Question regarding new versions of wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gaaren

Question regarding new versions of wesnoth

Post by Gaaren »

Hello gentlemen and the odd gentleladies.

So, I'm playing wesnoth in the 1.8.2 version. And I see there's a new stable out, 1.8.3. I was wondering if there is anyway I can update my current wesnoth to the new one without having to download the entire thing (250 mb takes an awful lot of time with my internet...)? Like an automated patch update or something when I log on to the servers?

Thanks in advance!
pauxlo

Re: Question regarding new versions of wesnoth

Post by pauxlo »

Gaaren wrote:Hello gentlemen and the odd gentleladies.

So, I'm playing wesnoth in the 1.8.2 version. And I see there's a new stable out, 1.8.3. I was wondering if there is anyway I can update my current wesnoth to the new one without having to download the entire thing (250 mb takes an awful lot of time with my internet...)? Like an automated patch update or something when I log on to the servers?

Thanks in advance!
There is not, since no developer finds it sufficiently important to invest time producing such an updater.

You may look at the changelog to decide whether you need the new version at all (there are only minor changes.)
Gaaren

Post by Gaaren »

pauxlo wrote:
Gaaren wrote:Hello gentlemen and the odd gentleladies.

Thanks in advance!
There is not, since no developer finds it sufficiently important to invest time producing such an updater.

You may look at the changelog to decide whether you need the new version at all (there are only minor changes.)
I see, too bad. Ima wait a few patches before downloading it again I guess (unless there is some major updates). Ima look in the changelog tomorrow and see if I can make any sence out of it.
I vote for the wesnoth team to create such an updater! :!:

Thanks for your quick answer, always appreciated. :D
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Gaaren wrote:I see, too bad. Ima wait a few patches before downloading it again I guess (unless there is some major updates). Ima look in the changelog tomorrow and see if I can make any sence out of it.

Thanks for your quick answer, always appreciated. :D
There won't be any major changes in 1.8. It's a stable [can't remember the word]. Once 1.9 comes, it will be the development [can't remember the word]. That's when new features and major changes are added.

For example, I'm still on 1.8.0 and I don't plan to update until 1.9. Then I'll probably keep up with all the development releases until the next stable release. (1.10)

I still find myself confused about version numbering etc sometimes so if I any of my info is not right, someone please correct me. :)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

According to what tsi told me a while back, you're right. Wesnoth doesn't number its version decimally. I'm unable to tell you why that is (and the thread in which tsi gave me the information fell victim to the autopruner), but unless something has changed and I'm unaware of it, the non-decimal versioning system is still in place.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The version numbering system we use is like this: A.B.C, where A is the major version number (so far we've had 0 and 1), B is the branch number, and C is the revision number. You can also consider A and B “major” and “minor”, respectively.

Occasionally there'll be a suffix to C, such as “b” in “1.1.2b”, indicating that there was a serious issue with the original revision release that needed to be solved as soon as possible. In these cases users of one or more platforms are encouraged to update if they had downloaded the original broken version first.

These numbers are individually and separately increased following a base 10 system. Thus, 1.6.1 is followed by 1.6.2 in the same branch. 1.8.x is followed by the 1.9.x series, which is in turn followed by 1.10.x. Even/zero series/branch numbers correspond to stable branches starting with 1.0. Odd numbers correspond to development branches, which one deemed stable enough, they start getting special releases labeled as “betas” and “Release Candidates” (RCs) for the next stable branch. Eventually, a Release Candidate is followed by the first release in the new stable branch.

In general, most players shouldn't need to use a development release unless they are interested in helping Wesnoth's development by reporting every bug or issue they find to the development team. In particular, content compatibility isn't guaranteed between development releases unless they are being labeled as “beta” near the end of the cycle. We always do our best to keep betas and RCs compatible amongst themselves — particularly so for the RCs. Individual releases in the same stable series, however, are always compatible with other version of the same stable series (and, unofficially, RCs of the development series it stemmed from) for multiplayer games and singleplayer saved games.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:For example, I'm still on 1.8.0 and I don't plan to update until 1.9.
You should have at least updated to 1.8.1.
1.8.1 announcement wrote:Most changes in this release do affect people playing Wesnoth in multiplayer. The most important change is probably the reintroduction of the old multiplayer lobby as it is known from the 1.6.x days. Though it is not identical to the one from 1.6.x since the option to apply filters was added. For the moment both, the old and the new lobby are available. You can switch between the two by simply changing the preference entry. By default the old lobby is active. [...]

