Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Post by LordBob »

I've been sketching drakes for a while now and recently decided I'd clean and ink one of those sketches. Here's the result : a drake arbiter that will likely serve as an alternate to whatever TSI comes up with when he gets back to drakes.
Attachments
drakes-arbiter.png
drakes-arbiter.png (172.93 KiB) Viewed 16614 times
Last edited by LordBob on October 5th, 2020, 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: LordBob's random stuff : drake arbiter

Post by zookeeper »

I find it hard to shake the impression that he's leaning forward, curving his back up and sticking his butt out. I know it's a reptilian and thus has different anatomy, but it's still human-like enough that it's pretty hard not to perceive the pose that way. :hmm:

The three probably biggest reasons for that, I think, are the very round chest and behind and the fact that the knees would appear to be very close to each other. I'm not sure if it's possible, but perhaps moving the pelvis forwards and spreading out the knees a little would make my impression disappear.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The halberd bothers me. It looks like it is using one scaled to a human but is holding it as if it were scaled to his size. The drake should be strong enough to use a weapon that size like a light spear which would allow for a much more agressive pose, alternatively you could give him one that is larger though that might be hard to get into the portrait.

Either way though, other than the fact that that stance is a little wierd it looks to me like it is trying to say 'friendly dinosaur' rather than fearsome foe. It kind of looks like he is waving and smileing.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

zookeeper wrote:I find it hard to shake the impression that he's leaning forward, curving his back up and sticking his butt out. I know it's a reptilian and thus has different anatomy, but it's still human-like enough that it's pretty hard not to perceive the pose that way. :hmm:
I agree that it looks like he sticks his butt out XD
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Zookeeper : I'm taking note of your comments for further drake portraits, should I draw any. However, the changes you suggest are important and working the lines is a hell of a time, so I likely won't be changing this one. We're on slipping ground anyways anatomy-wise, as we're trying to define a creature which nature never saw fit to give life to. Nevertheless :
- The round chest is meant to accomodate the huge muscles required to flap wings. I tried to imitate the chest of a bird.
- The "back" pelvis would be, as far as I understand, a typical feature of reptile that evolved into a somewhat standing position (he's mostly modelled after a velociraptor). I'm not willing to let it go as I think it's one of the few features that define my creature as a unique being and not a humanoid with wings and scales. :wink:
- The round hip and knee angle may admittedly improve

Velensk : if it's size we're discussiong, the head of the halberd is already quite large (here's what reference I'm working with). Steel is dense enough that it doesn't have to be massive to be deadly, eventhough fantasy and manga advertise the opposite. You'd be surprised at how small and unimpressive the head of an actual waraxe can be. If it's length, well as you pointed, fitting it in the portrait won't be that simple.
Regarding the pose, it doesn't say anywhere I have to make it agressive, especially since this ought to serve as an alternate portrait. Drakes are people too and I don't see a reason why they should only ever snarl or grawl or threaten :roll:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I was mainly talking about length though I suspect a drake could handle an even larger head. Although it may not be a good idea to make it as long as it should be (assuming that drakes use halberds scaled to themselves at the same rate that humans scale theirs to themselves) I do think that it could use to look a bit longer so that it does not look like it was built for a human.

Growl/Snarl isn't needed or useful (it'd be quite silly for allied drakes) however I do think that that particular stance would look silly on an enemy drake (btw, alternate to what portrait?). I agree that it doesn't need to actively threaten but I do think that it should look a little less friendly.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

You may have a point about the length of the halberd. However it really can't get much longer as I'd like him to fill as much as possible of the 500*500 frame limit in order to show his size. The preliminary image I posted will be further cropped, therefore, which doesn't leave much room for a longer halberd.

Regarding the pose, I may admit that it's not neutral enough, but fixing it requires that I redo a good half of the portrait as I'd have to reposition both arms and the weapon. So I'll pass.

Regarding the matter of "alternates", this portrait is more like a hobby that I'm granting myself. TheSpaceInvader is already working on the drakes gallery and hasn't given any sign that he's about to drop them, so he's the man in charge and will likely come up with his own arbiter portrait sooner or later (whenever possible, we try to have a single artist per faction as it allows for a more consistent result). As for me, there are plenty other portraits that still require an artist out there. :eng:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Just some visual thoughts; I get a bit of the same impression regarding the pose, but I think the cause of a lot of it is the angle of the leg.

I see drakes (and to my knowledge, raptors) as always having legs splayed outwards, for balance, rather than having them tilt inwards. They might tilt inwards and "inline" during a sprint, but not during standing.

I do like this portrait a lot - it has a lot of character. :)

Regarding the pose, I may admit that it's not neutral enough, but fixing it requires that I redo a good half of the portrait as I'd have to reposition both arms and the weapon. So I'll pass.
Eh, I think it's borderline neutral enough. Neutral enough to leave be. There are plenty of kitty's portraits, like the L1 female human mage, that are decidedly not neutral, but work fine for establishing character.

Establishing character and being neutral are kind of at odds with each other, but we do need a bit of both, so it helps to occasionally have a few that swing towards character.
Attachments
arbiterThoughts.png
arbiterThoughts.png (174.04 KiB) Viewed 16319 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Mmmh...It does look a lot better, I have to admit. Since I vectorized the linework, distorting the vectorized lines could allow for both a quick work and clean result. I might just as well give it a try.
My apologies to earlier commentators who expressed the same critic yet were turned down : I swear this is not a matter of titles. In the end, seeing the fix in an actual picture is what really changed my mind. :oops:
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

LordBob wrote: My apologies to earlier commentators who expressed the same critic yet were turned down : I swear this is not a matter of titles. In the end, seeing the fix in an actual picture is what really changed my mind. :oops:
I like your Attitude.
Your work aswell though I haven't anything substantial to add yet. :mrgreen:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I like your take on the drakes! Nice to see how you interpret and incorporate tsi's design!

No technical criticism, but something about his proportions strikes me as cute. The oversized head in combination with the tiny hands makes me want to cuddle him :oops:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

kitty wrote:No technical criticism, but something about his proportions strikes me as cute. The oversized head in combination with the tiny hands makes me want to cuddle him :oops:
Ah ? I knew something in my design didn't go exactly as planned... :hmm: :roll:
When I studied them, I thought different drake units could have evolved differently. For instance, "ground" drakes of the clasher line would have acquired massive features since they have forsaken flight and often have to endure severe wounds when their cousins can fly themselves to safety (hence the large head, with t-rex-like proportions). Whereas "flyers" would have evolved into a lighter frame, with a elongated neck for a better use of ther flame.

Anyway, that's my two cents about drakes. I'm not promising I won't do more of them in the future :mrgreen:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

NB: the Clasher line can fly, if they take of their armour. There's no biological reason for them not to be able to fly or breathe fire, it's down to the armour.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

It's a great drawing, but I can't shake the feeling that his arms seems kinda stubby
Creative Commons Fantasy Portrait Marathon!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... t-marathon
Skater-Girl

Post by Skater-Girl »

look more like a dinosaur with wings ...