Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fog_of_gold

Re: Era of Magic v0.8.6

Post by fog_of_gold »

IPS wrote:Hmmmm... Dimensional gate 2 should be a bit more stronger than the Dimensional Gate 1.

Maybe 1 more mele dammage and 2 more hp for each upgarade to the magic gate. This does them a bit more easly to upgarade ;)
Was already mentioned. Two things against it:
1. It's the same unit. There are no advances. It's just that the DG2 carries a soul but DG1 doesn't.
2. You can't advance from DG1 into DG2. The DG2 is only able in master's era.
Arcane should be a good idea for the atack of the Dimensional Gates, This balance them a bit because are low the units with high res to arcane, but there is many units with high fire res (All the drakes, The Lesser Daemon (Unit of Extended Era) with 70% fire res, and others)

But the magic gates will have many troubles with the kharos units because their arcane res (over all the sun guard)
Yes. Every kind of damage types have got differents but arcane have the fewest of all.
Last edited by fog_of_gold on April 9th, 2010, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

fog_of_gold wrote:The Dimensional Gates are too different in power against different factions:
While they are worthless against drakes, they are very strong against undead. I'd suggest to change the attack to arcane because at most, there aren't much differents. It's still really difficult to level them and one reason is, that you can't get to the wounded units very often. But we mustn't increase the moves because else, you'd just swarm them to catch villages. So I'd suggest to give him skirmisher since this unit teleports now. You said a while a ago, you aren't able to draw circles on non-stable ground so to balance having skirmisher you could just disallow to teleport in(to) deep water.
I agree with everything, you've mentioned. I am going to release new version soon.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IPS

Post by IPS »

Nice, a bit slower is a bit better, less sync errors in the server.

I will update it in 0.8.7 because its taking a bit longer than I had thinked :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Just another thing about the Dimensional Gates: to be not able to teleport through deep water is a very big maybe even too big disadvance since you can escape with into deep water, if you got damaged being save from nearly every attack, if there isn't a swimmer or a flyer. You won't be very likly to use swimmer/flyer expect the drakes since there isn't a good mage-swimmer/flyer. But to defeat DG, you'll need magic/fire. The result is, that I suggest to set the shallow water's movementcost to one.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, what is now about the campaign?

Edit: And a bug: the current DG is the old, unbalanced one.

Edit: Weird. Maybe it's my fault since this unit is listed correct. in the summoner's folder. Another thing: I think you can remove the third gate now since we decided to remove the 2nd gate and we won't need him anymore.

Edit: Now I got the problem: The ageless era is still not changed. That made the bug.
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

fog_of_gold wrote:Edit: Now I got the problem: The ageless era is still not changed. That made the bug.
That will be fix in the next update :D
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

fog_of_gold wrote:I suggest to set the shallow water's movementcost to one.
Ok.
fog_of_gold wrote:Oh, and by the way, what is now about the campaign?
The campaign is going to be released in July.
fog_of_gold wrote:Weird. Maybe it's my fault since this unit is listed correct. in the summoner's folder. Another thing: I think you can remove the third gate now since we decided to remove the 2nd gate and we won't need him anymore.
Next time I'll move it to my temporary folder.
Creator of Era of Magic

fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

I don't know, why I still feel the summoners are too strong. Am I that much good or is the ai that much bad? (I'm not able to use internet while playing, so no chance to play in multiplayer) -Anyway. Maybe it can help, if I just share my experience of the summoners with you:
-At the start, don't recruit too much DG but every turn, grow the number of recruited DGs per turn.

-Play defensive until you have enough leveled DG. Because of this, you'll be very likly to choose Rhamis for warriors.

-try to prepare enemy units with your units for DGs:
+don't fear using worser weapons
+the less attacks an attack have, the more it'll get useful since your unit will get very unlikly to kill the enemy if it isn't intentional
+if you play against ai, circle wounded units with tanks because the ai won't make your units kill his wounded units.
=> Jinns with their magical dagger are very useful because they have a big moverange, a small chance to miss, one beat for the attack and much enough hitpoints to save DGs and stay more than one turn alive.

