another topic about drakes! (since we don't have enough!)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris7mas

Re: another topic about drakes! (since we don't have enough!

Post by Chris7mas »

This one is for Loyalists vs. Drakes: Recruit only spearmen and eventually bowmen and attack blindly whatever is in your way. You cannot lose.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Yes you ca-
Oh wait.

This is this topic. Never mind, carry on :whistle:

Their burner hoard will easily clean up your spearmen, though. The spearmen don't have enough ranged retaliation.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

THE VERY MODT BEST TIPS FOR UNDEAD VS. DRAKES

1.DA are very overpriced and should not be recruited. Better go for Skeletons.
2.Many of your units are fearless so you should not waste halve the game by retiring at day.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Drakefriend wrote:THE VERY MODT BEST TIPS FOR UNDEAD VS. DRAKES
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Yoyobuae wrote:
Tarsus wrote:LOL, at first I thought you were serious. I was thinking, attacking a dark adept with a burner at night? Nice thread guys. By the way, who in this post prefers drakes to any other faction? I'm torn between drakes and loyalists, or maybe rebels.
I have been a drake player since day one. Still haven't mastered them though. :lol2:

Yoyo- join the club. I still have trouble playing drakes v loyalists. :( I actually think I prefer saurians to normal drakes. I just hate how expensive they are, and they can't dodge jack! Oh well...

Tarsus- loyalists are definitely growing on me... pretty much ever since oesis showed me how nasty cavalry units are. I never see oesis on these days... :cry:
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Caphriel wrote:Yes you ca-
Oh wait.

Their burner hoard will easily clean up your spearmen, though. The spearmen don't have enough ranged retaliation.
what? lol ! at which point of the game is this going to happen that u have enough gold to buy a burner HOARD? before or after the zillion spears take a foot in your villages?
Drakefriend wrote:1.DA are very overpriced and should not be recruited. Better go for Skeletons.
2.Many of your units are fearless so you should not waste halve the game by retiring at day.
i really liked that one, especially the latter part, mentioning their fearless trait.
donkey wrote:loyalists are definitely growing on me
on me too. lately i have fooled eh intimidated my opponents in pre-game with the shocktroopers pathetic (and mostly useless) attack.

most memorable the game against goldilocks...wait ill grab it out quickly...

here it is (scroll up a little):

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 81#p450581
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Rigor wrote:
Caphriel wrote:Yes you ca-
Oh wait.

what? lol ! at which point of the game is this going to happen that u have enough gold to buy a burner HOARD? before or after the zillion spears take a foot in your villages?
I guess he said that because it's this topic after all.

Still I want to say this, burners are the highest ranged attack drakes have at daytime. They're good to use just before dusk (specially as P2). They'll hit for really good damage and also melee retaliate later. Burners may not the spearmen counter attack though. Then again, drakes don't really need those burners for night time. :P

Burners really shine at taking out loy horse units, though. No retaliation, easy hits vs low defense (40%). Much better than wasting HP meleeing them with Clashers (which are better keep at max HP, so you can use them when you need them most).

Of course, augurs will always be needed to finish the job. Specially against units sitting in villages.

I really feel that one or two burners really compliment the tons of augurs that drakes need to fight loys.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

not so sure it was a joke. actually, i saw games being won with such a strrrrrrrrrrrategy! breathtaking. and, you are right with the clasher and the full hp. that must be your experience playing drakes all the time :D
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

i played a game on isars and it ended when i started spamming burners :D
rayhaku

Post by rayhaku »

I just started playing with Drakes. I really like them, but I haven't won a single match. My friend is a Rebel lover so that doesn't help at all. I'm going to start spamming Burner's. As soon as I read #2 I was like, "this guy one fool or what?" Reading on I noticed it was a joke. Pretty funny~
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

@rayhaku: Against rebels I'd go more with Clashers/Augurs. Clashers will always take less melee damage from nearly all rebel melee units. Augurs will take less ranged damage from their ranged units. Might add some drake fighters for some extra speed and a bit of fire damage to keep woses from being recruited.

You don't really want to expose clashers to a lot of free hits from archers though. It's unavoidable in many cases, just make sure you can hurt back those archers, they don't have that much HP.

Same with augurs, strong elvish fighters just murder saurians (7-4 all the time). Kill those first, or keep saurians out of their reach.