[...] If you are publishing add-ons either using the game itself or the addon_manager you should upgrade to this version since some security issues were fixed since 1.8.0. Beside this several issues in campaigns were fixed, some graphics improved and many translations updated.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

ok, the thing is like this: 1. even number. anything is a stable release. 1. odd number. anything is a development release. for instance, 1.6.3 is a stable release, so is 1.4.0 or 1.6.4. On the other hand, 1.5.1 is a development release, so is 1.5.7 and 1.3.8. After the development release 1.9.9, the following release could be either development release 1.9.10, or stable release 1.10.0, ther are NOT the same. As Captain_Wrathbow said, I believe major updates happen on development releases, and stable releases (change from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3) are just minor tweaks and bug fixes. Well, this is as far as I know... hope it is right, and that it cleared some doubts.
EDIT: ninja'd oh well...
Last edited by PeterPorty on July 14th, 2010, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Well, the thing Captain Wrathbow says is muach true in a way, but If you are going to play some single player, you would likely have to download those(if some scenarios are tweaked), that's why you are said to take a look into the changelog before deciding anything.

About the versioning, i guess you are right(or so i think), we have 1.8.... now, whenever new features or major changes are added, it is likely to appear a new development version, although as the name states it is a version that is beign developed, so it may be buggy at some places, but that's your choice(i also guess development and stable use different MP servers.).

I do not know the precise explanation of the version numbers, but as far as i know, first number is the one that features really substantial changes, second one major changes, third one bug fixes and small changes.

Home not to be wrong...

PD:SM slipped through my post...
PD2:So did Peter...
Captain_Wrathbow

shadowmaster wrote: You should have at least updated to 1.8.1.
1.8.1 announcement wrote:Most changes in this release do affect people playing Wesnoth in multiplayer. The most important change is probably the reintroduction of the old multiplayer lobby as it is known from the 1.6.x days. Though it is not identical to the one from 1.6.x since the option to apply filters was added. For the moment both, the old and the new lobby are available. You can switch between the two by simply changing the preference entry. By default the old lobby is active. [...]

[...] If you are publishing add-ons either using the game itself or the addon_manager you should upgrade to this version since some security issues were fixed since 1.8.0. Beside this several issues in campaigns were fixed, some graphics improved and many translations updated.
:augh: I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out, I better update as soon as possible....
itota

Post by itota »

Gaaren wrote:
i vote for the idea too. :!:
thanks for xdelta we can shorten download time. i am using this. but i think we need the binary version of xdelta files because it takes very very long time to compile the program. :cry:

edit : p.s. how can the box "someone wrote:" be made?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

there should be an Quote icon above where you type, just put [quote="user name"] instead of [quote].
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
itota

Post by itota »

Pentarctagon wrote:there should be an Quote icon above where you type...
thank you Pentarctagon ! :D
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

itota wrote:but i think we need the binary version of xdelta files because it takes very very long time to compile the program. :cry:
As far as I remember, XDeltas used to be provided for the Windows installer until 1.0.2. They were deemed useless afterwards since they tended to be as large as the complete installer package itself, since the installer's internal compressed archive doesn't “deltify” well.

This is of course the effect of compressing data, always. We can have XDeltas for the source code package because it's a bzip2 tarball — that is, a .tar archive (not compressed) that's stored as a bzip2-compressed file! The XDeltas apply to the .tar archive itself, not the compressed form.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:There won't be any major changes in 1.8. It's a stable [can't remember the word]. Once 1.9 comes, it will be the development [can't remember the word]. That's when new features and major changes are added.
"Branch" is the not remembered word.
There would be no major new features, but there may be major bug fixes. So, you should change if the changelog contains any bug fix you need or you may need. (Or if you think you found a new bug: change before reporting it, to see if it is already fixed.)

(Off topic)
Pentarctagon wrote:there should be an Quote icon above where you type, just put [ quote="user name" ] instead of [ quote ].
Or, even easier, on the bottom right of each post (at least the skin I use) there is a quote button, which creates an answer and quotes the whole post. (You may want to edit some text out, specially if it is long.)
Captain_Wrathbow

pauxlo wrote:"Branch" is the not remembered word.
Oh. Yeah, that's it.... :D
pauxlo wrote:Or, even easier, on the bottom right of each post (at least the skin I use) there is a quote button, which creates an answer and quotes the whole post. (You may want to edit some text out, specially if it is long.)
Or, even easier, on the reply page, in the little window at the bottom that shows recent posts in the thread, you can highlight what you want to quote, then click the button. :D