How about the Wesnoth for PSP ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MoE_MoE_MoE

How about the Wesnoth for PSP ?

Post by MoE_MoE_MoE »

I just came to this BBS.I don't know whether someone post this topic before.I'm not good at English.Please forgive me.

I like the Wesnoth very.But I can't go to school with notebook computer.Instead is my PSP and NDSi.But these two game handhelds is made in Japan.So there is no decent SLG games.

My personal idea is whether the Wesnoth for PSP.
I don't know whether my idea is extravagant.
But I really hope the Wesnoth have more flexibility.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How about the Wesnoth for PSP ?

Post by Ken_Oh »

That would be really cool, but it's a matter of having someone to port it to the PSP, which I'm assuming isn't a small task. The person who ported Wesnoth to the iPhone says it took him "almost six months of full-time work."

Wesnoth doesn't have unlimited resources for that. I would guess that you'd see it ported to Android phones before anything else, but I don't even think anything is planned for that right now.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

I think the PSP just doesn't have the power to run Wesnoth. The iPhone struggles somewhat with it, and the PSP isn't as powerful. If someone can manage to get Wesnoth running in PSP, it would be a massive achievement.

Alternative handheld for portable Wesnoth: http://www.open-pandora.org/
If you're patient enough to wait for it to finally ship to you, it will be a great platform to play Wesnoth in (the regular PC version recompiled at that). And much more.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Yoyobuae wrote:Alternative handheld for portable Wesnoth: http://www.open-pandora.org/
If you're patient enough to wait for it to finally ship to you, it will be a great platform to play Wesnoth in (the regular PC version recompiled at that). And much more.
Mine arrived 2 days ago and it is a really lovely thing. Great battery capacity (playing more than 3 hours SNES in a currently unoptimized emulator cost less than 30% battery capacity. No, so far I have neither tested Wesnoth for it (there is a 1.6.x binary available) not have I compiled it myself.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

For some weird reason, I asked myself a similar question when I received my dingoo a320 a few weeks ago… "I wonder if there's a Wesnoth port for it?"…
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Kalajel wrote:For some weird reason, I asked myself a similar question when I received my dingoo a320 a few weeks ago… "I wonder if there's a Wesnoth port for it?"…
No, there is no dingoo port of Wesnoth. There is a "pre alpha" version of a gp2x port, but work on it was stopped some years ago. Main problem is that it is damn slow and crashes after a short time because it runs out of memory. Yes, Wesnoth is eating all memory alive...
Spell

Post by Spell »

hm. Shouldn't ports be much easier now, since the iPhone version is ready? I mean, the specs of an iPhone should be about the same as of an PSP. You would only need to change some parts but not the memory stuff since it allready has been minimized. It would be atleast less work than the iPhone Port.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Iphone RAM:
  • Original: 128MB
  • 3G: 128MB
  • 3GS: 256MB
PSP RAM:
  • PSP-1000: 32MB
  • PSP-2000: 64MB
  • PSP-3000: 64MB
  • PSP Go: 64MB
Maybe with a more aggressively optimized (stripped down even) it might be possible. The Iphone don't exactly leave the whole RAM available for the user applications (the OS and phone functions consume a big chunk). Maybe with some amount of work like Kyle did for the Iphone port it would be possible.

I mean it's pretty impressive what can be ported to the PSP:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/06/Aquaria-on-the-PSP
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Yoyobuae wrote:I think the PSP just doesn't have the power to run Wesnoth. The iPhone struggles somewhat with it, and the PSP isn't as powerful. If someone can manage to get Wesnoth running in PSP, it would be a massive achievement.

Alternative handheld for portable Wesnoth: http://www.open-pandora.org/
Okay, Wesnoth runs perfectly on the pandora. Latest stable release is now available for the pandora, too: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... d/download
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

WOOT! Thanks. I'm gonna use this at some point, hopefully before Christmas (at the tail of the order queue here :().
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Hey, somethings about that pandora thing (Sorry, not sure if I should've made a new topic or not, but...).
1. Does it come with it's own Charger.
2. About how much would one cost?
3. About what is the best game it could run?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Yoyobuae wrote:Iphone RAM:
  • Original: 128MB
  • 3G: 128MB
  • 3GS: 256MB
You can add another iPhone to that list -
iPhone 4: 512 MB

The simple fact of the matter is that the iPhone is much newer, more powerful hardware than the PSP. From my understanding, memory has been the overriding concern when porting Wesnoth to the iPhone. While Kyle has made some great strides in the area, I suspect that the law of diminishing returns will mean that further strides - necessary to bring Wesnoth down to PSP memory levels - will be much more difficult.

While developers have become very skilful at creating games that fully exploit the PSP's hardware, it'd be a hell of a lot of work to rewrite Wesnoth (a game designed for computers with hundreds of megabytes of RAM at least) to do the same.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

JackBarber wrote:Hey, somethings about that pandora thing (Sorry, not sure if I should've made a new topic or not, but...).
1. Does it come with it's own Charger.
2. About how much would one cost?
3. About what is the best game it could run?
1) Yes, it does. The charger is basically identical to the PSP charger (though really cheap chinese ones might not work!). You can also use usb for loading, but this is considerably slower (only 500mA vs 1000mA when using a "real" charger).

2) In October 2008 I paid 250€ (incl taxes in Germany) when I bought mine. The current price in Germany is 330€ for preorders if I am not too wrong.

3) That should clearly be Wesnoth. There is no better game available in the world than Wesnoth and it runs nicely on the pandora, so this is a clear answer. If you want to know what the most taxing programs are it would most likely be along the lines of playstation or n64 emulation. Those are still very much work in progress, but some things are already usable. Amiga, neogeo and whatnot emulation is also supported.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Alright thanks...
And wow, sorry for the necro, Was looking through all the "new" topics I just hadn't really looked at yet...
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."