-The Rhamis are good tanks as long as you aren't able to get enough earth elements
-every element is nearly always useful expect the water element without water and of course, you mustn't use fire elements against drakes since the drakes will be nearly immune and they'll be lead by fire elements. So always try to have every element. At first, the air elements are the best one because there aren't very much units.

-Protect the air elements well since they can be defeated very easy if you just circle them. Their average resistence is about 30% so resistence+hitpoints makes just a little bit more than 20 hitpoints to take damage before falling into death. If the element stay alive at least one turn, the enemy can get him since it's got skirmisher+regenerate+big movement range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another recruit+advance problem: DGs and the recruitable elements/Rhamis. I'd suggest to just remove elements. The Rhamis will need to be as strong as the elements before we can remove him, so left him at first.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Bug:

The Kirios L4 unit wipes out everyone on the map if it gets a kill with solar beam. Happened three times in a row on Weldyn Channel, Bluewater Province, and Hornshark Island.
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

Is the name of the campaign already known?
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Araja wrote:The Kirios L4 unit wipes out everyone on the map if it gets a kill with solar beam. Happened three times in a row on Weldyn Channel, Bluewater Province, and Hornshark Island.
Please, give me more details. I have checked it 3 times and I haven't found any bugs.
fog_of_gold wrote:Maybe it can help, if I just share my experience of the summoners with you
It would be great to compare your tactics with others. Currently I don't have enough time to play the era (I'm busy with the campaign and with my real life), so I can't say much. Theoretically the Summoners should be balanced, but practically there is a lot of possibilities (luck factor etc). I think, that the main problem (if it exist of course) with them is caused by DGs. Without DGs this faction is completely different in power and tactics. Try to play some skirmishes without these units and give me a report.
Sandermatt wrote:Is the name of the campaign already known?
The working name is "To Lands Unknown" (TLU) and if nothing changes, this will be the official name for the campaign.
Creator of Era of Magic

fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

I just played some times with the summoners, without DGs and I saw, how less I'm confidant with the summoners (recruiting Jinns against Loyalists). But anyway, they looks balanced (without DG). I won in my usual, slow speed, with a usual amount of remaining troops, with a usual amount of remaining gold. So it's quite sure, that the summoners are more or less balanced.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Odd, it always happens for me. Whenever a Kirios hits with a solar beam, even if it doesn't kill it's target, it will invariably wipe out everyone on the map. Interestingly, this only happens on defence; I tried attacking once with a Bowman, an Elementalist and a Bone Shooter, and it worked fine.

In Caves of the Basilisk I tried them both on defence and attack, against Default and EoM units, and with debug mode both on and off. I then played Cynsaun Battlefield in Era of Magic Masters, taking a Sun Champion as my leader. I levelled it up from enemies spawned through debug, and then made it kill a unit recruited by the enemy. One hit with the solar beam and everyone dies :shock:

I tend to come across as over-critical, so I have to say the era is great. Lots of variety in the units and alot of their advancement paths are very neat, like the Salamander line. It may well be the first UMC era I've played where all the units are animated, and some of the higher level attack animations are a joy to behold. Watching a Guru, Wonderful Djinn, Mystical Toad, or Master of Fire obliterate a target is just fun to watch. Anyway, great era :)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

I am sure this bug was fixed a few weeks ago. I've checked ones again and it works fine. Do you have the latest version of the era? Maybe you should post a replay? Does anyone else encounter the same problem?
Creator of Era of Magic

Araja

Post by Araja »

I re-downloaded the era and this still happens...I would like to post a replay but I'm not sure how to get a Kirios for it. Because it's a level 4 unit I would have to somehow level a Sun Champion, which would involve either me controlling both sides, playing SX, or using debug mode. Or making it so my enemy can only recruit fog clearers or something...Hmm.

How would you like me to get a replay?
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Do you have Ageless Era installed?
Creator of Era of Magic