Lords of the North, version 0.0.2 ready! (1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

styles1005

Lords of the North, version 0.0.2 ready! (1.8)

Post by styles1005 »

Version 0.0.2 is on the add-ons server and (hopefully) bug-free! There's not much done, but please give feedback.

EDIT: Updated version 0.0.2 is there!
Last edited by styles1005 on September 30th, 2010, 9:18 pm, edited 11 times in total.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: As-yet nonexistent campaign, The Problems of Others

Post by Anonymissimus »

Just in case you try building a campaign from scratch: That won't work. Start with e.g. A simple campaign (see my signature) instead. Modify it slightly (e.g. change some message= string) and test instantly; if it no longer works, go back.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
styles1005

Re: As-yet nonexistent campaign, The Problems of Others

Post by styles1005 »

Actually, I'm working from a slightly more complex starting point: The Ice Age. It was the nearest campaign in the add-ons folder to the campaign's original name. It's probably not the best one to start from, but I can check it against others when I get bugs. By the way, I've finally come up with the new name: Lords of the North. I've also rethought a bit of the story.

Mountain_King
Translator

Re: As-yet nonexistent campaign, Lords of the North

Post by Mountain_King »

Ice Age? *perks up and raises eyebrow* What does that mean? hmmmmmm.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Yup. The one by you. It's an old version, but I managed to play through it and found no bugs (as far as I can remember, anyway,) so it should work well enough. In any case, I've changed my model to HttT; I figured a mainline campaign wouldn't have any problems.

EDIT: By the way, I've just now finished the first scenario's coding (yay for me!) and need a map. That's right. I'm lousy at mapmaking, so if anybody could help/direct me to someone who could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

What kind of map? As you probably know, I have several snowy ones. So does BMR, come to think of it.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

A swamp one, actually. I'm thinking of having a few spokes of land going from place to place, though.

sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

styles1005 wrote:A swamp one, actually. I'm thinking of having a few spokes of land going from place to place, though.
You can modifiy that swamp map from TRoW.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Really? I didn't know there was a swamp map in TRoW. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Two things.

1) Do you mean "A Beach"? If so, actually that seems like it would be better served as scenario 3's map.

2) Errr . . . How would I edit it? I have no idea.

EDIT 2: Ah, you probably meant "The River Road." That would work.

EDIT 3: Ok, so apparently I'm not as bad as I make myself out to be - I've created my own map. Now, to test out the scenario!

EDIT 4: Yeah, I'm edit-happy. Anyway, it's not working. I corrected a whole bunch of missing/incorrect closing tags and a thing where I had LotN in some places, and LoTN in others, added the starting gold for the sides, and corrected the incorrect format of the difficulty-based starting gold. Now it's giving me this error message:

An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is :
A map without a header is not supported

When reporting the bug please include the following error message :
Condition '!(header_offset == std::string::npos || comma_offset < header_offset)' failed at src/map.cpp:163 in function 'read'.

Due to this error message, I compared my .map file for this scenario to that of HttT scenario 1 and found no differences (aside from the obvious different map.) I'm using Windows Vista, if that helps.

vcap

Post by vcap »

styles1005 wrote: An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is :

Condition '!(header_offset == std::string::npos || comma_offset < header_offset)' failed at src/map.cpp:163 in function 'read'.
Sound suspiciously like a lowercase/uppercase mismatch.

Make sure that if your map is named Mymap.map in windows, you call it Mymap.map in the scenario 'mapdata='; not mymap.map, MyMap.map, or mYmAp.MaP. This problem doesn't usually happen on windows (when asked for a file by an application it tries to to serve the closest match case-wise), but is systematic on linux and (i guess) on mac.
styles1005

Re: Lords of the North, one scenario done but not working

Post by styles1005 »

vcap wrote:
styles1005 wrote: An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is :

Sound suspiciously like a lowercase/uppercase mismatch.

Make sure that if your map is named Mymap.map in windows, you call it Mymap.map in the scenario 'mapdata='; not mymap.map, MyMap.map, or mYmAp.MaP. This problem doesn't usually happen on windows (when asked for a file by an application it tries to to serve the closest match case-wise), but is systematic on linux and (i guess) on mac.
Nope. I just checked; in the scenario mapdata= (which is actually map_data= for me; could that be it? I'll check in just a second.) it's "{~add-ons/Lords of the North/maps/LotN_01_Murky_Swamp.map}"; the name of the .map file is LotN_01_Murky_Swamp. Wait just a second . . . I don't know if . . . nope. It wasn't saved as a .map file. Lemme see if that solved it.

EDIT: Nope. No difference - it gives me the same error. Let me check out the map_data/mapdata thing.

EDIT 2: Nope. It said "Map not found" this time.

vcap

Post by vcap »

styles1005 wrote: Nope. I just checked; in the scenario mapdata= (which is actually map_data= for me; could that be it? I'll check in just a second.)
You're right, it's map_data, not mapdata.
styles1005 wrote: it's "{~add-ons/Lords of the North/maps/LotN_01_Murky_Swamp.map}"; the name of the .map file is LotN_01_Murky_Swamp. Wait just a second . . . I don't know if . . . nope. It wasn't saved as a .map file. Lemme see if that solved it.
Not sure if it could cause this problem, but whitespaces in filepath is not a good idea. The "Lords of the North" directory should be renamed "Lords_of_the_North" and _main.cfg changed accordingly.
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Wait a second . . . it is Lords_of_the_North. It's wrong in the scenario. Thanks! I'll see if that works.

EDIT: It works! Some minor adjustments are in order, but it works!

vcap

Post by vcap »

btw, i tried and having whitespaces in the directory name itself doesn't work. It would have caused a different error (unknown scenario), though. Apparently something breaks its arguments across whitespaces, so that the game eventually tries to get '.../add-ons/Lords' instead of '.../add-ons/Lords of the North/scenarios/somefile'.
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

And . . . there are more problems. I swear, you spend more time debugging this stuff than actually writing it! I tested it last night, and, first of all, the Saurian (allied) leader starts running to the top-left corner of the map. I gave him

[ai]
passive_leader=yes
[/ai]

in the [side] definition, but he still does it. He doesn't even recruit first!

Second, I realized that it was a little odd to have the Naga leader saying "Humansss! They mussst have come to aid the sssauriansssss! Kill them!" when you can't even see him, so I removed the fog, but 1) that necessitates a name change for the sssscenario (sorry, I had to) and 2) it really doesn't fit with my vision of the scenario. Thus, I'm wondering if there's a way to code it so that, when you first see the Naga/they first see you, it has the unit you see say it. I know the second part's possible (having the unit involved in an event speak), but I don't know about the first (triggering an event upon seeing an enemy).