Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bellerophon

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Bellerophon »

8) finally gathered the willpower to stop by the local bookstore yesterday, books to be read: Necronomicon, Lovecraft, Blade Itself and Best Served Cold by Abercrombie. see ya guys in a week or so. :mrgreen:
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

The Arts of the Muslim Knight The Furusiyya Art Foundation Collection -um it says here "concept and direction by Bashir Mohamed" - I suppose that counts as "author" -Skira press 2008.

It has beautiful pictures and a lot of info on historical eastern weapons and armor + accesories - I love the archer's rings, also the huge Persian single-edged cutting swords. If you do art for Wesnoth and run out of ideas for fancy or "foreign" (including non-human) weapons, then I would highly reccomend this book to you.

If you need someone to use the implements in this book or similar on someone else for money, well, then perhaps I might know someone who knows someone or something, don't worry about it, it's a joke of course, I'n not an assassin or hitman.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Just finished the graphic novel "Maus". If you would like a moving and interesting story about how a Jewish man and his wife have to deal with the Hollocaust. I highly recommend it. The characters are portrayed as animals depending on their nationality and race (a lot like george orwells Animal Farm).
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

o.O

My Eng class has to read that this week. You sure you're not from my school? :P
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Did anyone else think that Animal Farm was just a fairy tale on their first read through?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

No. But then the first time I read it was last year, so it's hard for someone my age to think of such a clearly allegory tale as nothing but a fairytale :P
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Fablehaven, though it was so childish I think I'm gonna drop it. About a couple of kids who find out their grandparents are caretacers of a bunch of mystical creatures who live in the woods around their house. Du-umb.

Current reading:

A latin dictionary. :P

Medax, mendax, bracchae tuae conflagrant!
(Literally: Liar, liar, your pants are on fire!
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Quietus wrote:Just finished the graphic novel "Maus". If you would like a moving and interesting story about how a Jewish man and his wife have to deal with the Hollocaust. I highly recommend it. The characters are portrayed as animals depending on their nationality and race (a lot like george orwells Animal Farm).
excellent graphic novel.

I'm currently reading an English translation of Buddenbrooks, the Fall of A Family, by Thomas Mann. I wish I had the german original text, because apparently most of the nuance of language/dialect shift is untranslatable.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Maus has the curious distinction of "being a graphic novel before graphic novels were cool".
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I've read Maus I and II in 6th grade, they were good, but that one part with all the bodies stacked on top of each other is kind of gross.

I've currently finished up Jurassic Park, am reading The Lost World, but I have to read The Golden Compass for class.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Hulavuta wrote:Golden Compass
Is that the one with daemons and Lyra? If it is I found it a good read, I think it was made into a film but I avoided watching it, didn't look all that good.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The movie was terrible.
Orick

Post by Orick »

Catch 22. For the 31243324 time. I am going to refer to this book in forthcoming exams in school, so I had to remember some things. ;]

I simply love it, I laugh everytime :)
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I started Hamlet this morning... and finished it... in one sitting. It was an act of desperation by a master procrastinator. Now to write the essay comparing it to Sophocles' Electra. What a great way to spend to spend my sunday.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

@cloud, yes that's it

@Gambit, I might've thought that, but the foreword said otherwise, and we also read it for class when we were learning about the events that Animal Farm represented.

P.S. I got a 90% when we took the test on it.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra