Picture Type

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
aaronfeld

Picture Type

Post by aaronfeld »

When picking your picture in at this stage of the code:

icon="data/campaigns/Descent_Into_Darkness/images/units/dark-mage.png~RC(magen

ta>red)"
image="data/campaigns/Scenario_Collection/images/lunasaur.png"
name= _ "Descent Into Darkness"

does it mader what does it have to be png. If not could you provide a list of types.

Thanks
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Picture Type

Post by artisticdude »

Currently the engine only supports the .png and .jpg formats, with .png being used for smaller images such as sprites and portraits, and .jpg being used for story images, which tend to be larger.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Use png for everything except story images which would be too big otherwise - you can use jpg for those. Just don't try to use anything else than png for anything else.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

As a part of story images, BG map is also possible to be saved as .jpg.
beetlenaut (author of Dead Water and The Founding of Borstep) manages .jpg as well. His BG map looks like .png.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

I'm looking at the picture that is on the campain selction. Is that a story image or what?

Thanks
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Story images are the ones that fill the screen during the narrative sequences between scenarios.

.JPG does not support transparency, while .PNG does, which is another reason for .PNG's widespread use in Wesnoth.

Team color adjustments would likely not work on a .JPG since it looks for precise color values, that would likely be at least partially altered by .JPG compression
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity