The Goblins' Finest Hour

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

The Goblins' Finest Hour

Post by Hulavuta »

I hope I am the first one to do this, but I have successfully played a human vs ai game with 100 gold each against drakes, and I have won using ONLY GOBLIN SPEARMEN.

The only unit I had that was not a goblin was my leader, but he never attacked and only moved off of the keep to grab a village at the beginning. I DID NOT CHEAT WHATSOEVER EXCEPT FOR A FEW SAVE-LOADS. Which I hope isn't a big deal.

This battle was fairly good, I purposely picked Drakes as the enemy because of Pierce weakness, but once the Ambushers arrived, I had a bit of trouble. The key to winning this battle was to advance Gobos into Rousers, who make up for the melee attack bonus with extra HP and leadership, which is a necessity in using only gobos. The Impalers also have a ranged attack, but that is kind of worthless considering the enemies I was facing. The Goblins' crappy traits combined with the sun made me really wary. I won by sending a few guys over to the right to starve their villages, which is key against drakes. By then, the Drake leader came out to fight, and I attacked him with two Goblins. He killed both and then retreated to a village, where I sent a bunch of rousers and an Impaler to eliminate him once and for all.

VICTORY!!!!
Attachments
2p_-_Hamlets_replay.gz
HUZZAH!!
(24.97 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Icarusvogel

Re: The Goblins' Finest Hour

Post by Icarusvogel »

Downloaded. Wesnoth - load quicker, please...
Loading game...
Off we go!

This is going to be fun.

If the stupid game would load!?

Loaded! Whee!

Oh my... that view of the goblins marching and marching... :D

Nice game! It was fun to watch!

Now - one of you, say that goblins are useless!
My aim now is to beat the AI with goblins AND less losses than the AI. And with xp modificator on 70.

P.S: Thank you for that - I never had a good look at the new Drakes, which made it even more interesting. ;)
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

The match up idea is cool, but equal gold for the human & AI makes the challenge too low to really be impressive. :P Cheers up for your next attempt with more gold to AI!
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

I do beleive the goblin spam issue has been addressed before…
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Oh well. I proved that Goblins don't suck to people who think they do and I proved that the Goblin spam method works.

@krotop: I know, but I wasn't sure if the Goblins were up to it. I think I could win though. In the last few turns, I stopped recruiting because it would just be a waste of time considering I was going to win anyway, and I racked up close to 100 per turn which would allow me to recruit double to triple the amount of goblins than I had room for.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Hulavuta wrote:Oh well. I proved that Goblins don't suck to people who think they do and I proved that the Goblin spam method works.
You proved that spamming goblins can beat the AI. I would like to see some actual PvP goblin spam use. I feel that it would soon become a sorry state of affairs, for the poor goblins.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Just_end_turn

Post by Just_end_turn »

Actually, against the Ai, you can win with only augurs vs UD and give AI a bit more gold, so any unit spam works against any Ai faction.

[Even corpses or bat only work ;) ]
aXidal

Post by aXidal »

Just_end_turn wrote:Actually, against the Ai, you can win with only augurs vs UD and give AI a bit more gold, so any unit spam works against any Ai faction.

Oh I want to see someone beat the drakes with only woses, or undeads with goblins, orcs wth da or any faction with shamans. :P
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

The only faction with shamans in Rebels, in Default.
You proved that spamming goblins can beat the AI. I would like to see some actual PvP goblin spam use. I feel that it would soon become a sorry state of affairs, for the poor goblins.
I believe I used a decent amount of strategy. Along the way I came up with some good tactics for goblins, mentioned in my original post and shown in the replay.

Plus, playing against a player of course won't let you win, but the point is to show that if a player as bad as me can defeat the AI with only Goblins, they can serve some sort of purpose in a match right?
~Sierra
aXidal

Post by aXidal »

Hulavuta wrote:The only faction with shamans in Rebels, in Default.
I meant that beat any faction using only shamans =)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Oh, my bad.
~Sierra
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

aXidal wrote:I meant that beat any faction using only shamans =)
The shamans have been a perennial favourite for this kind of challenge. I remember people challenging themselves to beat Heir to the Throne with them way back in the pre-1.0 days, long before the "Elvish Sorceress" branch was opened up. There's just something about that 3-2 attack that appeals to the inner challenge-hound.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

But it has slow, so it's not completely worthless. Maybe beating a campaign with only Ulfs....heheheh
~Sierra
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

aXidal wrote:
Just_end_turn wrote:Actually, against the Ai, you can win with only augurs vs UD and give AI a bit more gold, so any unit spam works against any Ai faction.

Oh I want to see someone beat the drakes with only woses, or undeads with goblins, orcs with da or any faction with shamans. :P

I'm going to try the "Northeners with only DA" now... :D

I must say, that was extremly easy...
Attachments
2p_-_Hamlets_replay.gz
Who needs melee?
(24.97 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Lol, I didn't think it would be that easy. You did level them up though, right? (no time to watch right now)

Maybe I should rename the topic to something about challenges or something? IDK
~Sierra