Player made campaigns wont work.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WNxNightS

Player made campaigns wont work.

Post by WNxNightS »

Hey guys im using version 1.9.0 right now and its pretty good apart from one problem.
I was going to download some player made campings and stuff like that, but after I downloaded them and tryed to open them it said it could not read the file. So any help you could give me would be great. :)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Player made campaigns wont work.

Post by Anonymissimus »

You could try mine (#2 in the signature) which is supposed to work. Anyway, 1.9 is unstable, the addon manager may be buggy and the add-ons too. You should report this in the particular addon's thread.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
WNxNightS

Post by WNxNightS »

Yeah I was just looking in the wesnoth folder and it seems I don't have a addon folder anywhere. So did I miss something in the download?
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Are you on Windows?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
WNxNightS

Post by WNxNightS »

Yeah I am using Windows Vista.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Ah, that's it.
The addon folder is in a different (really weird) place in Vista.
See this sticky in the Tech Support forum.
WNxNightS

Post by WNxNightS »

Alright so I found the folder but the thread really dose not really say where I put it. If I just put it in the Wesnoth file on in C: then it will try and overwrite the data file thats already there and I need that data file also.
Captain_Wrathbow

You've got your userdata folder though?
All addons go into userdata/data/add-ons/.
WNxNightS

Post by WNxNightS »

No I have no userdata folder..
norbert

Post by norbert »

WNxNightS wrote:No I have no userdata folder..
The folder's name is not "userdata". That word is merely used to describes the folder that contains, among other things, /data/add-ons/, because its location differs depending on the OS used. In your case, with Vista, check in these directories (the latter may be hidden):
- Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.x
- UserName\Documents\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\...
Captain_Wrathbow

Well it's called "userdata" for me. (I'm on WinXP) I assumed that on other OS's it was just in a different location, but had the same name. I guess that's not so, though. :hmm: Oh well... whatever. :P
WNxNightS

Post by WNxNightS »

Yeah I have a wesnoth file in my program files witch is where I put it. But I also have one in "my games" in theres are cache, data (witch when clicked on gives me another file called add-ons), editor, saves and uploads and a few other files that are not folders. So now I ask what do I do with these files to get the addon to work?
norbert

Post by norbert »

WNxNightS wrote:So now I ask what do I do with these files to get the addon to work?
Let's get back to your original post. If something isn't working, you should give the exact error message (screenshot if you have to; "it could not read the file" is not enough) and mention what add-on you tried to use ("some player made campings and stuff like that" is not enough). Then you should "report this in the particular addon's thread", as Anonymissimus wrote. You are now looking for a folder to put "it" there to do something with "these files" to get "the addon" to work, but it's still unclear which add-on you're talking about and what error message you got. Also, 1.9.1 will be out soon: you could wait for it before continuing your quest. Keep in mind that 1.9 is the development version, so expect things to not work/break.
Captain_Wrathbow

WNxNightS wrote:But I also have one in "my games" in theres are cache, data (witch when clicked on gives me another file called add-ons)
Assuming you mean folder, yes, that's where you put them.
WNxNightS

Post by WNxNightS »

Norbert I am sorry if you do not think I did not give good info but when I said it says "it could not read the file" that is exactly what the error said. It was also multiple campaigns and eras that I tried to download all of witch would get this error.

So Wrathbow your saying I just put the campaigns and what ever else I download into the add-on folder? Shouldn't I put the add-on folder in the Wesnoth main folder or can it still read it if its in "my games"? And if thats the case do you know where the player made stuff will download?