Eyestalk

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TrollSlayer

Eyestalk

Post by TrollSlayer »

How do you kill the Eyestalk in TSG, Into the Depths? By throwing pikemen and such at it? But then the Revenant joins the fray. Oh, so you bring the Mage to smash the Revenant? The Eyestalk and the Revenant attack the Mage. Ouch. I'm in the Novice difficulty level, if that helps.
Devas

Re: Eyestalk

Post by Devas »

You have 3 possibilities in front of you:
- You find out the solution by yourself as everyone did
- You stop playing the campaign, or better yet, Wesnoth
- :unit hitpoints=0
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Greeeaaat response...

What had (probably wrong), what a load of cash from prev. Scenarios, which I then spent on healers an fighters, although I seem to remember the level 2s were particularly effective, with two levelled up shamans. Hope that helps :)
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Devas wrote:You have 3 possibilities in front of you:
- You find out the solution by yourself as everyone did
- You stop playing the campaign, or better yet, Wesnoth
- :unit hitpoints=0
Ouch. That's a bit harsh to a new player.
TrollSlayer, this would have been better asked in the Strategies/Tips forum, but don't worry about it. I would suggest taking a look at the walkthroughs if you are struggling in a campaign. :eng:

Go to "Play" at the top of the forums, then Walkthroughs of Official Campaigns. Then The South Guard.
Or click this link. http://wiki.wesnoth.org/TheSouthGuard#Into_the_Depths
TrollSlayer

Post by TrollSlayer »

Rofl, that's okay, I thought it was funny what Devas said.

I looked at the guide, but there didn't seem to be a lot of info on the Eyestalk.

I never thought about recalling troops. Duh. But I find I rarely level up anything. I don't know why. And how can you level up shamans before they get, um, killed?

Thanks you guys!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

You really have to work to feed shamans weak kills. If possible, I like to give the enemy leaders to them.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

They might be weak at first, but, don't get on their bad side once they're level 3/4 ;)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Ugh. I hated the eyestalks. My solution was to SPAM units at it until it died.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Zerovirus wrote:Ugh. I hated the eyestalks. My solution was to SPAM units at it until it died.
Spam Elvish Fighters. It's -10% resistant to blade, ya know. :wink:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

TrollSlayer wrote:Rofl, that's okay, I thought it was funny what Devas said.

I looked at the guide, but there didn't seem to be a lot of info on the Eyestalk.

I never thought about recalling troops. Duh. But I find I rarely level up anything. I don't know why. And how can you level up shamans before they get, um, killed?

Thanks you guys!
Levelling up units is pretty crucial in Wesnoth. Once you get to later campaign levels, the scenario designers will assume you have a solid number of L2 and L3 units to recall. If you don't, well, you'll probably get stomped.

As others have indicated, one way to level up units is to "feed" them kills. Use other units to bring an enemy down to low health, then send in your preferred unit to get the kill and the XP bonus. Other useful points:
* It's not usually possible for a unit to go from recruitment to L2 without some form of healing in between. Whether that form of healing is a village, a healer, or the in-between-scenario healing, without it, they're likely to die before gaining enough XP to level up.
* Following on from that, recalling L1 units with mid-to-high amounts of XP will help you achieve more L2 units.

Many people regard levelling up their units to be one of the most fun aspects of Wesnoth. Just be careful not to get too attached to them - you shouldn't lose them too often if you're playing well, but there's a strong element of chance in Wesnoth, so it's practically inevitable that you will lose some higher-level units.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

The AI's actually pretty good about killing your units when they're close to leveling up, so you've got to protect them. Once a see a level 1 unit has a decent amount of xp, start trying to give it the kill shots, and I try to make sure the enemy had no way of killing it. Once you get a unit to level 2, you really don't have to put much effort to get it to level 3. It's likely to make a lot of kills anyway.
silent

Post by silent »

The best way I found to kill the eyestalk quickly in this scenario was to place minister hylas (your white mage, he was level 3 for me, and therefore a Mage of light with illuminate), with the elf druid who joins you right behind him. Due to the ranged attack of the eyestalk being arcane, plus illuminate cancelling out the underground bonus, this will kill the eyestalk quickly before too many reinforcements come to cause trouble.

You probably should go back several levels to level some units, in particular you will need a few, 1-2 depending on difficulty (quick for preference) sorceress' and certainly royal guards to soak up damage. There is also an event in the cave you need to trigger rather quickly to, for added help.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Hmm, it was a while ago, but IIRC, my swordman (or was it a royal guard?) made quick work of the eyestalk. I also had my whitemage behind him so he would get healed…
TrollSlayer

Post by TrollSlayer »

Okay... I get it... thanks guys!