Favorite freeware game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Favorite freeware game

Post by Gambit »

Why did you bump this when we have an almost identical, much more recent, thread in off topic?
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Gambit wrote:Why did you bump this when we have an almost identical, much more recent, thread in off topic?
WE DO?!Sorry. :(
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Yes.
edit: I see you've found it now, but I'll leave this here for future people.
Euthanatos93

Post by Euthanatos93 »

That's not the same. That's a discussion of games in general whereas this is a discussion of free games. Although, it could be said this thread belongs in that category.

All of the games I play have already been mentioned except Haven & Hearth. Which, I actually no longer play. It's a free game with the client being Open Source but not the server/engine. It's an alpha stage, 2D, Java, sandbox MMORPG with PK anywhere and Permadeath. It's a low-fantasy as inno overt magic other than teleportation which exists as an essential game function to be later replaced by non-smacking-of-magic functions. It has a (very loose) norse/germanic/slavic late bronze to early iron age setting. It is quite intensely political and addicting.

There is also The Mana World which I played for a short time a long time ago which is an alpha stage fully open source 2D MMO inspired by classic console RPGs. It has a lot of potential to be something if the project ever goes anywhere but it's development is excruciatingly slow if active and I never found it to have any truly engaging gameplay yet particularly as PvP doesn't exist....yet.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Gambit wrote:Yes.
edit: I see you've found it now, but I'll leave this here for future people.
Ah, but see, that thread is about favorite games period, which could be anything from tabletop games, to sport, to commercial video games… Here, the theme is specifically freeware/shareware games, which pretty much narrows it down… :wink:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

General is better imo, but I digress.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Additionally, OT threads disappear after a while, while this one will stay around.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Not sure where to post, but I hope this becomes one of my favorite games. New version of Free Orion released May 1st, 2010:
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page

Last time I tried to play it didn't seem to be playable, but maybe this time it will be.
em3

Post by em3 »

MCP wrote:Last time I tried to play it didn't seem to be playable, but maybe this time it will be.
Maybe. I wonder if someone actually downloads and sees for himself and then posts here. :annoyed:
ride on shooting star
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I must now say that I found my new favorite game. Desperate Space.
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

em3 wrote:
MCP wrote:Last time I tried to play it didn't seem to be playable, but maybe this time it will be.
Maybe. I wonder if someone actually downloads and sees for himself and then posts here. :annoyed:
I gotta say.. That was a pretty bitchy statement. I like it.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
em3

Post by em3 »

Don't get me wrong. I really hope that FreeOrion will turn out to be a great game. I loved Master of Orion 2 and enjoy things that are free.
ride on shooting star
MCP

Post by MCP »

MCP wrote: New version of Free Orion released May 1st, 2010:
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page
Well it appears to be more playable this time.

I spent some time on the quick start guide, which is no simple task. The game is still considered 'alpha' so I don't expect it to work. I'll just let you guys know I find the GUI non-intuitive so far and I can't seem to figure out how to attack ships. All I saw when my turn began is 'A battle at [insert place]', but I never saw an attack screen with ships on it like in MoO.

Hopefully with time it becomes more intuitive and more functional!
em3

Post by em3 »

MCP wrote:GUI non-intuitive so far and I can't seem to figure out how to attack ships. All I saw when my turn began is 'A battle at [insert place]', but I never saw an attack screen with ships on it like in MoO.
There is some combat prototype or demo available, IIRC, that shows you how, more or less, they plan the space combat to look like. Nothing playable yet, as far as combat goes.
ride on shooting star
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

em3 wrote:Don't get me wrong. I really hope that FreeOrion will turn out to be a great game. I loved Master of Orion 2 and enjoy things that are free.
Who doesn't enjoy things that are free. :)
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.