Super Mario Crossover

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Super Mario Crossover

Post by Ken_Oh »

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416

I, and I'm sure many other of the Nintendo Generation, dreamed about this game as a kid. Now it's real.
Issyl

Re: Super Mario Crossover

Post by Issyl »

Haha, okay, this was fun.

I played as Link.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Pfft. Link sucks. Megaman owns link any day.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

It looked great on the website.

EDIT: I just played it and it was awesome.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Nobody likes fat little Mario? :P

This reminds me very much of Super Tux, which means Super Tux must be heavily based on it. I've never played any Mario games before (I've always found them weird in the extreme), but this actually wasn't too bad. I personally would prefer better graphics, but that would detract from the retro feel. Sigh. Can't have everything.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I played as Samus. Samus is beast. Except hot.

Also, I like how each character retains their abilities from their games.

BTW, super tux was based on the original mario. It's actually almost exactly the same as mario.

Off-Topic: my first post in Game Development.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Yeah. Samus was good, but she can't drop bombs when she get the fire flower. Bill R is great, triple shoots are the best and mega man was pretty good too. I don't like link or mario(even tho he's the original character) and The guy from castlvania was in-between them all.

EDIT: By the guy from castlevania I mean Simon. :wink:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I couldn't use Simon. Controls were wonky- he wouldn't pivot when jumping and his jumps were too short. I got stuck between some vertical columns and I couldn't directionjump out of them so I gave up. I also felt his weapons were too weak...
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

That. Never happened to me. I didn't use him much tho. :hmm:
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Simon is definitely the "challenge mode" of the game, in the same way that Bill Rizer is the "easy mode". I got to 8-2 with Simon and then didn't make it halfway through that stage without losing all 9 of my lives.

Balance isn't a huge deal, as it's simply fun for those of us who wished we could play like this as kids.

But, as I've read from the developer's interviews, this is basically a demo version of a much bigger game like this. I can't wait.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Ken_Oh wrote:Simon is definitely the "challenge mode" of the game, in the same way that Bill Rizer is the "easy mode". I got to 8-2 with Simon and then didn't make it halfway through that stage without losing all 9 of my lives.
Good way to look at it.
Ken_Oh wrote:Balance isn't a huge deal, as it's simply fun for those of us who wished we could play like this as kids.
That's true. Now you can(minus megaman, bill an simon)with Smash Bros. Brawl.
Ken_Oh wrote:But, as I've read from the developer's interviews, this is basically a demo version of a much bigger game like this. I can't wait.
What kind of game? :hmm:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Huge Topic revival, I know but they(he) have released version 1.1

http://supermariobroscrossover.com/

They added Ryu, who isn't as awesome as he was in the trailer, and they modified some other characters. (I've only tried Ryu and Samus so far)

Don't use Megaman, he sucks now. (You have to use Rush and jump on top of him just to jump the normal height of other people)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

artisticdude wrote:Nobody likes fat little Mario? :P

This reminds me very much of Super Tux, which means Super Tux must be heavily based on it. I've never played any Mario games before (I've always found them weird in the extreme), but this actually wasn't too bad.
Super Tux is pretty much a complete, shameless clone of mario - such to the point that the developers should be ashamed of themselves.

artisticdude wrote:I personally would prefer better graphics, but that would detract from the retro feel. Sigh. Can't have everything.
Actually, more than being retro-styled, these graphics in this SMC are direct rips from the old nintendo games.

:hmm: Which of course is highly illegal. I'm personally wondering if/when they're gonna get a cease-and-desist.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Jetrel wrote:Super Tux is pretty much a complete, shameless clone of mario - such to the point that the developers should be ashamed of themselves.
SuperTux isn't that exact a clone; iirc it lacked a lot of defining Mario features - like the tubes. But what it had was directly taken from Mario. Which is even worse, of course! A dull game at any rate.
Jetryl wrote:Actually, more than being retro-styled, these graphics in this SMC are direct rips from the old nintendo games.

:hmm: Which of course is highly illegal. I'm personally wondering if/when they're gonna get a cease-and-desist.
Never, probably. The example that I like giving again and again is Wake Of Gods (a homm3 fan-made mod). It adds hundreds of pieces of stolen content from dozens of different sources, and I haven't heard of it ever being threatened. There's a very high threshold for famousness before you get threatened for stolen images/music. But for using a trademarked name in the title, the threshold is much lower.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Blarumyrran wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Actually, more than being retro-styled, these graphics in this SMC are direct rips from the old nintendo games.

Never, probably. The example that I like giving again and again is Wake Of Gods (a homm3 fan-made mod). It adds hundreds of pieces of stolen content from dozens of different sources, and I haven't heard of it ever being threatened. There's a very high threshold for famousness before you get threatened for stolen images/music. But for using a trademarked name in the title, the threshold is much lower.
Yeah. There are a lot of such mods out there - hell, if you look at the manual for "Fall from the heavens", practically every profile painting in there is ripped from some famous fantasy artist.

Anyways, one counter-example that comes to mind is "Chrono Resurrection", which rapidly got C&Ded by squaresoft. It was basically an exact clone of chrono trigger in 3d, which was a bit different as an example because although they weren't directly ripping any content, the whole thing was an exact copy in a different medium.

One future-example I'm really hoping does not get crushed, is this fighter game in the works. All of the sprite-art in this is amazing; it's all original spriting, none of it ripped (they're building the game using MUGEN - although MUGEN is usually detestable, they're obviating the one prime flaw of it by providing a base of consistent content). I mean, the level of polish these guys are going for blows my mind, since the lawyers could kick the door down any day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ePGaDh ... re=related
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!