Ideas for a UI facelift

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
X-Site

Re: Ideas for a UI facelift

Post by X-Site »

Really nice. Decorative but not irritating.
I like that stuff. :)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Thanks X-Site!

As no one seems to have found anything glaringly wrong with the window graphics, I'm going to leave them be for now and move on to the main interface (i.e. top/sidebar). Not sure what to do yet though.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

We really need to convince Mordante/SkeletonCrew to implement full support for this shiny stuff ASAP. :wink:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Max

Post by Max »

the borders are a bit expensive in terms of space needed, but this really looks great.

i wonder if there's some free tool that could be (mis)used to design the new ui. something that let's you place rectangles, assign certain values, (maybe also define relationship) - and converting this to wml afterwards. doing this manually is really boring.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

A ~24 px window border might be excessive for a normal OS interface theme, but for a game, no. It's not like you have to fit several ingame windows on the screen anyway, they only show up one at a time. Besides, Wesnoth is not a demanding game. You can easily up your resolution a notch if you think things look cramped.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

The querstion now is not IF it will go into mainline, but WHEN. When this comes out, I'm going to be one of the first in line. :P You devs are simply amazing.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

West wrote:Thanks X-Site!

As no one seems to have found anything glaringly wrong with the window graphics, I'm going to leave them be for now and move on to the main interface (i.e. top/sidebar). Not sure what to do yet though.
Yeah, the current iteration of the windows is looking great. :D I look forward to whatever the the next item on the list is.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

What happened to this project? Some amazing stuff was happening here, and I hope that this project will soon resume!
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah! I was really hoping to see this done. :augh:
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

:D I love that emote :augh: Really sets the tone.
Necro thread aside I was also looking forward to a new UI. It's not that the current one isn't good, but better one would be fantastic.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Tet

Post by Tet »

There is an old concern of mine.
When I open a help box on a unit type the male and female version are above each other. this is wasting a lot of space on my screen which is very wide but not so high.

I made myself a combined image (male and female together) 380 pixel wide. It looks very nice. However using the interface to display 2 205 wide pictures on the same level would look very nice too.

Is that possible?
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'm pretty sure that within the GUI update, the 205x205 help portraits are going to be done away with entirely.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Attention bypassers, thread necromancy in progress ! (I wish we had a skull smiley for these occasions :mrgreen: )

Because this remarkable project seems to have fallen into oblivion, and since recent work with Fabi on the editor involves an increasing amount of graphic work anyway, I am going to pick it up where it was left. I will make minor changes to West's windows designs so that they remain consistent with further evolutions of the UI, but altogether what I'm planning won't be much different from what was previously proposed.

First thing, background research. These textures would serve for the main screen panels, and possibly the opaque dialog windows. While sticking to the "dark neutral theme" seems to have been the consensus so far, I'd like to introduce an ever-so-slight touch of colour. I've also included a sample button to check the contrast (yeah, buttons might get a bit cleaner, but other than that I'll keep the established "blue-and-gold"scheme, if only to allow a progressive transition from old to new graphic elements.)

Let me know what you think.
Attachments
UI-editor-templates-background-samples.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I prefer ebony, for the color itself and because it has the most (in my opinion) contrast with the blue of the button.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

If you're intending to seriously rehaul the entire game UI, then here's some planning i had for the ingame screen: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35589 (less modular than the current panels, & very heavily icon-based as opposed to the current (translatable, otherwise unpredictable & unorganizable) keyword-based). I ran out of steam there mostly because I figured such a change should come together with a change to the entire UI in wesnoth, and that task seemed to big to be fun.

Anyway Tinted Leather looks really bad to me - a bit like one of those artifacts that i don't know a name for that come with bad resampling. I don't like Tinted Grey either, the other 3 look great to me.