Aragwaith art thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Liryan

Re: Aragwaith sprites updated!

Post by Liryan »

yeah, well i meant if you ever decided to finish them, we'd surely appreciate the effort, even for just some of the units
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Things have changed but where to hell is the path for the addons under windows.
I just wanted to get an overview but alas can't even find the folders anymore...
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
em3

Post by em3 »

My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.8\data\add-ons
ride on shooting star
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

That's only if there are multiple accounts on your computer and you chose the "Install just for me" option rather than "Install for anyone using this computer", in which case it would be in Program Files.
em3

Post by em3 »

Actually, I chose "Install for anyone on this computer".
It's just that the folder in My Documents is created after the game starts for first time.

EDIT: Actually, the installer also lets you to choose between storing game data files - either in game directory or in My Documents - but I guess that doesn't make it installed for one user or all.

Is this going offtopic? :whistle:
ride on shooting star
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

em3 wrote:Actually, I chose "Install for anyone on this computer".
It's just that the folder in My Documents is created after the game starts for first time.

EDIT: Actually, the installer also lets you to choose between storing game data files - either in game directory or in My Documents - but I guess that doesn't make it installed for one user or all.

Is this going offtopic? :whistle:
Not really at least it helped me a lot, quess my gap between the last release got way too big. :whistle:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
em3

Post by em3 »

Glad to be of help.

Actually Aragwaith used to be my favorite faction in EE. I liked the capes and dynamic poses present on the sprites. They looked different than any other faction, just like Windsong does (my favorite faction in EoM).
ride on shooting star
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

So I finally wated to the mess that I used to call Aragwaith.
To be frank I almost got Eye cancer some units are long overdue for an update. :?
Sigh putting some work into it again.
Beginning with the archer.

I reduced the amount of colors to keep my sanity while animating it and cleaned it a bit up. Now for the bigger part animation. To be frank I was never a big animation guy, I "borrow" as much stuff from mainline units as I can, still for most parts here I'm on my own and amount of frames doesn't get smaller. Especial the defence animation might need 3 or 4 further frames to be really smooth. I probably messed up the TC in parts the aligning of the images might be off in some parts and I'm not really up to date to wire it into wml so I appreciate any feedback form the maintainers and users who find glitches.

Further up on the road I try to update at least the first lvl units who get the most showtime, I'll probably cut the amount of frames aswell but we'll see.
Next up for animation will be the spearman.

I tried to keep the vibe of the old one but he was a mess. Any suggestions before I run him down will be appreciated.
Attachments
I.zip
(128.47 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

-Ghost Fields
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

wayfarer wrote: Beginning with the archer.
I tried to keep the vibe of the old one but he was a mess. Any suggestions before I run him down will be appreciated.
Hi,
I maintain the ANO and the Aragwaithi are used there.
Both archer and spearman look pretty, but from my point of view they look too elvish. Why are they blonde?

In the ANO they are described as a humans. Is it true or not? If yes, IMHO the colour of their hair should be darker (at least for male).
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Hello,

well Aragwaith units had quite bright hair from the beginning. Well dirty grey/green to be frank.
They are humans, at least I didn't plan otherwise. (though some units started in the planing phase as elves, until I changed my mind :whistle:)

If I get around the higher lvl units will get the grey dirt green mix again (no not the old mash of colours) to show the maturation and their age.

The current hair color is based on the elve ones which I think looks well. Further up the road I think the swordline (perhabs mage line aswell) will get darker hair to distinguish the faction as a whole.
I hope you can still live with it, otherwise I can change it later, but for now getting someting done is more important I think.

-Ghost Fields
Liryan

Post by Liryan »

i love their hair color, it had always been part of their uniqueness imo
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Liryan wrote:i love their hair color, it had always been part of their uniqueness imo
Well since I do listen from time to time. This will be the advancement of the archer with the old hair color.(The shoulder area is still messy, forgive I but it together just for shows)
All lvl 2s units will change back to this color. I'm not too sure about the lvl 1s though.

Since I was already asked about the backround of the units I will post a small summary around here.
To make it short I do not really care much about it. Feel free to give them a new life.

I will do them for my personal liking and lousy backround to make them looking consistent.
I will make them looked as ragged as possible, to show that they might have seen better times and one or the other battle aswell.
Some units will carry small bags, bagbacks and blankets to show that they are used to long travels.
I am aiming for an rather individual look (within a game where every units alike ironic) and feel of the faction. They might be good(as you wish) but not fair, so they will step on someone when he is lieing on the ground if it means the figthing will stop.
The higher units will be looking as ragged as the lvl 1 but will carry relics from better times. So certain Unit lines will get nice and shiny stuff while still wearing the same old dirty green and ragged capes.

That's it for now have fun.
Attachments
strongbow.png
strongbow.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 3752 times

-Ghost Fields
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

tapik wrote:
wayfarer wrote: Beginning with the archer.
Hi,
Both archer and spearman look pretty, but from my point of view they look too elvish. Why are they blonde?

In the ANO they are described as a humans. Is it true or not? If yes, IMHO the colour of their hair should be darker (at least for male).
Well, I'm currently working on the new description and history for the Aragwaithi faction. I was planning on making them a hybrid race who descended from both the Maraunder/Arendian people and refugees from the Sidhe. Thus making them not immortal but with a longer lifespan then the "normal" human. So the blond would not come unhandy. However, this is 100% the artists point of view and so I will follow the decision when it is made.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Gwynnedrion wrote:
tapik wrote: Hi,

Well, I'm currently working on the new description and history for the Aragwaithi faction. I was planning on making them a hybrid race who descended from both the Maraunder/Arendian people and refugees from the Sidhe. Thus making them not immortal but with a longer lifespan then the "normal" human. So the blond would not come unhandy. However, this is 100% the artists point of view and so I will follow the decision when it is made.
Hm. Weren't the Aragwaithi from Post-Wesnoth Irdya? According to IftU at least. Anyhow, good job wayfarer! They're looking great!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

So, looks like there are two Aragwaith factions out there, one on Irdya (post Wesnoth: IftU/ANO), one on Orbivm (Feudal Era). They can share properties (stats), sprites and some of the descriptions, but can not share history, if we don't want to introduce interstellar travel (maybe by magic).

So, they would have different histories in Orbivm and Irdya.