ffa ethics

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

darksaurian

ffa ethics

Post by darksaurian »

Are there ethics in ffa? My take on it was there are no rules and if other guy is a jerk then it just something you have to deal with. What if 1v1v1 and guy tell you "Join me to defeat other guy or else I attack only you and we both lose!" And then say you ignore him and attack him and then he attack only you and you both lose.

Is the guy who ruined game by attacking only you breaking any code of conduct? I don't think so. I think it is just part of ffa game and goal is to threaten and manipulate. Maybe next time I play with him I know he really will be a jerk so I try working with him to defeat other guy and only then turn on each other. It just seem to me that dealing with irrational player and backstabber is part of ffa. Am I wrong?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: ffa ethics

Post by Sapient »

I find that having more than three teams cuts down on the potential impact of such tactics. If he starts off by suiciding himself then, he would not be handing the game to anyone in particular.

Three-teamed games are, in my opinion, some kind of unhappy arrangement that lies in limbo between 1v1 and a true FFA. It may seem balanced, but as you noted, it's not.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I can't find the quote now, but legendary strategist Zhuge Liang is cited to have said something along the lines of "a tripartite confrontation is the most unstable out of all possibilities."
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

There's a clan with an opinion on this.

Three team games are generally awkward because the first player to seriously attack loses, as does the person he attacked.

In your situation, what I suggest is to agree to what he says, but don't really make much of an effort against the third player and position yourself to betray your erstwhile ally and deal him a critical blow when the opportunity arises.

Alternatively, tell the third player about his threat and see if you can get the third player to attack him and leave you alone. You'll probably still lose, but you will probably come in second instead of third.
darksaurian

Post by darksaurian »

This good advice but this not what I mean. I mean say guy does this stuff, makes threat, then attacks only the one guy. Then guy who loses says, "No fair, no fair! This not a good game or test of skill!" Can he report to mods? Are any rules broke? I think that because it is ffa then anything goes and anyone who complain not understand ffa. But maybe I am wrong, that's why I ask. Maybe there is ethics that we supposed to follow.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Caphriel wrote:Three team games are generally awkward because the first player to seriously attack loses, as does the person he attacked.
Right on.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

darksaurian wrote:This good advice but this not what I mean. I mean say guy does this stuff, makes threat, then attacks only the one guy. Then guy who loses says, "No fair, no fair! This not a good game or test of skill!" Can he report to mods? Are any rules broke? I think that because it is ffa then anything goes and anyone who complain not understand ffa. But maybe I am wrong, that's why I ask. Maybe there is ethics that we supposed to follow.
To the best of my knowledge, no he can't report anything to the mods, nor were server rules broken. Unless someone was verbally abusive. Three-sided free-for-alls are not good games or tests of skill, but by playing one, you've decided to play in spite of that, now haven't you?
darksaurian

Post by darksaurian »

Yes.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

So, join the N3T and convince the world of the evils of 3-team games!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I've had the same experience for most of my life... two brothers. Three guys want to play laser guns, no friends around... how do you do it? So I can agree that 3p matches aren't much fun (and yes, I have participated in a few).

*artisticdude joins the N3T
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
darksaurian

Post by darksaurian »

What? Last two posts not understand me at all. I LIKE 3 player ffa. I understand maybe not good test of skill, it more like politics. It about trying to be the guy who isn't attacked and taking advantage of situation or manipulating other guy with chat. Usually I like standard game but ffa is fun change now and then.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

darksaurian wrote:What? Last two posts not understand me at all. I LIKE 3 player ffa. I understand maybe not good test of skill, it more like politics. It about trying to be the guy who isn't attacked and taking advantage of situation or manipulating other guy with chat. Usually I like standard game but ffa is fun change now and then.
Its not about politics; its about pure simple luck or backhanded-ness. As stated above 3 player FFAs basically just follows the same pattern: player one attacks player two, and player three wins. It kinda sucks if you're player two, you're an idiot if you're player one, and its a cheap victory if you're player three. Not one player has anything to take pride in.

People who play with me know I LOVE politics in FFA games, this however is not that.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
darksaurian

Post by darksaurian »

What wrong with taking pride in cheap victory?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Taking pride in something you did not earn is neither tactful (if you talk about it in public) nor sensible (if you believe it for yourself).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

If you're player 2, you might as well play "pass the ball". Tell player 3 that he'll have to attack player 1 or else you'll just give player 1 all your villages without fighting and attack player 3 instead, thus giving the advantage to player 1.

Dunno if it would work, but seems better than defending vs player 1 and allowing player 3 to just sit there and finish whichever remains.