should lev 2 Gryphs have Skirm ability?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

donkey_noob_trash1

should lev 2 Gryphs have Skirm ability?

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

My brother and I were discussing gryphons recently, and he was saying that the level 2 gryph is probably his #1 candidate for crappiest level-up. They don't get that much more HP, don't do very much more damage, and don't get more strikes. So... I raise the question, should level 2 gryphs get skirmish ability? Presumably, by the time a gryphon and its rider are level 2 units, they've learned how to fly around ZoC, or more than 5 feet off the ground. I mean, if level 2 thieves can skirmish, I would HOPE that a level 2 gryphon can too... :hmm: What say you all?
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: should lev 2 Gryphs have Skirm ability?

Post by Velensk »

No. Griffon Masters may not be a huge improvement over griffons, but griffons are easilly one of the best lvl 1 units on the feild anyway.

I'm not against buffing the griffon master but the skirmisher ability would be far too strong.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

I agree with Velensk. Fly movement type, lot of movement points and skirmisher seems like nearly godlike combo. Even as they are, the griphons are kind of hard to corner...
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Just realized this post is in the wrong forum section. Oops...
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yeah, I was thinking that this was in the wrong section.

Anyway, if it had Skirmisher ability, it gives it the advantage that it's movement should be used for. While a Saurian fighter and just run between two guys' zoc and hit the target, a Gryphon can fly around and hit the target from behind.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Des

Post by Des »

I fail to see why, of all things, skirmisher is what you chose to buff them with. They already move a great deal and can fly to surprise attack units from the fog. That seems to be quite enough. Skirmisher would mean a wall of units would do even less to protect fragile units against fog attacks.

It's just too powerful to have a high movement unit with skirmisher as a kicker.

Instead of this, there could be a very slight hp buff of maybe 1-2 points, to ensure that the unit is still a glass cannon: high movement, high damage, but relatively easy to bring down with ranged damage on 50% defense.

But even that change would require some really good reasons, more than just the level up is the worst in the game.
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:I mean, if level 2 thieves can skirmish, I would HOPE that a level 2 gryphon can too...
I mean, if level 2 thieves can skirmish, I would HOPE that a level 5 fire dragon can too...

Note that the Gryphon Master gains 2 MP over the Gryphon Rider, making it the fastest unit in the game since it has the flying movetype and the four other Default Era units with 10 MP are all land units... Perhaps being the best unit in the game in a factor (movement) compensates for an otherwise mediocre buff, especially in a scout?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]