Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nimbilus

Re: Wesband 0.4.4, now with 4 players

Post by nimbilus »

It generated a lot of info so I just sent it to you as a pm.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

As far as I can tell from the stderr.txt, the source of the problem isn't Wesband. The last entries in your stderr.txt are complaining about "Dw" being an illegal map character, but that isn't a terrain used in Wesband. Try this: temporarily move your other add-ons out of the add-ons folder so that the game can't detect them, and see if the problem persists.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

What exasperation said is a very reliable way to solve problems with add-ons. However, make sure your friends do the same thing, or else it may not help!

If you ever have trouble with add-ons in the future, remember this method of moving them out of the add-ons folder, because it is a quick and easy way to pinpoint the error's source (assuming it IS the add-on, of course).
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
nimbilus

Post by nimbilus »

I removed the stuff from my addons folder and it worked, thanks.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before because I didn't read the whole forum, but the henchmen are a bit screwed up: you can't make them give up weapons (I had a lvl 3 that only did 6-4 damage) to use their original attack again, and when they die or when you dismiss them they revive in the next scenario, the same level they were when they were purchased. If you dismiss them and buy a new henchman, they come back instead of the new henchman.

Elemental summons are also wierd: they lose 2xp per turn until they die. If this is intentional, it should probably be mentioned somewhere in the help part.

Also, resting doesn't heal poison.

Edit: I think I can safely say that I won wesband: from here I can delve no deeper into the mine. (this is at floor 30).
Attachments
between a rock and a hard place...
between a rock and a hard place...
IPS

Post by IPS »

Funny, you are trapped and can't continue you wesband.

It really need to fix this bug or some persons will anoy of the game :whistle:

And ... how many dungeons are?
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

In the latest version, doesn't the layout change if you go up and back down?
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

wesfreak wrote:I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before because I didn't read the whole forum, but the henchmen are a bit screwed up: you can't make them give up weapons (I had a lvl 3 that only did 6-4 damage) to use their original attack again
Yeah, Exasperation came up with a great way to manage henches and we've left the (not so) intelligent handling of weapons to the AI sides: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 15#p443215. It'll be in the next version.
wesfreak wrote:Elemental summons are also wierd: they lose 2xp per turn until they die. If this is intentional, it should probably be mentioned somewhere in the help part.
Yeah, that kind of documentation just isn't there, as the magic system is getting changed a bunch right now. That's intentional, though.
wesfreak wrote:I think I can safely say that I won wesband: from here I can delve no deeper into the mine. (this is at floor 30).
Haha, that's interesting. I think Exasperation might have taken care of that, though I'll make sure. You might have the record for how deep anyone has gone and posted. I'm wondering if about then we should make an end-game (perhaps with an option to infinitely go deeper into the dungeon after you're done that).
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

I beat the dungeon, thanks to a bug: when I reloaded the game there was a copy of my henchman right next to the exit. I used him to clear the dungeon and then went down with my leader. Replay attached.

As for how to end it: What if you had a few different boss fights? where the boss was a higher than normal level (at dungeon 30 I'm lvl 7 and my minion is level 9, and this is after he died alot. (also, minion xp doesn't go up when he amla's, so he levels up really easily)) (so maybe level 6 or 7?) and maybe could recruit normal lvl 3's. So there could be an outlaw boss, the head of all the main outlaws in the region, a saurian boss, the head of the saurian tribe in that dungeon, a dark elf boss and a lich boss.
Attachments
's_a_miracle!.gz
(216.59 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
purei

Some Issues with Henchmen and other bits

Post by purei »

Henchmen: i went white mage, and at level .. 7,8,9? .. the damage wrapped around (went from 20-6 or something to 11-1 or something) on its magic attacks. Also the mage of light's attacks were the same type as the necros from the default wesnoth.

The spearman->halberdier henchman is off the charts. my friend's halberdier didn't wrap around, but it did [around level 7,8,9] gain shadow wave and chill. maybe my mage's damage wrapped to the halberdier's memory location?

