Wesnoth on Steam

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Flanjygo

Wesnoth on Steam

Post by Flanjygo »

I just had an idea of putting Wesnoth on Steam. I think it would be a good way of getting exposure for the project similar to the iPhone and iPad ports. Wesnoth is already available for PC and Mac (and Linux which may be supported by Steam in the future) so the hard work is already done.

Considering the fact that Steam is technically a store, Wesnoth could be priced at $.99 like the iPhone/iPad version, or it could be free as it already is. Because Steam handles all updates and installs for the user, the price could be easily justified (I would pay for it) and the money can be used to help fund further development.

So that's my idea, let me know what you think of it whether it's a good idea or bad one and how plausible it is.
norbert

Re: Wesnoth on Steam

Post by norbert »

Flanjygo wrote:I just had an idea of putting Wesnoth on Steam.
Reminds me of...
- Steam Availability?
- Proposal--Wesnoth on Impulse? (Windows only, it seems.)
(Personally, I don't like proprietary software. No way I'll install Steam or something similar.)
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

So what, price it for $0.99 on Steam, yet include a link to where you can download it for free in the description?
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Flanjygo wrote:(and Linux which may be supported by Steam in the future)
Considering that most Linux distributions already include Wesnoth? :roll:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Flanjygo

Post by Flanjygo »

Zachron wrote:So what, price it for $0.99 on Steam, yet include a link to where you can download it for free in the description?
That, or make it available for free even on Steam. Doesn't matter to me, I'm just throwing the idea out there.
shadowmaster wrote:Considering that most Linux distributions already include Wesnoth? :roll:
What I meant was that Steam doesn't support Linux yet, but there are hints that it probably will in the future.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I know.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

I'd pay $1 just for an auto-update feature
Founding Father of Columbia
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Eh, there are already a couple (maybe 2 or 3) games on Steam that are free.
And I do believe Steam should have more free games...
But, That's the thing, I don't think there should be too many free games on Steam.
If you put wesnoth on there people might start thinking about putting more and more open-source things up on there, which in my opinion is not a good thing.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

JackBarber wrote:Eh, there are already a couple (maybe 2 or 3) games on Steam that are free.
And I do believe Steam should have more free games...
But, That's the thing, I don't think there should be too many free games on Steam.
If you put wesnoth on there people might start thinking about putting more and more open-source things up on there, which in my opinion is not a good thing.
Why do you not want more (or "too many") free things there? Why do you think it is not a good thing?

(I do know about nothing about Steam.)