Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Re: TSG, sprites reedition

Post by Jetrel »

Tet wrote:It is really cool.

For me the chestplate is moving to much. It is out of sync with the rest of the armor/body and basically shifting up and down. More like the helmet would be my suggestion.

But please get professionel feedback from our pixel masters.
Yeah, I think the fix to that would be to move the "faulds" along with the breastplate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulds_(plate_armour)

Other than that, I think this is excellent. :D
Last edited by AI on July 26th, 2010, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the link (automatic linkification missed the closing paren)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Hi, these days I have thought that if I want to do all the animations of these units, I must to improve a bit the baseframe....So I tried, and you can see the changes on the image below. The new one, is more stylistic and have a more top perspective. Also I changed my colours method, reducing a lot the quantity. Still I must to do some little more work, on shield for instance.

So...inmediatly I began to do the standing animation. I looked amounts of videos of street fighter and samurai shodow for more references. Also I looked the "bobing style" of sleepwalker that he did on saurians. although, i have finished a good breathing animation previosly I wanted to do a bouncing animation for the new baseframe. You can see the result on the image below.... note that is an UNFINISHED animation., because there are some pixels to "clean up" and the feather have no movement. But these animations give us more perspective to see how could work the standing animations. For this reason I included, another image with three units on the battlefield.

so....I like to know your opinion about all this. In my opinion, I repeated the same error on the pass, this is, it's a much exagerated movement.....But, is so dificult to make it more soft!!! :augh: :augh:
Attachments
new.png
new.png (8.75 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
baseframe.gif
baseframe.gif (10.2 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
bouncing.gif
Last edited by rhyging5 on July 29th, 2010, 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Umm, I think you may have neglected to attach your attachment.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

As you said, it is a bit exaggerated. But otherwise it looks nice. Maybe it could be a "selected" animation (http://wiki.wesnoth.org/AnimationWML#selected).
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Probably worth doing a quick size comparison to another level 2. This looks huge. Possibly also, the head is tilted a little too far down. Otherwise, good stuff.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

His glaive's blade is very blury, and he is staring directly south, unlike the rest of the wesnoth sprites which look in a south east/west direction(depending on which way they are turned).

Otherwise, nice work. :)
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Yeah but being turned south is no prob. Just turn his head SE or SW. Lots of units stand a bit sideways but still facing SE.

IMO it doesn't look exaggerated. Actually I think his left leg (our right) should move a bit more.

Anyway it's looking great except for the unpolished parts, :) like the chest bit snapping and the shield.

I know you say that it's WIP and I bet you know this but... I thought I'd show this to some people that may be watching:

:eng: Notice the shield? At the moment its movement is kinda jittery due to the limitations in trying to make a smooth subtle movements with just moving it a few pixels. How do we improve this? Well, with some anti-aliasing... Lets take the edge of the shield which has a diagonal line. In the first example here we have a black line moving a length of 5 pixels over 10 frames. The other example is exactly the same except that I animated it by using 2 differently drawn lines... One the original and one that could be said to be between the pixels, except it isn't. :augh: Uuh I think I'd rather just show you:

(Sorry non-photoshop users)
Attachments
TheStickOfMoving.gif
TheStickOfMoving.gif (505 Bytes) Viewed 4845 times
TheStickOfMoving+1.gif
TheStickOfMoving+1.gif (640 Bytes) Viewed 4845 times
MovingLine.psd
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
SubpixelExample.psd
(30.16 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

wow, useful lesson. This is the kind of knowlegde I need for improve. About this work, standing for the lliutenent, I don't like at all. Continue thinking it's much exagerated. But I'm not stop here. I continue working on bouncing animations. I this case, I work with dwarf warrior. To see how factible is to produce this kind of animation and how it seems over the ground, and then, we can imagine a bit more how would be our battle ground with bouncing animations. In my opinion, this animation match more than I wanted to produce, a bouncing animation that gives to us a perception that our units are not made of stone, they are alive, and have plenty energy to fight, not exagerated, for no seems that they are dancing or doing fitness. Note that the animation is unfinished ( still to make lights, shadows, and textures). Now that I'm more satisfied, need to know a general feedback. For instance, if you like the hipotetic image of a battleground full of bouncing animations......

about these TSG units....I'm not abandoned it. For instance, I'm work on the SE attack animation of L3. I tried to do a awesome attack. A bit more diferent of the rest. Like the ninja. But theres a problem wich is unfinished animation. That on the last months I changed a bit my methods (Like palette colors), and i'm not aplied on it....
Attachments
bouncing2.gif
bouncing2.gif (119.01 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
bouncing.gif
bouncing.gif (4.73 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
Atacksouthtaller.gif
Atacksouthtaller.gif (20.02 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Difficult to judge the Dwarf Warrior's bounce without shading, however the axe shaft and shield seem to distort in a way that doesn't seem right to me. The attack, however, looks brilliant, I'd have to see it properly in game to be utterly sure, but it looks like it would work for at least S and SE animations.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Rhyging...
That is possibly the best attack animation I've seen yet...
Congratulations.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

:shock: That is EPIC.

If I were to nitpick about anything, it seems improbable that someone with such heavy, bulky armor and equipment would be able to perform a 'ninja' move like that. :hmm: But it's the rule of cool. 8)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Oh man, that is awesome. If that gets committed I will spend hours playing TSG now.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

that´s just too cool :shock:
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yeah, attack anim is awesome.

@ the dwarf: I don't really mind a field full of bouncing unit (it seems inescapable anyway), but I'm not too fond of this particular anim. He looks like he's rolling his shoulder and rotating his torso in a weird way... I don't know, maybe he could just breath or something, and/or move his arms a bit without going full shoulder-torso movement?

Anyway, great work! Keep it up! :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
cretin

Post by cretin »

im afraid that i will only use him in the campaign to attack things now...