrote:22b_At_Prestim.cfg", line 37: [side] without type attribute
This happened me a lot in TSoG: means that you have a [side] tag that doesn't either have no_leader=yes or type= keys. It happened me because type= was included in Grog's creating macro, so I had to remove it from here and place type= in every side tag. Having a clean output makes your life a lot easier when updating a campaign.
SkyOne wrote:19_Eisheim.cfg", line 161: unknown 'Turuk' referred to by id
This happens because a unit is created using a macro. Wmllint doesn't include a WML preprocessor, and doesn't perform a macro expansion. To fix this, you can add, at your choice at the start of the scenario file, or immediatly before such macro, this magic comment:

# wmllint: recognize Turuk
(replace Turuk with every other unknown unit ID), that in fact tells wmllint "it's OK, I know that I created this unit, so go ahead". :)
I hope that I was clear enough; if not, just ask.
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

SkyOne wrote:
sur.nhm wrote:Hello there!
Sure, I will when the 1.10 port is opened. Maybe, it's going to be on next March or April? (Basically, I will keep it up until I retire from Wesnoth.) Until then, I will slowly update the maps for 1.9/1.10 with thinking how I use the railroad terrains.:smile: So you need to download 1.8.5 to play FoaP currently. I will actually appreciate if you give us some comments regarding to the new edition because you know this campaign well. I touched the game balance slightly on the Part Two, so you can carryover more golds on it if you play well.
[...]
I'd very much like to, but it's problematic, because I use Linux (Xubuntu 10.10, to be precise), and I compile Wesnoth from source, which means I can only have one version of Wesnoth installed, and that's 1.9.2. Sorry.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:This happened me a lot in TSoG: means that you have a [side] tag that doesn't either have no_leader=yes or type= keys. It happened me because type= was included in Grog's creating macro, so I had to remove it from here and place type= in every side tag. Having a clean output makes your life a lot easier when updating a campaign.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:This happens because a unit is created using a macro. Wmllint doesn't include a WML preprocessor, and doesn't perform a macro expansion. To fix this, you can add, at your choice at the start of the scenario file, or immediatly before such macro, this magic comment:

# wmllint: recognize Turuk
(replace Turuk with every other unknown unit ID), that in fact tells wmllint "it's OK, I know that I created this unit, so go ahead".
I hope that I was clear enough; if not, just ask.
Thanks again, Elvish_Hunter.
I got what you mean. I wish I could update my life, too, seriously. :) My life is like Princess Alingwen/Ameck's. (of course, I am not a friend of any Dragons, though.)
sur.nhm wrote:I'd very much like to, but it's problematic, because I use Linux (Xubuntu 10.10, to be precise), and I compile Wesnoth from source, which means I can only have one version of Wesnoth installed, and that's 1.9.2. Sorry.
Not a problem at all. :) You have been so helpful already. I might PM you if I update the campaign for 1.9/1.10.
charris

Post by charris »

sur.nhm wrote:
SkyOne wrote: Sure, I will when the 1.10 port is opened. Maybe, it's going to be on next March or April? (Basically, I will keep it up until I retire from Wesnoth.) Until then, I will slowly update the maps for 1.9/1.10 with thinking how I use the railroad terrains.:smile: So you need to download 1.8.5 to play FoaP currently. I will actually appreciate if you give us some comments regarding to the new edition because you know this campaign well. I touched the game balance slightly on the Part Two, so you can carryover more golds on it if you play well.
[...]
I'd very much like to, but it's problematic, because I use Linux (Xubuntu 10.10, to be precise), and I compile Wesnoth from source, which means I can only have one version of Wesnoth installed, and that's 1.9.2. Sorry.
I run several self compiled versions of Wesnoth on Ubuntu (and Fedora), you just need to set up the proper suffixes so they don't get mixed up together. For scons that would be version_suffix=1.9.3, while for cmake, which I need to use these days, run ccmake . and edit BINARY_SUFFIX and DATADIRNAME directory. Like so:

BINARY_PREFIX
BINARY_SUFFIX 1.9.3
BINDIR bin
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /usr/local
DATADIRNAME wesnoth1.9.3
DATAROOTDIR /usr/local/share
DESKTOPDIR /usr/local/share/applications/
DOCDIR /usr/local/share/doc/wesnoth

Note that cmake puts the .wesnoth file in .local/share/wesnoth/1.9
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:I got what you mean. I wish I could update my life, too, seriously. :) My life is like Princess Alingwen/Ameck's. (of course, I am not a friend of any Dragons, though.)
Hmm, wmllint cannot update your life :P But I noticed a thing.
You have an alternate advancement for the Cavalryman, that is the Horse Archer / Sniper. You implemented it with a macro that is ran on every scenario (FOAP_ADVANCEMENT_CAVALRYMAN). There is a better way to do this: [advancefrom].
So, basically you'll need to open your Horse_Archer.cfg (but it may be better to rename such file, considering that on the 1.9 series there is one also in LoW) and add these lines (untested, but it should work):

[advancefrom]
    unit=Cavalryman
[/advancefrom]
This will allow you to get rid of that macro, and you'll have the same result in a more clean way. In TSoG, I enabled the advancements Troll Rocklobber -> Boulderlobber, Ogre -> Great Ogre and (on 1.9 only) Silver Mage -> Gold Mage exactly in this way. :)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you so much, Elvish_Hunter.:smile:
The bugs you post and PM have been fixed, except the code for wmllint and wmlscope. I will fix them on the next edition. Editing the PO files ASAP will be needed for the next edition, anyway.

