Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesband 0.4.2, now with 4 players

Post by Anonymissimus »

silene wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:I guess you uninstalled the addon, hence preventing the engine from fulfilling the requirement when loading savegames.
I did.
It's consistent with the fact that some savegames and start-of-scenario saves don't produce that error message.

So both issues are caused by wlp.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

I just spent a couple of hours playing. I never passed the first level... :oops: but I'm bound and determined to do it with a solo human fighter... one of these days.

Awesome job, guys! This is really shaping up into a fun, unique and rather polished game. :)

I loved the "X hears some noise" and "Bob the Goblin notices you" sorts of messages. Adds a great deal to the rogue-like feel.

Keep up the good work! :)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Glad you liked it, Dov! I've found if you want to go solo as a human fighter, you need to start a game with enough health pots in the tavern. Also, don't forget you only start with torso armor, so equip the rest of what you need as soon as you kill for it.

EDIT: Just gave it a shot myself and succeeded (to clear the first level) on the first try. Just had to use a few potions and stay safe. I didn't even get any useful items past a leather cap and leather leggings.
MCP

Post by MCP »

It's all about experiencing how to play it safe, that is DON'T die, because time is generally not a factor in rogue-likes, other than one's own impatience.

edit: And after giving my advice I die to the first 'boss' I run into. All in the details!
PS I only had two healing pots available...
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

re: playing safe, that's dead on. And funner than just plowing through everything without thought (as you can do in the first several levels with warrior classes in some other roguelikes).

And the potions help tremendously. :) I've made it to level 5 now with my human soldier, using and abusing lots of poor henchmen. Having a high-moves henchman act as a forward scout (and sacrificial lamb if necessary) helps a lot.

The balancing of creatures seems spot-on so far. And the variety is cool. :) I'm loving this!

A few suggestions, coming back to the game after a long absence:
- I've never *not* wanted to pick up gold when moving onto it, or 'get all items' when on multiple things. I wonder if that could be an automatic, default action if no monsters are near/active, or possibly a setting that could be toggle or some such? It would be nice time-saver. A 'sell all unequipped' as a store option would be handy also.
- I felt the lack of a comprehensive 'character sheet'-type display--though perhaps the 'upgrade' display + the right-side character info serve well enough once one is more familiar with the game.
- Being a stat fiend, I think it would be fun to have a score system as most roguelikes do. And to have stats that show things like the number of monsters killed, bosses killed, gold collected, items sold, henchmen killed, etc. Very unimportant stuff, and not worth it if it slowed things down noticeably. But hey, I like stats. :)
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Known bugs
-there are some instances where units are unstoring when they shouldn't be, or something along those lines. Exasperation put up an error message for when this happens. Hopefully it won't break the game, but it should give you that error message. If anyone can pin down when exactly this happens, that will make our job easier.
I've seen this twice, each time right after coming out of the upgrading menu after doing an upgrade (I don't recall which).
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Dovolente wrote:- I've never *not* wanted to pick up gold when moving onto it, or 'get all items' when on multiple things. I wonder if that could be an automatic, default action if no monsters are near/active, or possibly a setting that could be toggle or some such? It would be nice time-saver. A 'sell all unequipped' as a store option would be handy also.
Yeah, I've thought about all that stuff too. There are several ways out, including destroying most of the equipment when a unit dies, but I'm not really set on any of them. I think, for now, the beta release will just have small annoyances such as this.
Dovolente wrote:- I felt the lack of a comprehensive 'character sheet'-type display--though perhaps the 'upgrade' display + the right-side character info serve well enough once one is more familiar with the game.
Same as above. I'd love to do something like this but I'd just have to go back and change it each time new things are introduced.
Dovolente wrote:- Being a stat fiend, I think it would be fun to have a score system as most roguelikes do. And to have stats that show things like the number of monsters killed, bosses killed, gold collected, items sold, henchmen killed, etc. Very unimportant stuff, and not worth it if it slowed things down noticeably. But hey, I like stats. :)
That's a good idea. I'm not an "overall score" kind of guy, but stats of individual occurrences stored somewhere would be neat. I'm not sure, however, what is the best way to display it. Maybe on a last breath event (barring magical protection from death). Anyway, this is definitely going on the 'to-do in the future' pile.
Dovolente wrote:I've seen this twice, each time right after coming out of the upgrading menu after doing an upgrade (I don't recall which).
Thanks. We actually just squashed this but I wanted to take care of a couple small things before the next release, since it's not actually breaking the game.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

So I finally got around to playing Wesband again, and its better than ever! :D

I am playing solo with a dwarvish fighter and 2 henchmen. It was tricky until I got the right method of scouting and fighting figured out. I like that potions are more expensive and fewer in number than before. The new potions are interesting, too.

I think the revised leveling up system prevents fast, massive power gains, which is good. So far I've mostly bought my equipment after selling lots and lots of crappy drops.

I did get one error during my second session:
Spoiler:
I forgot if someone else posted that error or not, but there it is.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
MCP

Post by MCP »

Before I report a crash, I played a human, had a lot of fun. Except for first level difficulties which I restarted several times, I finally made it to level two by scouting properly in level 1. Once that occurred, I was able to continue down the dungeon unperterbed. Do not under-estimate the power of a well.

I have managed to crash wesnoth while playing wesband.

In wesnoth 1.8.1 I was playing a game. I think it was level 7 to level 8. If I went to town and then tried to go back down, it would crash. If I did stuff after clearing the level, except going down, it would crash. I managed to leave some items behind and get down to level 8. Then after clearing lvl 8 the same thing occurred.

I tried level 8 down to level 9 in both wesnoth 1.8.1 and 1.8.2 from the same saved games.

Attachment:
Kill the necro, the level clears. End turn.
1. Now try to 'go down'. Works on mine.
2. Now try to collect items, or even just move one hex, and then 'go down'. Mine crashes. Repeatable.
3. Now try to go up to town, and then immediately 'go down'. Mine crashes. Repeatable.
Attachments
Wesband_Dungeon-Auto-Save22.gz
All starts from here.
(510.9 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I may have found a bug. I leveled up a Brute (a level 0 tavern recruit) and I got the choice of either a Thug or a Heavy Infantryman. I chose the HI and it froze.

stderr gave me this:
Spoiler:

MCP

Post by MCP »

Infinite loop and memory leak bug in attached wesband save.
Wesband 0.4.1, Wesnoth 1.8.2, Mac OS X 10.5.8.

I think it might have to do with an orcish archer leveling nearby. Once I somehow managed to move north east and I saw an orc fighting some level 3 creature and it was 3 xp away from leveling. I saw it survive an attack and the leveling animation froze half way through.

Instructions to reproduce:
1. Kill both enemies near by. I just stand on the well.
2. End turn once they are dead.
3. Should be infinitely looping, using all of one cpu and eating up memory FAST.
Attachments
Wesband_Dungeon-Auto-Save14.gz
(534.43 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

That same half-way through leveling freeze is what happened to my brute when he leveled.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Thanks for the report, guys. This one was hard to hammer out. I got an occasional infinite leveling loop that would happen, but then I would tweak a few things and it would go away. As Exasperation put it when he told me his issues with it, "It works until it doesn't." I was hoping it would just go away, but, since it hasn't, I'll go back into testing it.
Rocier

Post by Rocier »

we had a bit o trouble in a game yesterday. We leveled a white mage, but he wouldnt heal. If you are supposed to manually cast it, we couldnt figure out how. Also, the addon server has v4.1 up, where do i get 4.2?
MCP

Post by MCP »

Ken_Oh wrote:
Dovolente wrote:- I've never *not* wanted to pick up gold when moving onto it, or 'get all items' when on multiple things. I wonder if that could be an automatic, default action if no monsters are near/active, or possibly a setting that could be toggle or some such? It would be nice time-saver. A 'sell all unequipped' as a store option would be handy also.
Yeah, I've thought about all that stuff too. There are several ways out, including destroying most of the equipment when a unit dies, but I'm not really set on any of them. I think, for now, the beta release will just have small annoyances such as this.
I thought about this for a moment and realized the important part of picking up items is the right click menu synchronizing everyone. Without the right click menu I wonder if it is possible that players over a network will become out of sync in some cases.