Bold New Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Bold New Maps

Post by Doc Paterson »

In the spirit of working on 1v1s with atypical dynamics, I present you all with the most recent versions of two bold new maps of mine.

Many are familiar with Arcanclave Citadel, which continues to be tinkered with. The second is brand new, and has only been played by a few folks on the server. It's called "Aethermaw." A few notes about it:

-Reading the opening notes is advised. ;)

-The outer regions are (in this version) purely decorative, so don't get freaked out by all of the snow and desert.

A Delux Aethermaw is in the works as well, which will be an absolute ruckus. 8)

(Feedback is useful, replays are extra useful, and this thread is a good place for both.)

EDIT: An updated version of Arcanclave Citadel is posted below.
Attachments
BoldNewMaps.zip
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Quetzalcoatl

Re: Bold New Maps

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I dont remember: Is it the latest version of non-deluxe Aethermaw or there is / will be another one?

Cheers
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Quetzalcoatl wrote:I dont remember: Is it the latest version of non-deluxe Aethermaw or there is / will be another one?

Cheers
Yes, that's the latest version.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

A replay on citadel. My opponent was playing knalgans vs my northerners. He had never played the map before and I won without great difficulty.

I am not sure that it represents an imbalance as I feel that I did outplay my opponent however I do think that the power of regeneration in the tunnels and poison when the villages are so distant along with the income advantage that can be achieved relatively safely with goblins gave me a great deal of power this game.
Attachments
ArchCitadel_KvsN.gz
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

A D vs D game against dauntless that ended a bit early though he had a strong advantage.

He asserts that it is a bit hard to attack. I'm not all that inclined to disagree. I have won through offense a number of times but I suspect that the better the players/the more they know the map the harder it will become to do so.
Attachments
2p_-_Arcanclave_Citadel_replay.gz
(25.53 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Velensk wrote:A D vs D game against dauntless that ended a bit early though he had a strong advantage.

He asserts that it is a bit hard to attack. I'm not all that inclined to disagree. I have won through offense a number of times but I suspect that the better the players/the more they know the map the harder it will become to do so.
First, thanks very much for collecting replays, it's very helpful, and I appreciate it greatly. :)

Here's my take on this match:

On turns 5 and 6, he attacks you. Both of his augurs go 1 for 3, and he does not get the kill because of this. I think that very well could have been an example of an attack succeeding, but as it was, it steered things a bit more towards him being defensive.

He then seems afraid to attack anywhere. I think his leader up north could have absolutely pushed through and done some serious damage in the north-west. Maybe he thought you were storing gold to unleash a huge counterattack, but his leader basically just sat there the whole game, having no influence on his offense.

In regards to that (leader being used offensively), the map has received, throughout its history, several tweaks designed to reduce the pressure that leaders can assert. Whether this has gone a slight bit too far is certainly possible. I don't think so myself, but time and more testing will help clear that up.

Other points: I think you may have experienced this as well, but I don't think the center is at all defensive in matches of opposing alignment. Drake/Undead, Northerner/Loy, etc. etc., there's a whole lot of advancing and falling back that occurs. Even in this match, things to me seemed pretty standard in relation to a typical mirror match, and again, I do think that there were good opportunities for dynamic and successful forward pushes.

Most importantly of all, I really think you had him in the south-east! Taking that area would be huge, and I don't think you simultaneously holding the center was at all impossible when the game ended.

Anyways, that's my take on things. :) More replays would be great. I'll probably be on tomorrow for some continued testing.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Here's an update for Arcanclave Citadel. I've added an extra village in the north and south center areas, and pushed things again ever so slightly in a more offense-encouraging direction.

I've also bumped up starting gold to 175, which gives Drakes, Loys and Elves (and to a lesser extent, Knalgans) a hand up on their early village collect, and now enables all factions to have all of their villages by the end of turn two, if they want to go that route.

The 1.9 version is included here too, and most of you will know know this, but I just wanted to post a reminder- It will not work with the 1.8 line. :)
Attachments
Arcanclave Update.zip
(5.76 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I just found and watched this Arcanclave match. Though Nelson has a little trouble with the timer initially, this really turns into an interesting and exciting match.

http://ladder.subversiva.org/profile.ph ... me_no_more
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Many people saw this one as it happened, but I wanted to post it here as well. I'm not a fan of the order in which they do their combat and passive movement/village-taking*, but still, this is a great match, with an exciting Security Breach.

*I think most will know what I mean by this, but I'll elaborate, if not.
Attachments
20100908175952_nelson_vs_gamelle_wesnoth-ladder.gz
(41.08 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Another great match between enacui and nelson; very dynamic and exciting. :)

http://ladder.subversiva.org/download-r ... %3A41%3A50
without your noses.
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I have a proposal for fixing Aethermaw fog issue.

Right now there is turn event that opens ways to opposite side on both flanks. I think changing it to side turn event to open only one flank at given side turn would be cool. It would make fog issue equally unfair making it fair this way :) .

Cheers
Q
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Quetzalcoatl wrote:I have a proposal for fixing Aethermaw fog issue.

Right now there is turn event that opens ways to opposite side on both flanks. I think changing it to side turn event to open only one flank at given side turn would be cool. It would make fog issue equally unfair making it fair this way :) .

Cheers
Q
That sounds like a good idea, though maybe we should seek the advice of a WML Master first, in regards to the base problem, before going this route.
without your noses.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Quetzalcoatl wrote:I have a proposal for fixing Aethermaw fog issue.

Cheers
Q
That sounds like a good idea, though maybe we should seek the advice of a WML Master first, in regards to the base problem, before going this route.
Do you still need help?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

LightFighter wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: That sounds like a good idea, though maybe we should seek the advice of a WML Master first, in regards to the base problem, before going this route.
Do you still need help?
Yes. Are you familiar with the issue? A barrier drops on turns 4, 5, and 6, gradually opening up the two halves of the battlefield so that units can cross over/see into the other half of the map. From player 2's perspective though, during player 1's turn, fog is not updating (for them) in real-time, and is only doing so at the stat of their next turn. This enables P1 to send a unit to the edge of P2's fog, do a bit of scouting, and duck back behind the fog-line, without P2 being able to see what unit it was. Not a big deal, as P2 will usually see the unit anyway after advancing 2 or 3 hexes, but nevertheless, we don't like it. :?
without your noses.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Doc Paterson wrote: Yes. Are you familiar with the issue? A barrier drops on turns 4, 5, and 6, gradually opening up the two halves of the battlefield so that units can cross over/see into the other half of the map. From player 2's perspective though, during player 1's turn, fog is not updating (for them) in real-time, and is only doing so at the stat of their next turn. This enables P1 to send a unit to the edge of P2's fog, do a bit of scouting, and duck back behind the fog-line, without P2 being able to see what unit it was. Not a big deal, as P2 will usually see the unit anyway after advancing 2 or 3 hexes, but nevertheless, we don't like it. :?
You mean, fog is removed for side 1, and replaced at the end of the turn? Or that player 2 cannot see what side 1 is doing even if they should?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.