A new version, 0.8.4, is on the server.
Basically, this is a bug fixed version of Version 0.8.3, except removing Dwarvish Gunfighter unit, because of unnecessaries. But the level=2 unit has been added for Turuk unit. So he starts as level=2 Warden, then advances to level=3 Governor on this edition. (the unit name is possible to be changed.)
Some images, maps and scenarios also have been improved on this edition, including the dialogues.
-------------------------------

EDIT: on Feb, 14
Version 0.8.5 is on the server.
Hungarian and Japanese translation has been updated, and a few files have been improved.

EDIT: on Mar, 10
Version 0.8.6 is on the server.
-touching up scenario 16, Drake Lord, and scenario 25, Fate of a Princess, from the feedback by Akkarin345 on Add-on Feedback Forum
-improving attack animations slightly on Drake Sword/Swordmaster
-replacing the die event to the last breath event on the most of side=1 units
-fixing GOLD for the Troll leader on scenario 18, Hydra Cavern (the GOLD was not correct on version 0.8.5)

EDIT on Apr, 22
Version 0.8.7 is on the server.
-touching up just maps; scenario 6 and 8
-touching up scenarios; scenario 3, 5b (only ai), 24, and slightly 25
-updating slight touched JA-translation
-removing cannon unit's SPECIAL_NOTE description of WEAPON_SPECIAL first strike from the default
-updating slight touched BG-map
--------------------------------

EDIT on July, 18
Now, the work of converting to 1.9/1.10 is on the progress.
I will tell here when it is ready.
--------------------------------

EDIT on Aug, 7
Version 0.8.8 is on the 1.8 server.
The most of changes on this edition is to update some of custom units, including adding female units for level=0 units of part-two.
Touching up some scenarios and maps is also included.

Thanks.
perseo

Post by perseo »

I've played all the campaign (it took me one month and a half, I'm a very relaxed player) in medium difficulty and I've enjoyed a lot, IMHO it has a powerfull storyline, nice custom units and a little of roleplay. I LOVED the abilitie of Ameck (or whatever her name is) but I think you can say somewhere that in 4 (or 5) turns the unit return to normal behaviour. Only I had 2 problems in all the campaign:
scenario 3: The one of the elves and the dwarves, I played it three times, first time I run across the swamp near the dwarves and they destroyed me. Second time I forgot putting at least two units in the bridge for covering my back coz I though (i dunno why) that the dwarves and the elves were going to fight each other.
Last scenario: I din't expected the end. It's kinda tomato surprise... lot of draugths. If you don't expect it it can be quite tricky
¡Salud!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

perseo wrote:I've played all the campaign (it took me one month and a half, I'm a very relaxed player) in medium difficulty and I've enjoyed a lot, IMHO it has a powerfull storyline, nice custom units and a little of roleplay.
First of all, I really appreciate that you did not stop playing this campaign in a month and half and played through the end. Also, to revive this thread. Thank you so much, perseo.:)
I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed. (I think that) mich and Simons Mith are also happy to hear it.:)
perseo wrote:I LOVED the abilitie of Ameck (or whatever her name is) but I think you can say somewhere that in 4 (or 5) turns the unit return to normal behaviour.
Oh, that is right. We really should add it.
We changed it later because if the enemy leader becomes a stone, the game does not recognize he is defeated. So the scenario has never ended in the case. After the change, I did not add any comments. I will take a look and add the comment somewhere. Maybe, adding it at the beginning of the 20th scenario, Ice Monster, is a good place, isn't it?
Thank you for the notice.:)
perseo wrote:scenario 3: The one of the elves and the dwarves, I played it three times, first time I run across the swamp near the dwarves and they destroyed me. Second time I forgot putting at least two units in the bridge for covering my back coz I though (i dunno why) that the dwarves and the elves were going to fight each other.
Actually, we have gotten some feedbacks regarding to the difficulty on this scenario (and the 2nd one). So I have touched up on those two scenarios on the next version for BfW 1.9/10. On this scenario, I delayed dwarves one turn to show up. I will probably update with it, first, because I just finish balancing this scenario in a few days ago by play-testings. The reason why the dwarves don't fight with the elves is that Baldres and his followers have strange weapons that makes the other creatures unhappy.

But yes, you are not the first person who mentioned why they don't fight with the elves. Let me see... I will probably test the case in the future. If it works well, I will change the team_name. The [ai] in the [side] works really well on recent BfW 1.9.x, so I might be able to find a good point on it.
perseo wrote:Last scenario: I din't expected the end. It's kinda tomato surprise... lot of draugths. If you don't expect it it can be quite tricky
Yes, I know what you mean. It suddenly finish, then goes to the epilogue... I have to think about it. The ending was a kind of the first things I decided to do, so it's been a while. Maybe, it is the time to update...

Muchísimas Gracias, perseo.:)

Anyway, 1.9.12 has just been released. The bug is fixed on it. So this campaign will be updated on the 1.9/10 server (hopefully) on coming Sunday!
perseo

Post by perseo »

Okay, you were so kind with my critics and I can't resist to do a proper comentary of the campaign. One thing: Where is the branch? Maybe I jump over it without taking care but i don't really know. You also have to be more careful with die and last breath events, sometimes you use die event and the character say something and it looks kinda strange (he isn't here now. is he?). other thing you can change is in the scenario 20 with the icy monsters, it sound somekind gruf when after killing all the yetis (ye, I wanted MORE and MORE xp) ameck says "I hope they can rest now" or something like that. Maybe you can prevent this case with a [if] or something like that.
The lat scenario maybe can be 2 scenarios. I don't know, the first of them for finding your way through the mace and the second a battle with some history. I though gunder was also a semi-elf or I got lost through the dialog?
I'm waiting for it on the 1.9 server coz even when I won't replay in a time (it's really long :D ) I wanted one friend to play it.
¡Hope I can be helpful!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower