Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Ageless Era - Released Version 4.2.2

Post by inferno8 »

I'm heartily fed up with it.

Mnewton1, I allowed you to use my era a long time ago and now I regret it. After reading some posts in this thread I find that people still think, that my very hard work is yours. To be perfectly honest I must say that this drives me mad and I won't tolerate this any longer. Do something with "your" fans.

Maybe you should start with something "easy"? I suggest you to resign from being an author of your era and replace the author entry in add-ons list with "various". The same should go to your avatar. You claim, that you're a creator, but it's only partially true. You've only put some factions and eras into one. In my humble opinion the word "maintainer" is more appropriate here. Also I demand you to put a sentence at the end of each unit's description, telling from which era it comes from. I suggest using capital letters, because it will make the whole effect more noticeable.

If it is too much for you, then I want you to remove ALL EoMa units from "your" era as soon as possible. Of course you don't have to do that, because everything is under GPL, but I hope you understand my anger.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

I think it would be better to just giving a warning message every start of a game that this are mixed era and not just mnewton's work. I'm pretty sure, you (Inferno8) aren't the only one hates all the guys thinking they have to give their "very good" suggestions this forum. I can't really understand anyway why you can think of doing that since you see at least the era of myths a lot of farer above. It's mentioned in the ageless era's decription and the two eras have completly different autors.

Edit:
Inferno8 wrote:Also I demand you to put a sentence at the end of each unit's description, telling from which era it comes from. I suggest using capital letters, because it will make the whole effect more noticeable.
Wonderful idea. At the start of my UMC games, I used this era to find the good eras without having to download everything I see there. But it wasn't easy to find the right era for the right faction. I think this would be a very helpful feature. THE WHOLE SENTENCE DON'T HAVE TO BE WRITTEN IN CAPITAL LETTERS SINCE IT GETS DIFFICULT TO READ, LIKE YOU SEE HERE. BETTER WOULD BE, TO HAVE A COLOUR BEING A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER TEXT: With that, it keeps enjoyable reading it, you still take a look at it first and you can even isolate one more time. I even predicate you'll notice another colour earlier than just other (capital) letters than usual. I imagine it the way you write a little sentence explaining in which faction and in which era this unit is and the NAME of the era is written in capital letters. For the colour itself, I imagine grey but as far as I know, it isn't possible.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Even though I don,t readily remember what it says, there's a big block of text at the beginning of any game featuring Ageless Era. I presume nobody reads it, though, as mnewton1 surely isn't attributing all the merit to himself in it. Maybe there could be a way to just make it more user friendly or something?

Also, it could be replaced (or better yet, having a second block of text?) that tells you what faction you are playing, which era it is drawn from, and possibly who the authors of the era are. If it could be screen-centered, it would be even better. I dunno if any of this is possible, though, but having a second, concise message giving this information could help. And if it is centered/big/short enough, the average player just won't have the choice to read it as he closes it. It could be a solution.

Also, adding it to unit descriptions could be a solution too, as inferno8 said.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'll admit I was getting a little bit irked about this era as well, but for slightly different reasons. Bug reports having to do with Archaic Era factions (it's not limited to those, but I don't know as much about the other eras) make it look like Archaic Era is buggier crap than it already is.

I know it is not trivial to manually stay up-to-date with all of the eras, and then make sure any updates from different authors don't step on each other. Making the original eras dependencies would solve the up-to-date problem, but there could still be conflicts.

Maybe Thrawn's idea solves everything. Mnewton1 could pull his favorite factions/units out of an given era and make one or two factions out of that, for something like two factions per era. It would still be a big era, but it would be more creative, much easier to maintain, and it would be less redundant.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dream_Merchant

Post by Dream_Merchant »

Maybe Thrawn's idea solves everything. Mnewton1 could pull his favorite factions/units out of an given era and make one or two factions out of that, for something like two factions per era. It would still be a big era, but it would be more creative, much easier to maintain, and it would be less redundant.
And it would defeat the purpose for Ageless Era which is nothing (and everything) else than a grand compilation of all (workable) eras and factions.

As for the Creator/Maintainer and credit/update thing.. we don't need to rediscover the wheel. It is analogous to the difference between an Author and an Encyclopedic. The Encyclopedic compiles information from various Authors, citing sources, and maintains the encyclopedia by keeping it up to date with newer editions. Also the Encyclopedic sometimes intervenes directly to add a correction rather than quoting sic.

I suggest we all try to make this work. I find Ageless Era the best thing after sliced toast and I would hate to see it radically changed.
IPS

Post by IPS »

If you download Ageless era Inferno8 you can see in the right lade of the faction's name a abbreviation of the era what contains it.

Examples:
Devlings - EoM
Chaos - EE
Kthons - Archaric
Free Saurians - Era of Strife (EoS)

You can see of what era from the factions. You can check right now to see ;)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote:If you download Ageless era Inferno8 you can see in the right lade of the faction's name a abbreviation of the era what contains it.
And what? It hasn't solved the problem since my last intervention here (a few months ago).
Creator of Era of Magic

fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

IPS wrote:If you download Ageless era Inferno8 you can see in the right lade of the faction's name a abbreviation of the era what contains it.

Examples:
Devlings - EoM
Chaos - EE
Kthons - Archaric
Free Saurians - Era of Strife (EoS)

You can see of what era from the factions. You can check right now to see ;)
And what is "EoM", "EE", "Archaic[missing: era]" and these like? -If you don't know the eras, you don't know all these shurtcuts and can't find it on the add-on servers. Yes, mnewton could write "Dark blood aliance - Era of Magic (Inferno8)" but it's pretty to big. Better move it to unit's descriptions.

Edit:
Dixie wrote:Even though I don,t readily remember what it says, there's a big block of text at the beginning of any game featuring Ageless Era. I presume nobody reads it, though, as mnewton1 surely isn't attributing all the merit to himself in it. Maybe there could be a way to just make it more user friendly or something?

Also, it could be replaced (or better yet, having a second block of text?) that tells you what faction you are playing, which era it is drawn from, and possibly who the authors of the era are. If it could be screen-centered, it would be even better. I dunno if any of this is possible, though, but having a second, concise message giving this information could help. And if it is centered/big/short enough, the average player just won't have the choice to read it as he closes it. It could be a solution. [...]
That's also a good idea. I'm for making a second block of text being very short. I imagine it this way:

you are playing
faction: kharos
era: Era of Magic
autor: Inferno8
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Besides, Mnewton1 should add to his signature links to all eras' and factions' threads. This would help others to post their ideas in a proper forum without searching.
Creator of Era of Magic

mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas. I had been meaning to change up some of these things. The "mnewton1" to "various" didn't even occur to me. I have changed that.

I was working in redoing the first message before you(inferno8) posted so thanks for the ideas.

I am now trying to implement the idea of adding a "You are playing the ****** faction from the era ******** made by *******" to my era. I am just trying to find the most effective way to do so. Any thoughts on how to do this WML wise? What I am currently trying out is a select even that will tell you what faction was selected, what side it is, what era it is from, and who the author(s) is.

Adding a message to every unit description is doable but it will take longer than all of these. I have to do it manually and every time I update a faction I will have to do it again. There are over 1000 unit in Ageless Era so It will take awhile. I am going to have a large amount of time on my hand next week though so I will give it a shot then if not sooner.

I cannot use Thrawn's idea of an era with only selected factions as a replacement. I could use it as an alternate version of Ageless Era, but not as a replacement. As Dream_Merchant said, it would entirely defeat the purpose of it. It was meant to be a combination of all the greatest era and factions.

Am I forgetting anything?
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

inferno8 wrote:Besides, Mnewton1 should add to his signature links to all eras' and factions' threads. This would help others to post their ideas in a proper forum without searching.
I'm not sure if it's the right place. But you are right, a link list for every faction would be really useful.
mnewton wrote:I am now trying to implement the idea of adding a "You are playing the ****** faction from the era ******** made by *******" to my era. I am just trying to find the most effective way to do so. Any thoughts on how to do this WML wise? What I am currently trying out is a select even that will tell you what faction was selected, what side it is, what era it is from, and who the author(s) is.
I don't think there's a possibility to do it without asking for faction alone since the name of the factions aren't saved in a game, as far as I know. Even if it hurts, you'll have to do it this way:

Code: Select all

#define AE_FACTIONS_TO_SHOW RECRUIT FACTION ERA AUTOR
  [if]
    [variable]
      name=$temp.recruit
      contains={RECRUIT}
    [/variable]
    [then]
       {DEBUG_MSG "{FACTION}, {ERA} and {AUTOR}
    [/then]
  [/if]
#enddef

[event]
  name=start
  [store_side]
    side=$side_number
    variable=temp
  [/store_side]
[/event]
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

mnewton1 wrote:Adding a message to every unit description is doable but it will take longer than all of these. I have to do it manually and every time I update a faction I will have to do it again. There are over 1000 unit in Ageless Era so It will take awhile.
I think it would probably be enough to put it in the race descriptions.

I'd consider a right-click [set_menu_item] used in a similar way to fog_of_gold's idea. Folks might get annoyed with extra pop-up messages at every start.
mnewton1 wrote:every time I update a faction I will have to do it again.
Along those lines, how important is it to have everything actually in Ageless Era. If you made the other eras dependencies, you could use [base_unit] in the Ageless unit versions, I'd think that would make maintenance much easier. And it would make the file smaller.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Thanks fog_of_gold. I can't add a list to my description because of the character limit, but I will probably add it to the first post when I redo it. Also, thanks for the code but I couldn't get it to work. Can you give me a working, tested example?

doofus-01 wrote:I think it would probably be enough to put it in the race descriptions.
Yay, I agree.

doofus-01 wrote:I'd consider a right-click [set_menu_item] used in a similar way to fog_of_gold's idea. Folks might get annoyed with extra pop-up messages at every start.
So you think I should have a set menu item that would display a message about the current factions that are being played? I can probably do that.

doofus-01 wrote:Along those lines, how important is it to have everything actually in Ageless Era. If you made the other eras dependencies, you could use [base_unit] in the Ageless unit versions, I'd think that would make maintenance much easier. And it would make the file smaller.
I could probably do that but I won't. The first reason is that... well I really don't want to. I feel as though it defeats the point of Ageless Era. Also, anybody with basic WML knowledge and an hour or 2 can do it. The second reason is I have put so much work into it that I don't want to just throw all of it away. It would be like building a rocket then destroying everything except the gas.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

mnewton1 wrote:Thanks fog_of_gold. I can't add a list to my description because of the character limit, but I will probably add it to the first post when I redo it. Also, thanks for the code but I couldn't get it to work. Can you give me a working, tested example?[...]
It wasn't meant to work, it was meant to show you how you do it. I noticed what I made wrong: I forgot to close the {DEBUG_MSG} macro:

{DEBUG_MSG "{FACTION}, {ERA} and {AUTOR}
should be

{DEBUG_MSG "{FACTION}, {ERA} and {AUTOR}"}
And then with a description.
Unfortunatly, I've no time to give you a tested, working version but if you are patient, I could get time next weekend. But I'm not sure about it.
@doofus-01:
If you don't take a look at the ageless era's description, you won't notice that. Then better leave it out.
seb

Post by seb »

Chaos unit upgrades are broken. They're all missing the "AE" in the "advances to" line.

The Taming ability of the Brungar Tamers causes OOS errors.