Does Battle for Wesnoth has an upgrade system?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Derek

Does Battle for Wesnoth has an upgrade system?

Post by Derek »

I was trying to upgrade my BfW from version 1.8.0 to 1.8.2, but, for being my first attempt, the best solution I find was to download the new version and install it in the same folder of the BfW 1.8.0. The result was a mess in the BfW folder, aside the confusion it caused to load my save games, so this get me wondering if it have some type of system to upgrade the BfW, instead of downloading the new version and overwriting it in the BfW folder. :?
Do someone know if something like this "upgrade system" exists, and, if it exists, how it function?
monochromatic

Re: Does Battle for Wesnoth has an upgrade system?

Post by monochromatic »

I think there's one in the workings, but I'm not sure about the progress.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No, there isn't one, and installing in the same directory is likely to break your install. Download the new version, install it, and delete the old version.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Endless

Post by Endless »

so wesnoth can't update itself? :(
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Apparently not...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I don't think such a feature would be practical anyway, as some users have more than one version of Wesnoth on their system (in order to play older add-ons that haven't been ported to the latest version). If there was an update button that just overwrote the older version, it could potentially write over all the older versions on your system.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The main challenge with applying updates for Wesnoth directly is that your saved games, replays, and downloaded add-ons will not work correctly with the new version. While there is a wmllint program which helps some with upgrading add-ons, there is no such program for upgrading saved games or replays (although I did write one in the past, it was very specialized for a specific conversion and it would be far more difficult to maintain a general purpose one... consider that unit statistics, required scenario encounters, and even underlying game mechanics may have changed).
In addition, it would need to delete all the previous core data .CFG files that were removed from the new version and thus aren't overwritten. That last problem in and of itself isn't too difficult, but combined with the other problems means that you have essentially just preserved nothing from the previous installation, other than the preferences file.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I don't have problem with installing, I just hate downloading files bigger than 10 mb. Maybe there is a way to make a path or something? You know, a package with updated files only would be nice. :)
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Well an upgrade system in the same branch would be practical right?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Dunno wrote:I just hate downloading files bigger than 10 mb. Maybe there is a way to make a path or something?
I assume you meant "patch". Sourceforge hosts an xdelta patch to upgrade each version, which is usually less than 10mb. You just have to keep up with the patches as they come out, or it gets to be a lot of trouble. I can't download something as large as Wesnoth (I'm using satellite Internet), so I install the newest patch every month or so.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Xdelta patches are only provided for the source tarballs. Binaries don't deltify very well.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Dunno wrote:I just hate downloading files bigger than 10 mb.
For wesnoth on Linux (package manager) it is possible to download only the core of the game with a few mainline campaigns - or even none at all, if someone only wants to play in multiplayer. This reduces downloadsize greatly (e.g. the music files sometimes aren't neccessary), could something like this be provided for win users ? Splitting up in parts which I want or don't want. Maybe the full installer as usual for "double click on the exe" guys, and zip packages for people who want to download less stuff (but they need to invest time to install manually then.)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

I think it's worth noting that most of the time, there's almost no point in downloading the very next update, especially if it's a maintenance update, and especially if you don't play the campaigns, which are the main things that seem to be tweaked in maintenance updates. I may be wrong.

The reason for this is that the server is a plateau of sorts for the current, stable version of Wesnoth. That means whether you have version 1.8.0, 1.8.2, or 1.8.3, you're still using the 1.8 server, and any add-ons you have installed (that were ported to 1.8 ) should all work fine, even if you update them. IMO this is much more preferable than downloading nearly 300 MB of a new version of Wesnoth, and having to re-download all your add-ons for the newer version (for instance going from 1.8.3 to 1.8.4).

It might be possible to simply copy your entire add-on directory over to the new version. That just might work, but I haven't tried it.
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Cybermouse wrote:It might be possible to simply copy your entire add-on directory over to the new version. That just might work, but I haven't tried it.
Won't work, WML has been changed as well as folder names (in fact, in svn they seem to not even use .wesnoth1.x anymore)
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Unnheulu wrote:
Cybermouse wrote:It might be possible to simply copy your entire add-on directory over to the new version. That just might work, but I haven't tried it.
Won't work, WML has been changed as well as folder names (in fact, in svn they seem to not even use .wesnoth1.x anymore)
Between versions of the same stable line (so, for example 1.8.0, 1.8.1, 1.8.2, 1.8.3, 1.8.4) this should work, as they are compatible apart from bug fixes.