Main Player: Another game playthrough I noticed the dwarf spear stalwart-type decide that a rusty spear was, adjusted ,way better than a 'spear' or a 'pike'. 7-3 vs 5-3 or 5-2 (or something).

Miscellaneous: I'm impatiently waiting for more updates. I've kinda succeeded in getting a few people interested, and might be able to get more if the game was a bit deeper. This Wesband engine is amazing, by the way; I miss Angband and always wished for a multiplayer version.

Only other thing I wish were possible, would be to manage my inventory/character sheet/whatever when it's not my turn. the 'you can do nothing' can wear thin.

I don't think bosses will work unless the AI of his minions is a bit smarter. A mid level can already (with lucky rolls) do enough to kill most characters. Boss characters basically throw you at the mercy of the random number generator. Fighting a group of people is where the challenge lies?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Some Issues with Henchmen and other bits

Post by Ken_Oh »

purei wrote:Henchmen: i went white mage, and at level .. 7,8,9? .. the damage wrapped around (went from 20-6 or something to 11-1 or something) on its magic attacks. Also the mage of light's attacks were the same type as the necros from the default wesnoth.
Hmmm, I've never gotten that high myself, outside of a debug situation. About what dungeon level did you get to? I was kind of thinking that the normal game should come to a close way before then. Anyway, I'll definitely get back to testing this out and will have to keep this in mind.
purei wrote:The spearman->halberdier henchman is off the charts. my friend's halberdier didn't wrap around, but it did [around level 7,8,9] gain shadow wave and chill. maybe my mage's damage wrapped to the halberdier's memory location?
Yeah, there's an issue with some units, since the amount of point they get for upgrades is based on the exp they gained, and Halberdiers have a high max exp. Thanks for the note, because this is something I definitely need to revisit.
purei wrote:Main Player: Another game playthrough I noticed the dwarf spear stalwart-type decide that a rusty spear was, adjusted ,way better than a 'spear' or a 'pike'. 7-3 vs 5-3 or 5-2 (or something).
I think that probably has to do with the stat requisites on the rusty spear vs. a better weapon. Basically, the rusty spear will be lighter and easier to use than the other two, if the character is weak. I always wanted to make my games not have lack of stats block item use, but rather just make those items less effective.
purei wrote:Miscellaneous: I'm impatiently waiting for more updates. I've kinda succeeded in getting a few people interested, and might be able to get more if the game was a bit deeper. This Wesband engine is amazing, by the way; I miss Angband and always wished for a multiplayer version.
Awesome! This is what I was hoping it could be. Thanks for playing!
purei wrote:Only other thing I wish were possible, would be to manage my inventory/character sheet/whatever when it's not my turn. the 'you can do nothing' can wear thin.
I wish this was possible. Using Wesnoth's engine has been great, but there are always those things I can't change. However, I wouldn't doubt Wesnoth allowing something like this one day.
purei wrote:I don't think bosses will work unless the AI of his minions is a bit smarter. A mid level can already (with lucky rolls) do enough to kill most characters. Boss characters basically throw you at the mercy of the random number generator. Fighting a group of people is where the challenge lies?
I think fighting groups will always be the height of the game. There isn't to much variation that 1v1 can have in this context. You really only have terrain and attack ranges to deal with, which isn't a lot. What would help, I think, is if I can get bosses and enemies in general to use spells and usable magic items just like how the players do. This is the kind of thing I'm specifically working on right now, so hopefully things will get more interesting soon.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Wormtongue taunts you.
Wormtongue spits on you.
Wormtongue flips you the bird.
Wormtongue throws feces at you. It smells bad.
Wormtongue throws a knife at you for 4 damage.
Wormtongue casts Blink.

:(
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Can't enemies already use magic items? A few of the baddies I faced used healing potions, and when I killed them they didn't drop healing potions.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, they can only use healing potions. That isn't too hard to do, as the only context is how bad the unit hurt. I have grand plans for the other stuff, but we'll see how well I can carry them out.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Wow this is awesome, I had never tried before o.O

It reminds me a lot of Fate.

The only thing is that it lags a lot though. :hmm: